PDA

View Full Version : Help...just bought Petunia Picklebottom bag but saw new Fleurville Sling Tote and am rethinking purchase.

jacquiro
05-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Anyone have opinions on which would be better for a new mom? Fleurville seems more practical (& washable!) but don't know if it's too heavy. I love my Petunia, but the "dry clean only" tag scares me. I'm also wondering which one is easier to organize. Thanks!

Emmas Mom
05-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Are you at all near a Nordstroms?? Cause they carry both bags & I saw them at our local store last weekend. I can't compare the two cause I've never really looked at the PP's but I do have a sling tote & LOVE it so far. The organization is fabulous & I'm a freak about organization. ;) When I bought the ST I did notice that the PP is larger but that's the only comparison I can give you. Sorry, not much help. :(

ETA: I saw the PP boxy backpack, I'm not sure if that's what you were referring to though.

jacquiro
05-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I am talking about the Petunia backpack/tote. I love the look and how light it is, but I'm worried that I'll get it filthy and it'll look awful in no time. I do have several Nordstroms nearby, but none of them carry diaper bags for some reason (I'm in Seattle). I've even called to make sure I wasn't just missing something.

Is Fleurville Sling Tote heavy? The main criticisms I've heard about the old Mothership bag was that it was too big and heavy. The Tote seems like a much better size, but I just want to make sure that it's still comfortable to carry around (although I love the clip-on stroller feature).

Thanks for the help.

nd93
05-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Have you tried the Nordstrom at Alderwood Mall? I was just there on Sat, and they had the sling tote, mothership, caden lanes, skip hops, diaper dudes, 2 red hens. They are in the baby section. I was amazed at their selection.

Emmas Mom
05-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Yes, check the baby section cause when I called my local Nordstrom the first time they said they didn't carry them either. Turned out I was transfered to handbags & not the baby section.

Honestly I don't think the ST is very heavy with nothing in it. Now, it's definitely heavier than my LE LT, which is what I WAS using, and it's heavy when I've got it packed with all my stuff & DD's stuff (including water bottles)....but I'm used to carrying my DD around so it doesn't really bother me. And yes, the clip on stroller feature makes it really easy I think. :)

jacquiro
05-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Hi...I appreciate the help, but I'm a newcomer to Seattle (currently live downtown) and I don't know where this is? I guess I'll also call the local stores again though...I didn't see any bags at all in the baby section of the downtown store though. Are they usually with the baby clothes?
Thanks again.

newmom03
05-24-2005, 12:14 PM
I have a PPB Boxy Backpack and loved it. That is until I had to have it cleaned. First, I had a hard time finding a dry cleaner that would even touch it. When I finally did find one that could do it on short cycle, the results couldn't have been more disappointing. After spending $16 to have it cleaned, it came back looking no better than when I dropped it off. The cleaner even specializes in handbags! I was told that short cycle does not yield very good results--well, obviously! PPB doesn't recommend using the regular long cycle. In addition, the fabric does not hold up very well - it snags very easily. Mine is starting to look tired and I'm pretty careful with it. I've had it less than a year and I don't use it every day. Now I'll probably stop using it alltogether.

I have a friend that has a Mothership. She loves it despite its' heft. The sling is smaller and more lightweight. I'd give that one a try. I wish it had been available before I bought my PPB.

nd93
05-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Alderwood Mall is in Lynnwood, north of Seattle in Snohomish county. If you live in the city, go north on I5 about 20-30 min. It's just past where I5 and I405 meet. The Nordstrom there was redone about a year ago and is bigger and nice. They have a nice variety of the higher end bags in the baby section. Kate Spade ones are in the handbags. When I was at the store on Mon they had both a pink and blue chocolate ST.

gatorsmom
05-26-2005, 11:20 PM
I have a PPB and love mine too. When I first got mine, I sprayed it inside and out with scotchgard 2 or 3 times and I have been using mine for 2 full years now without having to clean it (until recently). The scotchgarding really protected the fabric. I have the backpack and I can't imagine a different type of diaperbag. I love that I can wear it and have both hands free. I've never had mine snag and I love that it is soft and comfortable to wear. I lug this thing everywhere- it is my only diaper bag.

As for cleaning, I just typed in a suggestion to someone else who complained about dry cleaning their PPB. I suggest hand- washing it (alone) in cold water, reshaping, and then air-drying and finally following up with more scotchgard and maybe ironing the sides (to smooth out wrinkles). After working at a dry-cleaners, I could have predicted the poor result that last woman got. Dry-cleaning fluid almost always sets in water-based stains like fruit juice, milk, urine, soda, etc unless they are identified to the dry-cleaner and then pre-treated. A water-bath can completely wash away water-soluble stains and is ultimately better for the fabric. (Dry-cleaning, however, is still the best method for removing ink, grease, and any non-water based stains).