PDA

View Full Version : What is most important when picking your diaper bag? Help me design my own bags!

JulieL
06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking of designing my own diaper bags and selling them locally. I would like to bump some ideas off of you and get your feed back on what it is you like/need most in a diaper bag. Things above I'm considering pretty heavily as what is best. I want to make a diaper bag that is very pretty but functional and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Things I think I will add is an outer pocket for bottle for baby or mom, a cell phone pocket, and an outer zip pocket for whatever. I'm trying to design a way to make it functional for moms who like messenger bags, and moms who don't. Lots of ideas are coming to mind but I haven't tried to make it yet so I'm not sure what is actually doable or not. I want pretty fabrics that are durable, but have yet to venture off into that road - I'm thinking maybe apholstery fabrics. I want to make two different sized bags, one medium size and one quit large for heavy packers. Also another question: Would you put a picture of your child on the front of your diaper bag if there was put a place for it, or not?

Thanks, any other feed back would be GREAT!!!

Also I e-mailed the Fields about this and have their approval for this post. Thank you so much!

mommato2boys
06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Personally, size is the first thing I look at. If it isn't an decent size, I can't use it. Then I look at the fabric and closure on a bag, I think that a zippered closure is best. Fabric choices are a must, I love sportier fabrics, camo is one of my favs! Pockets are good but must be functional, not to tall not to narrow either. Adjustable strap is nice for shorter people like me, or to adjust it to the stroller too.
this board is full of great bags, and all different types of ideas to make even the best bag, better. And everyone likes something different too!

jerseygirl07067
06-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Funny, I joked with DH that I wanted to do the same thing! Anyway, what I like in a bag is a light interior and something wider, not taller. I like to be able to open it and see everything inside. A few outside pockets are helpful too, as well as a very lightweight material.

Good luck with your plan!

Marcy

callalillyanne
06-08-2005, 08:22 AM
LOL, I too have thought about doing this ;) I think that pockets are my number one priority right now. The two different sizes would be good as well. I also think that there should be a light interior and the pockets should be placed near enough to the bottom of the bag so that they are stable. I myself like at least one interior bottle pocket. Also, I really like when the strap is attached to the bag via carabiner-type clips so that it can be hooked to a stroller easily ;)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

audball
06-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Great idea! Sounds like we have a consortium of new diaper bags coming (hee hee) :)...just wanted to add my $.02 too.

As a mom of 2, I find packing snacking cups the biggest challenge. I would actually vote for 2 bottle holders - but have them wide enough so that the glad snack cups or some other easy-to-find snack cup can fit...it would certainly save me from having to jumble through the bottom of my bag. If nothing else, at least a little ditty sack which keeps the cups organized! :)

-elastic pockets on interior
-mommy things mini-bag or wallet, which clips someplace
-agree with Anne about the light interior
-bag should stand up on it's own

Good luck!

dshaulae
06-08-2005, 10:43 AM
I have to let you and everyone know about a diaper bag that I purchased. I purchased a cutom maded bag from Ella Bags. They do look beautiful on the site, and that is why I purchased one for $130.00. It arrived and the initials on the bag were wrong, so I sent it back. I understand that mistakes happen!

I received a new one a couple of weeks later (six weeks all together), and the bag is cute. However, I have only used the bag for TWO months, and it looks worn! I rarely leave the house these days, so the bag is usually just sitting in the baby's room. Also, the liner inside the bag sticks to everything. I have a hard time putting the bottles in and taking them out, because they stick to the liner. I bought the matching changing pad and it is almost impossible to get it back into the bag they provided, due to the plastic liner on both.

I just ordered a bag for $50.00, and mostly use it now. I do not mind spending money if the product is good, and holds up longer than two months.

I think that you are on the right track looking into making cute bags with durable fabrics. The more pockets the better! Good luck on your quest in making cute & functional bags!

saschalicks
06-08-2005, 02:35 PM
I second the wide v tall bag. I voted for pockets, but I think adjustable strap is huge. I'm a heavy packer so I like it to not looked over stuffed from the outside too. HTH

MichelleRC
06-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Can you stand some more feedback? I think I have probably tried every bag out there at one time or another.
Here is what I have got to have:

-Elastic Pockets on the inside, one insulated would be a plus
-Water-resistant nylon interior
-A few exterior pockets, including a long slip pocket on the back of the bag and one for a cell phone
-Durable exterior fabric, I prefer something wipeable but pretty or funky (I am not a sporty bag kind of gal)
-Feet on the bottom
-Adjustable strap, slightly padded or at least one that doesn't dig into your shoulder
-Some kind of closure on top (Either zipper or flap with magnetic snap. Got to keep the little hands out).
Mmm, that's all I can think of for now.

