PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on a good diaper bag for cloth diapered twins?

Crisyn
06-20-2005, 02:23 PM
I am due in August, and am starting to finalize my choices for diaper bags, and would love some advice:

1. I am having twins, so should I plan for needing twice as much space? Or am I overestimating how much I will need - ie. no need for two changing pads, since I can only change one at a time anyway. What will I actually need in the bag?

2. Ideally, I would love a diaper bag that could double as my purse, so I don't have to carry two babies, a purse AND a huge diaper bag. Any advice on what has worked for you?

3. What about recommendations on specific bags? I like the Loom Marsupial, the Timi & Leslie Mommy Chic bag (pricey!) and the Petunia Picklebottoms.

Thanks.

mommato2boys
06-20-2005, 03:22 PM
I am thinking big is better...since you will need double clothes and double diapers. I would think you are going to need at least one large large bag for all day trips with the twins. I would start from there. You can always pack the bag less than a bag that will only hold so much, KWIM?
But maybe a mother of twins could let you know better than me. I really don't have a stylish suggestion, but the Landsend DIA bag might work in the beginning and doesn't cost to much. that way you can see what you need and what you don't.

sophiesmom
06-20-2005, 07:23 PM
My friend has twins and raves about her backpack diaperbag. It's a twins backpack at babybaks.com. The straps even unsnap so you can attach it to your stroller handles. They are about $80, but washable and have a lifetime warranty (if I remember correctly). They also come in several colors.

I've been using a backpack w/ my 2 kids (almost 4 and 2) and I love being able to have it on my back so I can deal with the kids!

Best of luck!

jwozy
06-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Congratulations on your twins and get your rest while you can :-)

I have twins who are 13 months now and have used a petunia picklebottoms bag since they were about 2 months, didn't get out of the house much with the little ones except for doctor's visit in the first 2 months. I am able to put a change of clothes for each child, a couple of receiving blankets, plastic bags for the dirty diapers, bibs, burp cloths, 6 diapers, a small box of wipes, a few toys, other odds and ends, and my wallet and cell phone and there is still room for a little more (I tend to overpack). I have a separate small bag (like a small soft cooler) that I use for their sippy cups (bottles when they were smaller) and snacks because I didn't wan't to spill anything in or on my bag and it hasn't been too much of a problem carrying a smaller bag in the car or the stroller.

I also have a mothership but never used it, and just got a skip hop expo for quick trips. I also have the backpack from LE and that's a really large backpack that has lots of space and I don't mind if that one gets a bit dirty. What I find helpful with the twins is to have an emergency bag of stuff (I have a tote bag that was given to use at the hopsital) that I always keep in the car and in it there is a changing pad, extra clothes, socks, wipes, diapers, and that way you don't have to overstuff your diaper bag.

I would get something simple for the beginning until you figure out what kind of packer you are and then go from there. There are a lot of really cool diaper bags out there and sometimes just having one is not enough :)

lmariana
06-23-2005, 02:28 PM
I think you'll definitely want one big, and then as you learn your needs along the way, you can downsize.

For a set of cloth diapered twins, I think you'd find the Loom Marsupial too small. I absolutely ADORE the Mommy Chic bag, and although it is pricey, it's gorgeous and you can tell why it costs so much. It's a generous size too, so it would probably work for you. Last I checked, someone is re-selling the chocolate leather one on Baby Bags, so you could save about $100 there!

I still haven't seen a PPB in person, so I can't comment on the size. However, I would probably prefer a bag is a wider opening at the top, maybe like the PPB Shoulder bag.

Other than that, I'd consider a Fleruville Mothership, Haiku Bag, or a Timbuk2 Medium Messenger or Cargo tote. Based on my experience, all these bags are very spacious and strong. The Haiku is my personal favorite, and I find it more spacious than the Fleurville. Timbuk2's are incredibly well made, but lack good organization.

Regardless, you'll want to buy a few wet bags with zippers for storing dirty CD's when out and about. Also take into consideration your stroller's basket size...some larger bags may not fit well in there and will either have to be hung from the stroller handle or carried.

If you have a wide side-by-side double stroller with either a single handlebar or 3 umbrella handles, you can use 2 Skip Hops bags. You can keep diapering stuff in one and other stuff in the second one. That way you already have a smaller bag or two for when you can downsize. :) I can fit 1-2 Large CD's in my Skip Hop Duo and about 4 Large CD's in the Skip Hop Expo.

Right now, I'm using a Dobre Goods Bambino Tote to hold 4 CD's and all my other stuff. It has a very open mouth so it's easy to stuff and access. Love this tote! www.dobregoods.com

Hope you get some good ideas!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreggoPals

writeleigh
06-23-2005, 02:44 PM
You may also consider a Chelsey Henry Weekender diaper bag (17x13x6). I just ordered this and it should arrive tomorrow, so I'll post pics of it and a review. I'll be using it as a travel bag.

Also:
One Step Ahead overnighter (17x12x8)
Caden Lane "Kane" bag (16 x 11 x 6)

I think the Beatrix Dante bags are supposed to be quite large, and they are stunning, but I've never seen one IRL. And they're on the expensive end.