PDA

View Full Version : Taking first-ever vacation w/ DS... please help us figure out what to bring!

autumngrrl
05-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi all,
DH & I are taking our 3 mo DS on his first vacation; We're flying to Las Vegas for some R&R and sunshine, and we'll be gone 4 nights. My question to you all you pros is this: what are the absolute necessities that we should buy/bring? DS has slept in his crib at night from day one, sometimes in our bed from 6-9am, and then usually naps in his stroller or swing (unfortunately for us, since this can be very tough... we're working on it!). The hotel wants to charge $50 per night for a crib rental, which is crazy, so we are going to forgo it for the trip. We thought we could just bring his sleep positioner which he still uses every night and just co-sleep for the trip, but perhaps someone has another suggestion?

We will bring his infant car seat stroller, and I planned to buy a travel swing. Other then clothing, formula, bottles, etc, am I forgetting anything? I think we'll have to sponge bathe him in the sink, unless there's another solution? Help! This is getting a little overwhelming....

TIA!!!

Ami
05-09-2005, 04:23 AM
If you were taking a pack and play that would be perfect for sleeping and naps. My daughter slept in her car seat for the first 5 months next to our bed. I asked my sister (Mom of 3) where she had her babies sleeping seeing that I didn't want my DD in the crib and I was BFing so it was more convenient just to have her next to me by the bed. The carseat worked great! She wasn't moving around so I didn't have to worry about belting her in and didn't have to worry about her head getting flat from sleeping one side or the other.

Don't panic about the trip-if you forget something you can always go buy it. Relax and enjoy it.

Ami

callalillyanne
05-09-2005, 07:06 AM
I agree, relax and enjoy your trip! I flew cross-country when DD was 3 mos. and it was just fine! I did have to change a dirty diaper mid-flight in the middle of turbulence though, so be prepared, LOL. It must have looked pretty funny, me swaying all over the place, trying to change DD with her wiggling all around on the little changing table in the tiny airplane restroom :)

We coslept with her, and it worked out really well! If you are comfortable doing it, I would say go for it. The pack and play would also be another option (my DD has always co-slept so I didn't even think about it). I would say go with whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

Also, we bathed DD in the sink, but if I would have thought of it I would have purchased one of the inflatable infant tubs that they make for travel. DD loves her bath, and I think she may have been more comfortable in one of those...the sink is a little akward.

Have fun on your trip!

HTH,

nd93
05-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Also, since you'll be taking swimsuits (I assume, since you're going to LV for sun!) you could just get in the tub with DS and bathe him there. You're only going to be gone 5 days so if you're trying to not spend a lot of money on things you'll only use a little that's another option. Although I must say my family loves the inflatable tubs, but we just use them at home. I usually just "make do" when travelling.

Have fun!!

autumngrrl
05-09-2005, 08:20 AM
I never heard of an inflatable tub. grat idea! DS loves his nightly bath, so I'll look into it. thanks!

any othe ideas?

callalillyanne
05-09-2005, 08:36 PM
One other thing I would recommend, if you are comfortable wearing your baby, is to bring a sling. I bought one specifically for our trip and I have ended up using it all the time! It really calmed my daughter during the colicky months and now whenever she gets fussy....Plus, the sling is really good to have for use in the airports, and you can use it to discreetly nurse (or give a bottle) during takeoff/landing so that the baby's ears don't hurt.

HTH!

autumngrrl
05-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the sling suggestion! We'll definitely bring the baby bjorn.

Another question that's plaguing me... how do we clean and/or steralize DS's bottles???? We're staying in a hotel but don't have a dishwasher or microwave, so how do we clean the 6+ bottles per day? Help!

callalillyanne
05-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Hmmmm that's a tough one. I think you may have to go back to the old-fashioned way and just wash everything by hand in hot water for a few minutes and set it out to dry...you could get a bottle drying rack at BRU or someplace like that. You can also buy brushes that are meant for cleaning bottles there.

I usually use a microwave sterilizer at home, but when I was at my parents' house I just put them in the dishwasher and let them go through the drying cycle. It worked out just fine. I am sure if you hand wash your bottles in nice hot water for about 5 mins it will be safe for your DS. I know that the playtex ventair bottles that I just bought say not to put them in a sterilizer! So washing them in this manner must work (it is what the instructions recommend if you don't have a dishwasher).

Sorry I can't be of more help here! Maybe someone else has another suggestion?

