PDA

View Full Version : Black cord Alpha 7: Fall/winter only?

punrocker
05-12-2005, 11:24 AM
I waited too long to buy the black canvas Alpha 7, and now am left with the choice between black cord or camo. The black cord A7 doesn't appear to be vinyl coated, like the Mothership bags. I've always associated corduroy with fall and winter, and since I don't think I've worn or owned anything corduroy since I was in high school in the early 80s, I'm not sure the black cord A7 would be practical as a year-round bag. I'm not crazy about camo, but I could probably live with it if it meant having an A7, LOL--and if I could retire my old-style LT (black with white stitching)!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. TIA! :)

audball
05-12-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm a firm believer in that you wear the bag and not the bag wears you - so I would say go with whichever one attracted you first. I didn't think the black cord would be a general problem with wardrobe (cuz black goes with everything, right? :)), but my concern would be with the black interior; not that much that can be done, because other than the orange cord, or the brown and pink vinyl, I think all the A7s come with a black interior ("black hole" effect). I have a red canvas, and sometimes the black interior is a little troublesome. But for the most part, the bag is the perfect depth - so items don't swim around too much.

The A7 camo always struck me as a little funny because it wasn't a true camo - the reminded me of an 80s Atari game :)..the black set into the green is a funky, blocky print...

But as far as versatility, I love this bag. I think Fleurville is making a mistake discontinuing this bag!

punrocker
05-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. :) I guess I'm not so much concerned about the black cord matching anything I own (my clothes are mostly black, as are my handbags), as the material being suitable for year-round use. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to order the black canvas A7, which sold out shortly before Mother's Day. D'oh!

All my diaper bags (and regular bags) have black exteriors and interiors, so the "black hole effect" won't be anything new...I'd probably feel blinded by any light colored interiors, LOL!

You're right about the camo print; it does have that pixelated/blocky Atari 2600 look. I think babygeared.com aptly described it as a "digital camo" print. :) Hmm, maybe that might work better for an aging punk rocker and ex-techie geek....

callalillyanne
05-13-2005, 07:15 AM
The digital camo is definitely blocky, and definitely reminds me of Atari, LOL ;) You know what though? That is the camo that the Army is currently wearing in Iraq. I saw an Army guy at the airport wearing the same print! So I guess Fleurville is very fashion-forward indeed, keeping up with the times! LOL! :) I just thought that was funny :)

FWIW, I don't think black cord is only for the winter. I have an orange cord and will continue to use it this summer! I love my A7! Also, I think that Pokkadots.com still has to the black canvas? It might be worth it to check, that is, if you haven't already ;)

And I agree that Fleurville is making a mistake to discontinue this bag! The new sling tote is awesome, but a completely different bag, there is definitely room for both, if you ask me ;)

HTH or at least is worth a smile :)

punrocker
05-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks, Anne! I had no idea the blocky camo was being used by the military--that's too funny!

I keep meaning to e-mail Fleurville or Pokkadots about this, but what is the cord's wale (is that the word?) like on your orange cord A7? It's hard to tell from the picture at Pokkadots (that's where I was eyeing the black canvas, BTW, but thanks for the tip!). Is it a narrower wale than the Mothership corduroy? (On the Mothership, the "rows" are easily visible.) Does the cord seem like it's durable, and not wearing out in high-friction areas like corners or edges?

I wish Fleurville would reconsider their decision to discontinue the A7. I wonder if anyone else will step in to fill the need for this type of bag....