Good Luck!!

JulieL
06-08-2005, 07:54 PM
This is GREAT - keep it coming! I'm all ears!!!

Also does anyone feel like they would put a small pic of their kid on the bag if there was a place for it?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

suzhatch1
06-08-2005, 08:03 PM
I second what Michelle said!

- Lots of pockets (elastic is great, especially for bottle pockets), -- Exterior pockets for quick grab items (cell phone, handy wipes, sunglasses)
- Definately feet on the bottom (I've found this is a huge plus to keeping the bottom of a bag clean).
- If you go with a vinyl exterior, have it be pliable & soft. The Timi & Leslie vinyl is great. So is the vinyl on the Fleurville Sling Tote. Some of the vinyl covered bags though use a vinyl that is really stiff & plasticy, kind of a big turn-off in my opinion.

Plus, cool, funky prints is always a plus!!

Good luck! And if you ever need a tester to try out one of your new bags....PICK ME!! Hee, hee, hee!! I'd love to experiment with a new bag!!

Suz :)

>Can you stand some more feedback? I think I have probably
>tried every bag out there at one time or another.
>Here is what I have got to have:
>
>-Elastic Pockets on the inside, one insulated would be a plus
>-Water-resistant nylon interior
>-A few exterior pockets, including a long slip pocket on the
>back of the bag and one for a cell phone
>-Durable exterior fabric, I prefer something wipeable but
>pretty or funky (I am not a sporty bag kind of gal)
>-Feet on the bottom
>-Adjustable strap, slightly padded or at least one that
>doesn't dig into your shoulder
>-Some kind of closure on top (Either zipper or flap with
>magnetic snap. Got to keep the little hands out).
>Mmm, that's all I can think of for now.
>
>Good Luck!!

boys2enough
06-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Could I please add my unsolicited opinion? ;-)

I dislike velcro closure. I currently have an Alpha 7 and I like it fine: backpack really comes in handy when travelling with 2 kids at the airport etc. My main "gripe" about it would be the velcro closures. (Ok, I also lost the shoulder strap so I can't sell it now... lol) They don't look secure at all, and they often snag on my clothes. Just my $0.02. :)

Good luck with starting your own business!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

firsttimemommy
06-09-2005, 05:55 AM
I think everyone has covered the options well, but here are the things I find most important:

1. tons of pockets! And one long/wide one does nothing for me unless there is no other place to put dipes/wipes (but I usually put those in the center/biggest area). Trying to put things in a wide one just makes a mess. Cell phone pocket and pen pocket would be GREAT as well as a bottle/sippy cup pocket or two

2. not heavy when empty! Once I pack it I dont want it to weigh a ton!

3.adjustable strap! (if it is meant to be worn messenger) I would have loved the Haiku had it had that - it hung too low on me and felt so weird.

4. An outside zip or slip pocket of some kind! To slide my receipts and keys into.

5. feet on the bottom! Crucial due to how much my bag will see the floor - I dont have the time or energy to be "worrying" about my bag (esp if it my everyday bag) while dealing with a one year old and two year old.

Those are the biggies. I am not a fan of Velcro, but if it were not a TON I could live with it. I also like the idea of "D" rings on the straps for more flexibility with hanging the bag, but it would not a deal breaker for me if it didn't have them.

Oh and no, I would not put a picture of my child on my bag.

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

cartersmom
06-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Size and organization is the key for me. It has to have pockets for holding smaller items and be big enough for two kids - I prefer wider to taller since it is too easy for little things to get lost at the bottom.

Definitely pick fun and funky fabrics since that is always the seller for me when I buy a new bag. If it is fun and new I'll be more inclined to buy it.

suzhatch1
06-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Ooohhh....I thought of one I forgot to mention in my earlier reply -

- A light colored interior (get rid of the black hole effect). Makes finding stuff in your bag *SOOO* much easier!! Dark interiors have become a big turn-off since diaper bags have to carry so much stuff & you have to find it quickly & easily.

(I'm not sure if someone else already mentioned this one, I thought I read thru the other replies & didn't see it, but I might have missed it).

Suz :)

mommato2boys
06-09-2005, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't put a picture of my children on the bag either, I am kinda paraniod about that.

mommabear
06-09-2005, 10:07 PM
I wish you would design the perfect bag:)
I personally am sick of all the velcro.
Also I like an open top bag vs one with a flap.
Another vote for the wider not taller style and adjustable straps.

indigo
06-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Lots of good ideas here!