HTH,

autumngrrl
05-09-2005, 09:30 PM
OT, but we use Playtex Ventaire bottles and have often steralized them in the microwave! I never even read the instructions! I wonder why that is...?

Thanks for your feedback on the bottle-washing topic!

callalillyanne
05-09-2005, 09:37 PM
That's funny, LOL. I would probably have done the same thing, I just happened to be leafing through the tiny little booklet for some reason...I don't think you can really do any harm to them by sterilizing them. I don't know why they say not to! I have tried to think of a reason, but none come to mind :) It's funny all of the little "rules" that come with all of the baby products we buy, isn't it?! Sometimes you have to chuckle a little bit to yourself ;)

I hope you are feeling better prepared for your trip now, I know you'll have a great time!

mommato2boys
05-10-2005, 06:54 PM
I went to Vegas in March with a three month old, so I know first hand!!!! We drove thoug so I had a little more room...DS slept in his stroller just fine. As far as bath, I took my baby tub BUT we drove, that isn't practical for airplane flight...get the inflatable tub....also, I got the huggies presoaped wash cloths, they work great and are very easy to carry and you don't have to worry about the baby wash bottle leaking. Just make sure you get the ones with soap already on them, (they have both types with and without soap) and then you just toss them in the trash. i took my stroller and took a carrier....just fyi, IF you go to see the Treasure Island show outside, they do not allow stroller out on the sidewalk during the show, it gets to busy so take the baby in the carrier that night! Also take a good sized diaper bag, big enough for a day out, Vegas is a lot of walking and you don't want to have to return to your room any more than necessary. Also, I put my wallet and personal items in the bag so I only had to carry one bag no purse.
I washed the bottles in the sink...I washed the sink out every night with lysol wipes and then washed them in hot water. Take a little bottle of Dawn and a bottle brush. I would let them air dry on a towel at night. I used bottle water to fill my bottles.
Hope this helps, Where are you staying?

autumngrrl
05-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Wow, thanks for such great advice! The only thing I don't follow is the huggies presoaped washclothes as they relate to bottle leaking. What exactly did you need them for? Our bottles don't leak (playtex ventaire) but I am planning to take tons of bibs since DS does spit up a bit.

I'll definitely throw the baby bjorn into the suitcase. thanks for the reminder!!!

I'll also pick up lysol wipes for the sink; great suggestion, thank you.

So much to remember to bring! We'll pack a tiny bag and save the big one for DS's stuff. ;-)

ps- we are staying at the new Wynn Hotel.

WooChx
05-11-2005, 10:41 AM
A few thoughts/things we have done while traveling:

1. Just get in the bathtub with baby. Fill a warm bath, get in, have DH pass you the baby - enjoy. Always worked for us.

2. At 3 mo.s co-sleeping was easy. If not, we've put DD in the bathtub on cushions, in a large open suit case, and pulled out dresser drawers. We used a sleep positioner, at that age she couldn't roll over so it worked well. Sounds crazy, but use what you have - its only for a few days. If you think about it, at that age its no different that bringing a crib.

3. Wash the bottles in the sink with hot water. DS will be fine.

4. Don't forget the sunblock.

Just go with the flow and try not to worry. The majority of mothers in this world do not have the Fischer Price luxuries we have been made to believe we need. Use common sense and have fun!

autumngrrl
05-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks for your suggestions! One thing though is that my pediatrician told me no sunblock for a 3-month old. Have you heard otherwise?

mommato2boys
05-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Okay, let me explain...the huggies wipes presoaped are for bathing....they are little disposable wash cloths for bath time...they can be folded up small and won't leak into your luggage...take these instead of a bottle of baby wash...KWIM?

The Wynn hotel is supposed to be really really nice. I took an extra towel of my own to set the bottle on to air dry.....another color other than white...that way the maids will leave it alone and won't think the towel is the hotels...I hope this makes more sense now. Sorry for the confusion.

mommato2boys
05-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I have heard that too as far as sunblock...I think it is 6 months and up...not really sure why but I always heard that the train of thought was that a baby that young shouldn't be in the sun....but I don't really know either....just take a hat and extra blanket to use as a sun blocker if the baby is in the stroller.
There might be sunblock to use on a smaller infant but you would have to check it out....
Have fun though!!!!

Smiles81
05-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Last year when I went on vacation the first time I used the playtex bottles with the disposable liners. I loved it so much, that I used it all the time now. All you do is bring a bottle or two, a box of liners, and some extra bottle nipples. It works great. HTH
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04