PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...Anyone else dislike vinyl in diaper bags?

linsei
06-08-2005, 09:54 PM
I think I am in the minority. There are so many bags that I would like except that are coated/covered with vinyl. I know for many of you, the vinyl has it's pros, such as the ability to wipe clean. I just can't get past the vinyl. Maybe if I could get myself to try it, I might actually love it. Anyone else feel the same? Just curious... and I needed to vent a little.

Linda

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040428/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

Canna
06-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Yes, I've always found it to be an unappealing look. It seems to scream "DIAPER BAG" to me. It does seem functional, though.

jerseygirl07067
06-08-2005, 10:09 PM
I don't like the vinyl either. I ordered a sling tote in aqua stripe and returned it. If not for the vinyl, I may have kept it. I think it makes the bags look too diaper baggy, IMHO!

Marcy

Melanie
06-09-2005, 12:20 AM
I don't care for it, either. However if I lived somewhere particularly rainy I would probably want one. I can see it having it's purpose.

audball
06-09-2005, 01:08 AM
yep...have to say, that although I'm not a vinyl bag lover, living in the Pacific NW, rain and my T&L backpack go quite well together! ;)

Ami
06-09-2005, 07:45 AM
I am with you also, I hate vinyl bags and living in a cold climate ensures that I don't use one. Vinyl cracks big time when exposed to -20 degrees.

Ami

ckleist
06-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Not a big fan of the vinyl either. I just got a sling tote in the gold flower, love the bag, but not the vinyl. I was thinking maybe it would grow on me, but I don't think it will. Then my sister came over, showed her the new sling tote and asked her what she thought, and she knew right away it was a diaperbag because of the vinyl, and she knows nothing about diaperbags. I was really disappointed because I didn't want it to be such an obvious diaperbag. I'm thinking maybe I'll exchange it for the black, but really don't want another black bag.

audball
06-09-2005, 09:22 AM
cheryl, did they give you an ETA on the green? The green ballistic with the brown may be a cool combo...

holliam
06-09-2005, 09:37 AM
I've been waiting for the green, and I emailed Fleurville. They told me retailers should be receiving them around June 15th.

I just refuse to put things for my baby in something wrapped in PVC vinyl. blech..

Holli

cartersmom
06-09-2005, 09:38 AM
I hate the vinyl too. They just look too much like a diaper bag for my own style.

On the other side, I'm not a huge fan of the silk brocades either. I have a PPB and I'm so afraid of getting it dirty that I barely use it!

ckleist
06-09-2005, 10:16 AM
The green just looks too green for me, if it were more of an olive color I would get that, but the green looks almost kermit the frog green on my screen.

suzhatch1
06-09-2005, 11:28 AM
I am in agreement (for most vinyl bags)....totally agree that most of them look too plasticy & they feel too sticky and cumbersome. I totally had ruled out the Fleurville Mothership after seeing it in person since I thought the vinyl was way too thick (sorry, I know some people love this bag).

But I did find an exception, the Timi & Leslie vinyl covered bags are really soft & pliable. It's actually the only vinyl covered bag that I *really* like. The Fleurville ST's vinyl is a bit softer than the Mothership, but still IMO, not as soft as the T&Ls.

Suz :)

amp
06-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Yep. It's the reason I don't want some of the bags out there that I might otherwise have considered.

mommato2boys
06-09-2005, 04:16 PM
I have just tried my first vinyl bag, 2redhens, so far it isn't bad, I am getting used to it. But the jury is still out. It feels soft to me though, and since I work in the construction business, I think being able to wipe it off when it gets dirty to and from the office to car might be a nice plus. I am not sure about the fringe on mine though....it keep shedding on me.......I ordered another style without fringe, so I will see if I like that one better.

linsei
06-09-2005, 09:44 PM
I really love the look of T&L, but have refrained from ordering due to the vinyl. Is is really not that bad? I may have to revisit that idea!

ETA: Is there much risk of the vinyl cracking since it is made from a softer material?

Linda

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040428/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

suzhatch1
06-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Maybe some others can chime in on their thoughts to see if others feel this way too, but IMO, I definately think the vinyl on the T&L is much softer & pliable than any of the Fleurville bags.

The vinyl on the Mothership was horribly stiff & since that was the 1st diaper bag I ever saw with vinyl coating, I immediately was turned off to all vinyl diaper bags. Well, I was skeptical to ever get another one, but the T&L brocade prints are soooo pretty, that I finally broke down & ordered one. Well, to my suprise I was soooo happy to receive it and feel a 180 degree difference in the vinyl covering. It is just enough to add support & structure to the bag so that it stands on it's own & you can open it and trust it will stay open while you search for what you need, but it isn't tacky nor does it make any of those wierd "suctioning" plasticy sounds when rubbing next to your clothes! (Not sure how to describe it...hope you know what I mean!) LOL!