Things I would add:

(for a messenger/backpack-style bag)

- short strap across the top to make it easy to grab when I am pulling it out of the car, or if I have my hands full and can't swing it over my shoulder right away

- wide outer pocket to stash changing pad and wipes in... I like this feature for when I have to change DD in a public restroom and I hang the bag off the back of the stroller or the door - means I can put stuff away one-handed without fiddling with zippers

- RE: picture of my child - I would *not* want it on the front of my bag, (1) because I am usually with my child when using the bag, and (2) I'm kind of a private person, I don't like logos or nametags or pictures on my clothing, much less anything that identifies me or my child. But maybe on the inside of the flap? That way if someone was trying to figure out who the bag belonged to they would know, but only if they were looking (not from across the room). Sorry, a bit paranoid I know!

Good luck! Let us know when you launch your designs!!

indigo
DD 7/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif
six months and counting!

pixelprincess
06-21-2005, 12:04 AM
You have some great feedback already. One of my biggest consideration is bag size. I don't like huge bags and it seems hard to find a good toddler size bag. So I'd a couple different sizes...one for new moms and a toddler size would be great.

I am not a fan of photo bags, but don't discount the idea entirely as they may be other mom's that might like it. In fact, a friend of mine uses this bag http://www.redenvelope.com/re/gifts/product_display/product_information.jsp?nc=95191&BV_SessionID=@@@@0912186795.1119329754@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdeaddemfhlfijcefecefedfgfdfmg.0&refPg=endeca_srch&N=0&Nr=searchable%3A0&Ntk=search&Ntt=bag+photo&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&initSrch=search&oid=14726045&nc2=1 as her diaper bag and it is pretty cute.

Good luck Julie!

smiliedds
06-21-2005, 08:47 PM
You've got loads of great ideas already. Here goes one more. I've always wanted to find a bag with zip out lining so I can just throw that into the wash! Maybe you can incorporate that :)

Rebecca

writeleigh
06-23-2005, 05:22 PM
I would second a lot of the things said here like:
1. Lots and lots and lots of pockets - many with elastic tops.
2. I prefer no flap (mesenger) closure, but I suppose that's totally an individual preference.
3. No, wouldn't want my child's pic on it.
4. An attractive little mommy bag that somehow attaches to the interior (maybe snaps on).
5. Great fabric choices.

I also wanted to add - I think it may be helpful to have 2 or 3 additional little cosmetic-type pouches that come with the bag (perhaps in a fabric that matches the interior or exterior print) would really help in organizing the bag's contents once packed. For example, you could put toys in one bag, first aid items in another, and so on.

saradrewes
06-25-2005, 08:53 AM
I think it is very important to have an insulated pocket that will hold a bottle or two and keep it cold.

DAKnits
06-25-2005, 10:18 AM
1. Waterproof exterior, but very pretty fabric and design, and zip closure for the entire bag (so nothing ever falls out). No flap -- this just makes it hard to get at items.

2. D-rings necessary so that hanging the bag on the stroller is an option.

3. light weight material so that the bag doesn't feel heavy before it's even packed

4. outside bottle pockets (two) for large bottles (Avent Size) with insulation material (MUST HAVE) -- one on either side of the bag.

5. one inside bottle pocket with elastic for Sippy cup

6. The inside of the bag should be able to be divided into two parts ... otherwise it's just one big mess. One compartment would be food related (cheerios, powder formula, fruit cups), the other would be clothes and bibs and burp cloths. On one of the sides should be a detachable "dirty" waterproof pouch for dirty or wet items. (being able to divide the center of the bag into two compartments is KEY for me!)

7. large pocket on the outside of the bag with a snap or zip closure for changing pad, diapers, wipes, and diaper creme. Velcro would be OK here too. This changing station compartment can have pockets inside of it -- one for wipes, another for the diapers, and a small one for diaper creme.

8. Two pockets on the other outside part of the bag: each pocket big enough to put keys and cell phone and wallet in one pocket, pacifiers and other little items in other pocket.

9. Bag should be able to be worn messenger style or backpack style -- I love this feature! And the straps should always be adjustable.

10. Edited to add: NO I would not put a picture of anyone on my bag.

Where can I buy my dream bag??? I would love to have someone make this for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

petersmom
06-26-2005, 10:05 PM
I want one of these bags tooo!!!!
Second, no picture on outside
I would only add a few jump rings, that can hold pacifiers or car keys and be easily accesable.
stephanie

DAKnits
06-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Ok ... this is TOOOOOO STRANGE, b/c I found bag I described almost to a T ...

I just wrote a review of this bag, but I just had to talk about this bag here b/c it's like I asked for this bag, and it appeared.

I was shopping at BRU today, and of course I had to look at diaper bags. I found this bag called the Perfect Mom Tote by Kathy Van Zeeland. I was going to buy a Skip Hop Dash in red to match my stroller as the bag I could get wet, take to the beach, give to my mom or DH when they had the baby instead of my PPB that I won't let them touch (LOL), but then I found this!

