PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Fleurville Mothership or the Oi Oi Messenger bag?

golfgirl12_27
05-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Do you love it/hate it?

Best features?

I'm looking for a new diaper bag and these 2 are the only ones left on my list that I haven't seen in person (and can't see because no one has them in their stores).

Will they help keep me organized? I'm trying to learn how to minimalize my life (lol) because I tend to take way too much stuff with me. I can get rid of some of the junk that I haul around, but what I do keep has to be organized!

And if it helps, I currently have the Vera Bradley baby bag and I can't stand it.

TIA,
Suz
dd- Sophia 01.12.05

mommato2boys
05-28-2005, 08:02 AM
I don't have the mothership, I have seen it in person at USA Baby, not sure if you have one of those stores near you or not. The mothership looks very nice, looks big but to me it doesn't look HUGE, but most people say it holds tons. Since I have never packed it, I am not sure.
Two things that bothers me about the mothership, first, the fact that the strap does not adjust at all....I am short so most bags need to be adjusted for me to wear them. And also, if it doesn't adjust, it may not fit over the handle bars of a stroller to balance good enough.....but since I don't have this bag, maybe I am wrong...it seems to me it would "fit" over the stroller handles but maybe hang to low, KWIM? And the second thing, the magnetic closure. But, It maybe work well, since I have never had a bag with a megnetic closure, maybe it is great....my fear is if I over pack the bag, the closure would not work, KWIM? There are always that time when I have to grab an extra sweater or toy or something, and I wouldn't want the bag to spill open......that is may only worries about the mothership...but someone that actually has it, might be able to clarify these "problems". I like a zipper closure best, I have tried velcro and know that I don't like it as the main closure...to loud and when I do overpack, it doesn't work well. I have an old vera bradley baby bag, I liked it, and it held alot , but for some reason, this time around, I just don't want one....maybe cause there are such funkier and cooler bags out there now!!! It is a nice bag, good organization, if they would only come out with some really funky patterns!!!!
Hope this helps some or gives you maybe another train of thought....oh, and by the way, I found the mothership at USA Baby marked down to $74.XX, so some stores might be clearancing them out??!!!

carolshi
05-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I have the mothership and I absolutely love it. It is one of my favorite bags. I tend to be a heavy packer (I have 2 in diapers) and I always have plenty of space for the last-minute sweater or toy I have to throw in. I am short as well (well, 5'3") but it hangs fine on me. I agree that it would be nice to have an adjustable strap, but the nice thing about the current strap is the non-slip backing! So key when you are rushing around with a kid in one arm and holding the hand of the other! I also love the wipeable surface (my infant is a spitter upper), and as far as cuteness factor, it can't be beat. I get tons of compliments on it.

The magnetic closure does not bother me, even when I have the bag pretty "stuffed," but maybe that's me. I prefer magnetic closures over velcro anyhow.

My only complaint is the outside pockets...the side bottle pockets are pretty much useless as pockets for a bottle or sippy - I stick keys and cell phone in there for easy access though, which is nice. The outside flat pocket on the back of the bag could be a lot bigger so it could hold papers. As is, I'm not quite sure what it's good for, other than maybe some coupons or something.

HTH!

fuzzies_mom
05-28-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't have the MS (but I have seen it IRL) but I do have an Oi Oi that I LOVE! It kept me very well organized and comes with an insulated bottle holder bag and a changing pad. The magnetic closure doesn't bother me--I prefer it. I am a pretty heavy packer and it worked well, but there were times when I wanted just a bit more space. The MS is bigger and I would guess that it holds more.

My only complaints about the OiOi:
1) The shoulder strap does not adjust and it is no where near long enough for me to wear as a messenger (5'7"). I wear it on just one shoulder.

2) Mine is 3 months old and showing a bit of wear on the piping. I am not bothered by it, and it gets lots of hard use but it might bother you if you pay full price (I got the purple/lime on sale for only $50).

I have attached picts--the other bag is a Kecci for comparison.

HTH!
Alyssa
Mommy to Gabriel Peter 2/27/05

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/26462.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/26463.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/26464.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/26465.jpg

golfgirl12_27
05-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the info.

I tend to overpack as well (hence the learning how to minimalize my life remark in the original post). Doubt I will ever be able to do it which is why I need the organization help.

I will call our USA Baby and see if they have the MS- that's where we bought all of DD's furniture, the glider/ottoman, travel system, and bedding. Maybe they should give me one for free.......yeah right, but I can dream!

I am SO picky about things and this search for the "perfect" bag is about to drive me insane.