Suz :)

jacquiro
06-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Oy...now I'm more confused again. I'm one of those pacific northwesterners who will likely do well w/ a vinyl bag, considering all the rain here. However, I was thinking of buying the gold flower ST w/o ever seeing it in person. I also love the Timi & Leslie bags, although I've never seen them in person. I thought that my decision was made until reading these posts and now I'm rethinking my choice (to buy the T&L instead). If the vinyl isn't as plastic-looking, I'd definitely be happier.

audball
06-10-2005, 12:10 AM
well, don't forget that a more significant proportion of the bag is vinyl-coated on the T&L vs. the sling tote. That may make a difference for you as well. I think if you are turned off by the vinyl, period, then no matter how pliable the bag, you have to consider that you may, in the end, not like it.

I still don't consider myself a lover of vinyl-coated bags, but I got mine for a steal from T&L and I haven't seen anything in the same magnitude of quality construction in any other bag - particularly vinyl-coated ones! The large bebe has fantastic reviews, and if it weren't for the fact that I already own a backpack, I would consider one; especially if I had the option of returning it to a store/on-line retailer...

ckleist
06-10-2005, 07:23 AM
I haven't seen a T&L, but the sling tote has great organization, more versatility w/ tote handles or optional messenger strap, and the gold flower is beautiful, but I just couldn't get past the vinyl for me and was concerned about cracking in cold weather (I'm in MI) and just exchanged the gold for the black. If you can wait until later in the year, Fleurville will be coming out with more colors in the ballistic nylon, they just haven't decided what yet (I sent them an email yesterday and that was the response). I also heard that they will be coming out with a new style backpack to replace the Alpha 7, which I thought the sling tote did, but I would love to see what the backpack will be like.

nd93
06-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Are you in the Seattle area? I know the Nordstrom at Alderwood Mall sells the pink and blue chocolate ST - maybe you should call one near you and see if they have a ST. Then you could check out the vinyl and see what you think of it. I have not beeen able to find T&Ls locally. I even emailed them once for a list of stores and there were none up here - I think the closest one was Vancouver, WA (or something like that. Can't quite remember. I just know it wasn't an option for me to go check them out somewhere).

I am the same way - I just can't quite push myself over the edge to buy a vinyl bag. I look at them a lot, but can't decide to buy. If I was to get vinyl, I think I'd prefer a coated fabric (like the chesters) or an oilcloth vs. the clear vinyl on top of the fabric. I like the T&L small bebe, but the vinyl and the cost keep me from buying!

jacquiro
06-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks you guys. Yes, I am in Seattle and have actually seen the ST in pink and blue at the downtown Nordstrom's. I liked the bag, but thought the solid colors looked pretty plasticy. I wasn't sure if the gold flower would seem a little less so. I don't hate vinyl...just prefer other washable fabrics. My mom actually gave me a beautiful PPB bag but I returned it b/c I know I'll make it filthy and worry about it all the time, but my new picks that I'm considering are the gold flower ST and the T&L large bebe in peridot (however, I too couldn't find them anywhere around here so I'm going strictly by reviews here and pictures on websites). Unfortunately, I don't have time to wait for more ballistic nylon bags to come out since I'm due with my 1st baby in 5 weeks! I think I might bite the bullet and buy the T&L online this weekend...at least I can exchange it if I don't like it in person.
By the way, if anyone has seen the T&L in peridot I'd love to hear what you think.

Thanks!

AbbieF
06-11-2005, 12:58 PM
I really dislike the vinyl bags. To me it reminds me of all the little old ladies in NYC who carry a vinyl tote with them wherever they go. Of course nothing against little old ladies- I just don't want to be one yet. It drives me crazy that you seem to have 2 choices in diaper bags: the hose'em down you can do anything to them vinyl bags or the completely impractical must dry clean bags.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/04

c2lane
06-15-2005, 01:14 PM
I have a T&L lg bebe which I LOVE but I'm thinking about getting a Whole Roost - where di you order yours from?

~Carrie
mom to Dillan Rose 01/02/04
& our 2nd blessing due 10/6/05

http://lilypie.com/days/051006/0/6/0/-8/.png[/img][/url][/center]

mommato2boys
06-16-2005, 10:43 AM
I bought it from Brown Eyed Baby Boutique.
hth!

missewood
07-01-2005, 08:46 PM
i ordered the mothership in orange-geo and i think that the vinyl is just a cover-up for the cheap, thin, flimsy poplin material that they used for the bag. i am not totally turned off by vinyl bags though, i think i will try the t&l bebe because they seem to offer more appealing fabrics under the vinyl. maybe if i would have tried the mothership in coduroy ( a more sturdy fabric ) i may not feel the way i do about their bags.