Here's how it measures up to my wish list (and now I am torn b/c I also want to take this bag around!!!!) ...

1. Waterproof exterior, but very pretty fabric and design, and zip closure for the entire bag (so nothing ever falls out). No flap -- this just makes it hard to get at items.

YES to EVERYTHING stated above!!!!! It could be a little fancier in terms of design, but there is cute white stitching, red pockets, and a cute miniature red metal purse decal on the front of the bag.

2. D-rings necessary so that hanging the bag on the stroller is an option.

YES!

3. light weight material so that the bag doesn't feel heavy before it's even packed

YES!

4. outside bottle pockets (two) for large bottles (Avent Size) with insulation material (MUST HAVE) -- one on either side of the bag.

YES!

5. one inside bottle pocket with elastic for Sippy cup

YES!!!

6. The inside of the bag should be able to be divided into two parts ... otherwise it's just one big mess. One compartment would be food related (cheerios, powder formula, fruit cups), the other would be clothes and bibs and burp cloths. On one of the sides should be a detachable "dirty" waterproof pouch for dirty or wet items. (being able to divide the center of the bag into two compartments is KEY for me!)

YES!!!!!!!! The inside of the bag isn't divided into two per say, but it has two huge elastic pockets in red that can be used to put food items in them -- this is what I use them for -- one pocket has her powder formula case so I don't have to search for it (but you could fit more in that pocket), and the other pocket has two different cereal containers, and a glass jar of fruit with a spoon (this pocket also has room to spare). Or, you could put the clothing items in the pockets. Either way, you can keep the food and cloth items separate. Also, there is a dirty waterproof pocket that zips, and another dirty duds bag that comes with the bag! Then, I use the main compartment for bibs, burp cloths, toys, hat and sweater, and extra socks. This compartment isn't near full ... you could easily still put an extra outfit and blanket in there, and more.

7. large pocket on the outside of the bag with a snap or zip closure for changing pad, diapers, wipes, and diaper creme. Velcro would be OK here too. This changing station compartment can have pockets inside of it -- one for wipes, another for the diapers, and a small one for diaper creme.

YES!!!! This bag has a changing station that velcros shut (like teeh PPB or Bumble) with an elastic for diapers, a pocket that fits creme (and has room to fit something else), and another small mesh pocket that I put a hair brush in, but also has room for other items. The wipes case fits inside the changing compartment "station" along with the changing pad.

8. Two pockets on the other outside part of the bag: each pocket big enough to put keys and cell phone and wallet in one pocket, pacifiers and other little items in other pocket.

YES!!!!!!!!! I culdn't believe it when I saw it!

9. Bag should be able to be worn messenger style or backpack style -- I love this feature! And the straps should always be adjustable.

This is the only missing feature ... there are tote straps and 11" detachable messenger straps which fit on the stroller nicely (as well as D rings), but no backpack feature. The strap isn't adjustable (but I don't see a need for it b/c it fits nicely on the stroller).

And there MORE...

This bag comes with matching accessories!
They include:
1. make up case in black and red, white stitching and red piping, and a cute miniature pair of lips decal adorning the outside. The word "make up" is written in white and there's a small mirror on the back of the bag.

2. insulated bottle holder that would fit a regular water bottle and keep it cool, also black with red piping, and a red metal miniature bottle decal adorns the top of it.

3. cell phone/wallet in black with white stitching with a red metal minature phone decal adorning the front.

Where was this bag hiding??? If I had found this bag when I first had my daughter, I probably wouldn't have gotten FIVE other bags -- even if four of them are beautiful (two Oilily bags, one Bumble Jessica in Olive Stripes that is on its way, and one PPB Lily Boxy Backpack I love). The fifth bag is a Graco Deluxe Diaper bag in Bentley Bear that happens to be awesome -- I can't say enough about that bag, except for its looks!

And guess what ... I put all the accessories in the bag stuffed with paper so they were "full" and everything fit in the bag with room to spare!

In the main compartment:

Two burp cloths, two bibs, sun hat,light sweater, socks, Sippy cup in its holder, bag of toys (including a rattle with links, a teether with links, and a fake cell phone), the make up holder stuffed with paper, cell phone/wallet holder, and the bottle holder stuffed with paper. In the two red pockets that are in the main compartment: in one of them, I have two cheerios containers and jar of fruit with spoon, and the other has her powder formula container. There was still room if you needed it!

In the front flap changing station:

2 size 4 diapers, one Balmex tube, big wipes case, hairbrush and plastic bag for garbage, changing pad it came with (this is very thin, I would replace with one I have from another bag to add cushioning).

In the side pockets:
In each, one Avent bottle filled with water.

In the two back pockets:
One has pacifiers, one is empty.