PDA

View Full Version : Which diaper bag for a 12 mo. old?

giluisca
05-20-2005, 11:06 PM
My DH and I are adopting our 1st child, a baby girl. She will probably be 12 mos. old by the time we get her. I imagine I won't need to lug around as much as someone with a newborn but what will I need to carry with me for a 12mo. old? What type of diaper bag would you guys recommend? In addition to the necessities I would like to also be able to carry my wallet, cell phone and PDA.

Gina

Smiles81
05-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Gina,
I have a 14 month old and I still carry a lot of stuff; you never want to be caught outside during a meltdown with no distractions. So while I don't carry 3 changes of clothes or 10 diapers I still use a nice normal sized diaper bag. My three bags are a timi and leslie large bebe (use this for 4+ hour trips) my timbuk2 small messenger or my haiku (which I love). These three bags have sections to keep mom suff separate from baby stuff. Another popular new bag is the fleurville sling tote. Here are some web sites to yet you starged:

www.haikubags.com
www.fleurville.com
www.timbuk2.com

Have fun.
I hope all goes well for you.
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

jamsmu
05-22-2005, 01:30 PM
I downsized to a small diaper tote (like one on e-bay) when DS was about 10 months. But now I use, and love, my Skip*Hop.

emmiem
05-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Congratulations! I have adopted two children. One came home at 8 months and the most recent at 10 months. In China, I used a Kecci but discovered that was way too big for home. I downgraded to a smaller bag. I use primarily my Kate Spade Fred backpack bag since I can be hands free when holding her or pushing the stroller at the mall. I have an active 4 yo so I need to have both hands. I don't put my bag on my stroller. Too easy to steal if you get distracted. In my diaper bag, I have 2-3 diapers, a travel wipes container, a bib, disposable table topper, changing pad, wallet, credit card case, cosmetic case, checkbook, phone, keys, lipstick. Sometimes I have a sippy cup or snack cup.I generally keep disposable cups, bibs, diapers, wipes, and straws in the car. I am now actually thinking even that bag might be too big and will use my Petunia Picklebottom Toddler tote. I have a Bumble messenger bag that I use but not that frequently. I don't know why. I guess its the backpack thing. I don't like the way a backpack looks on a dressier outfit but its just so easy. I never carry extra outfits. I did in the beginning have bottles. I used formula tubes and playtex disposable bottles with liners.
Michele

mlewis
05-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Gina, congratulations! I have a son adopted from Korea who came home at 8 months. At about 12 months I was carrying small snacks, extra outfit, 2-3 diapers, wipes case, and a bottle. I used a tote for trips that were short (grocery store, mall, church, etc.). I'm not a heavy packer, though.

dules
05-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Congratulations!

My DD is 17 months and I find that I packed more for her as she got to be a year and older than I did when she was a newborn...suddenly we needed toys, books, snacks and two of everything like spoons, sippy cups, etc. due to the "tossing" factor.

I carry 3-4 diapers, wipes, hand wipes, cream, antibacterial wipes, and a lightweight change of clothes (leggings and T shirt) plus all the things mentioned above.

My current favorites are the Skip Hop Dash, the Chester backpack and the Kecci Shanghai.

I hope this is helpful!

Best,
Mary