PDA

View Full Version : Please HELP! I'm still carrying my free Similac bag!

vikivoly
06-19-2005, 12:57 AM
I have an 8 month old who is FF and a newly potty trained 2.5 year old. I have a large all day/overnight bag, but am still using my free Similac bag because I'm not a diaper bag collector and can't find the perfect bag. :( The good thing is I now how I'm using my bag and what I'm putting in it.

I like the LLBean diaper bag and was all set to buy it when it went on backorder. After giving it some time, I decided against buying it because I REALLY want something more stylish and NOT black. The organization and size of the bag are just about perfect for what I'm looking for.

The other bag I considered was the Loom Marsupial. I decided against it because it seems too boxy and I know I'll be knocking into everything with it. I also don't like that it's not stuffable if I need it to be.

I'm currently hot on the Sling Tote, but there are a few things I don't like about it. First, no side pockets for bottles or sippies. I really like that feature and use it often. I'm afraid if I bought a bag without it, I would feel lost. Do you think I could get used to that? I currently carry one bottle and one sippy cup. The other drawback is the shiny vinyl. It's really NMS, but I love the prints of the ST, so I'm wondering if I could get past that also. I live in a cold weather climate, would it be bad for winters? The last possible drawback of the ST is the size. I'm not sure if it's too big. I really like the size of my Similac bag and am looking for something similar. What I do love about the ST is the style, organization and versatility. I like that it can be carryed as a tote or thrown over my shoulder.

What about the Loom Bandicoot? Does that sound like a winner for me?

Here is what I normally carry:

3 diapers
1 pull-up
wipes
extra outfit for baby
sometimes extra outfit for toddler
extra underwear (for toddler ;))
ziploc baggy w/bib, straws, spoons
baby bottle
can of formula
sippy cup
small toys
pacifier
toddler snacks
jar of baby food
changing pad

So, find me a stylish, well organized bag that can hold these things. I also like to throw my wallet, cell phone and keys in the bag. I have the e3 with pannier bags, so I normally don't carry a bag when using the stroller, but on the occasion that I do, I would like something that is comfy over the shoulder or would work with the e3 in toddler/toddler mode.

I know I'm asking a lot, but it's been 8 months!

emmiem
06-19-2005, 09:05 AM
I have a 19 month old and a 4 1/2 yo (plus a teen) and I love my Bumble Jessica messenger bag. I don't like a real heavy or huge bag but want to fit my stuff as well as the kids. You can see some fabric choices at www.bumblebags.com. I also like my Kate Spade Fred backpack but that is all black but very chic.
Michele

heidi_timms
06-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Vicki,

I really like my Sling Tote. It does have an insulated bottle holder inside and a ton of pockets. It's not that huge, really! I, at first, bought one for a gift and then went back and got myself one-LOL! I also love the attachable loop hooks to attach to a stroller with umbrella handles-it's sooo nice! You should see if you can check out one IRL at a baby boutique or at Nordstrom's (I think they carry them there).

I do also love the bumble bag. It can't be worn as a backpack (oddly shaped), but it has a nice amount of room and pockets. I use the backpack straps for the back of my chair at restaurants.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

n2ou
06-19-2005, 10:32 PM
I have a red e3v2 and bought and orange skip hop duo (knowing what I know now I would have probably bought denim 'cause orange can get pretty dirty - but wipes off).

I have the Bob console and the skip hop snaps right in between the two velcros.

http://www.skiphop.com/home.cgi

It has so many good pockets and a deal for drink and cell phone on the outside. I love it ...but I also lovemy Petunia Pickle Bottom (just not for my e3v2)

hth

Simone

vikivoly
06-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Bump

Thanks for the replies received so far. I'm still undecided and would like to hear some other opinions.

TIA

audball
06-21-2005, 12:00 AM
I tried to pack up a similar amount of stuff into a Bandicoot and found it to be too small.

I have heard from previous posters that vinyl may be a problem in cold weather (but we must be talking bone-chilling cold, because I would imagine typical cool weather isn't an issue). But it's also a question of aesthetics - some people just don't like the vinyl "shiny" look. I'm not a huge fan of vinyl - that being said, I have a Timi and Leslie backpack and I heard their Large Bebe (messenger style) is a wonderful bag in terms of organization and looks.

Would you consider the Bumble Bags, Jessica style (messenger/backpack convertible)? They have great fabric choices and there is a bottle pocket on one side and a cell phone pocket (snaps shut and is smaller) on the other. Nice large size to fit an extra change of clothes for your potty-training toddler.

The Skip Hop Dash may be another good choice for you because it has a ton of pockets...I just received a Denim Duo and love it! My old red canvas duo was a little plain looking to me (but still cute), but the denim adds a touch of pizazz!

I thought an Alpha 7 may be a good choice for you too, but those are a little hard to find these days.

MichelleRC
06-21-2005, 06:39 AM
You have gotten lots of good suggestions--I was going to second the recommendations for the T&L Large Bebe bag and the Skip Hop Dash. Both roomy but not too bulky and well organized.
Good Luck!