PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a bag for the pool....

sophiesmom
06-06-2005, 10:09 PM
I thought I had my mind made up with buying a whale bag, but I'm still torn between that bag and LLBean or LandsEnd totes. (is it ever easy to chose ANY kind of bag?!!). I will be taking my 2 kids, 4 and 2 years old.

These are my thoughts: (**all bags seem comparable in price)

whale bag: mesh, won't worry about throwing in wet towels at end of pool day, lots of pockets to keep organized, large enough for all our stuff.

ll bean tote: i think machine washable? great color choices, handle size choices. can monogram. big extra large size...however not many pockets.

lands end zip top totes: now have 4 inside pockets and 1 exterior. handle size choices, however not sure if washable.

i think i'm hung up on the totes because i like the look of the monogramming, i thought i'd get our last name.

anyone's 2 cents would be great...

hope this all makes sense i'm up too late!
Thanks!

holliam
06-07-2005, 06:56 AM
I think I'm going with the LLBean mesh adventure tote. Have you seen them?

Holli

sophiesmom
06-07-2005, 07:20 AM
I did, I will check them out again. It just didn't seem like it had any pockets in it...
thanks!

sophiesmom
06-07-2005, 07:44 AM
I just was on LL Bean's site and they have a reversible tote on sale for $14. It seems as large as my Vera Bradley miller bag, which I've been using at the pool (even though I don't like using it for the pool, too expensive!). I've found the VB bag is a great size for my needs...
hmmmmmm.....

tobycat
06-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Crate and Barrel has a nylon and mesh bag with plenty of pockets and also a zippered pocket on the inside. I think it looks better and easier to carry than the whale bag.

Nylon Tote

A jumbo carryall in fun, seasonal cherry. Outer mesh pockets keep sunscreen and beach necessities handy. The main compartment zips to keep out the sand. Two inner pockets—one zips, one's open—hold your valuables. Rugged, color-safe 100% acrylic is water-repellent and mildew- and stain-resistant.
• 100% acrylic
• Water repellent
• Mildew- and stain-resistant
• Machine wash

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1265&f=8580&q=tote&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/26921.jpg

sophiesmom
06-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Wow that looks nice! There is a C&B near me so I will try to check it out this weekend!

mysweetboy
06-09-2005, 11:14 PM
I just bought this bag today. I originally planned to get the mesh tote but liked the reversible tote much better. Wish it had more pockets, but that aside it will be a great pool bag to lug towels, lotion, toys, etc. At that price, I couldn't pass it up....plus I had an LL Bean gift certificate to use, so it worked out well. :)

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04
and a sweet baby girl due 10/05!

heidi_timms
06-09-2005, 11:46 PM
I love our whale bag. It holds a ton of stuff and I never have to worry about something not fitting. I also love how the pockets are on the outside of the bag, so it doesn't interfere with what's on the inside of the bag.
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

sophiesmom
06-10-2005, 11:30 AM
do you have the regular whale bag or the special one? it seems from the measurements that the sizes are the same (just more pockets in the special), but they say the special one is really big. ???

heidi_timms
06-13-2005, 07:36 PM
I have the special whale bag. It definitely is huge. It's nice because I can fit two large towels and a plastic basket w/handles filled with sand toys inside.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

sophiesmom
06-15-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks... I can't seem to visualize the size of the whale bag, the site says 15" high and 15" diameter, and that doesn't seem too big to me!

I checked out the crate and barrel one, it is nice but big, but big long ways. i'm only 5'2" and it looks HUGE on me!

by the time i get a bag it will be labor day and the pool will be closed!

zuzu
06-16-2005, 03:05 PM
I picked up the C&B bag too, but I'm not tall either, and am wondering if it might look strange on me. I'll have to fill it a bit and see how it looks. It is a nice size though - and very light. I really like that it can be zipped, too.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

sophiesmom
06-16-2005, 03:44 PM
I think i've decided to take my C&B one back. It definitely would hold a lot and I like the pockets and zipper, but I keep looking at myself with it in the mirror and it looks soooooooo big! I think I would feel funny carrying it!