PDA

View Full Version : I need a new bag - can you help me pick one, please?

samiam
06-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi ladies,

Can you steer me towards some bags that might be appropriate for me? I've been on this board forever obsessing over various bags, but so far have only used my Little Tripper. I'm not one to change bags often (not even handbags) so it's got to be one I can use in all seasons and get some serious use out of. I've been tempted by the ST but it's way out of my price range. Though I'd consider it if I truly thought it was best and I could get my money's worth out of it. My next bag need not be fashionable. I look like someone who came out of an LL Bean or Land's End catalog - simple solid color clothes, little if any jewelry - not exactly a fashion icon. So I don't care if the bag is plain. I don't really go for prints, so any print bag would need to have something simple enough for me (for example, you'd never see me carrying a purple swirl MS - just not me!)

Overall the LT has served my needs but I think if it were 1/3 bigger it would be perfect. I can fit my daily stuff for my 22 month old ds, and keep an extra bag in the car (diapers, back up outfit, etc.)so I don't need to lug tons of stuff. I prefer bags that go over my shoulder and/or messenger, but could be talked into a backpack if it were relatively lightweight. We're also in the adoption process right now, so I could have a new little one in a year or so. Would be nice if the bag could grow with us, but I have a feeling I'll need a new bag when another baby comes along.

Anyway, here's what I carry:

2 size 5 diapers
Wipes in a ziploc bag
Sippy cup
Small container of snacks
Sunscreen
Digital Camera
Toothbrush & toothpaste for ds
Small cosmetic bag of essentials for me (comb, lipstick, chapstick, nail file)
Wallet (compact one - not the checkbook kind)

This all fits in LT just fine but if I have to add an extra outfit, the bag is jam packed. And I don't like that it's tippy - tends to fall forward.

Would a Skip Hop be my best bet? If so, which one? I bought an imitation SH at Target just to try out the size and organization. I think the size is probably ideal (but I can see where people complain about the black hole effect) but the bag is too flimsy and doesn't stand on it's own so it's going back.

I would also love a bag that can stand on it's own - tippy ones make me crazy.

If you've read this far, bless your hearts. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Bearhut
06-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Wow, I was just about to post the EXACT SAME question. I, too have the LT and am considering a Skip Hop for my toddler and I. Thanks for asking the question. I can't wait to hear!

emmiem
06-24-2005, 11:07 AM
I love love my Bumble bags but they are prints. I also like my Kate Spade Messenger and Kate Spade Fred Backpack. Simple styling but not cheap. I also just ordered a Overland Equipment Donner bag for my DH to replace the LE LT. I hated the way the LT looked although my husband didn't care. This might be the bag for you if you like simple but great organization. I also liked for a little while my Kecci Shanghai but it was too big for me.
Michele
www.nordstrom.com
www.bumblebags.com
www.shoebuy.com

mommabear
06-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Have you checked out the Alpha 7 by fleurville. There are some knockoffs on ebay by dinatelli for cheap. I have it in blue and really like it. It can be worn messenger or backpack. It is not stiff but since it has a flat bottom I find it doesn't tip too much.

boys2enough
06-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Hi, just thought I should point out that Skip Hop Duo does not stand on it own (one of the reasons why I returned mine when I first got it, so you are not the only one disliking tippy bags, lol). Not sure whether the Dash will stand on its own though, hope it does because I am hoping to get one soon. (Based on the pictures on Skip Hop website, the Dash does stand on its own. But I would confirm that with someone who has seen the bag irl, kwim?)

In addition, I saw your musing about bags growing with the family, :) it is so true. Skip Hop Expo does expand to have more room. On their web site, the pictures do show the Expo bag as standing on its own...

Hth.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

smbirth
06-25-2005, 06:24 PM
I too have been looking for something slightly bigger than the LE LT, and I am thinking about this one:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47839919&parent_category_rn=40003645&vcat=REI_SEARCH

It is by Overland Equipment, but this style is exclusive to REI. I also like the looks of the Donner (kinda like a LT) and the Placer, (a small bag for me for quick mommy only trips to the store, etc.)

However, I have compared the dimensions of these bags to the LE LT or skip hops, etc.

I also just made a post asking if anyone has heard of or owns one of these!

randomkid
06-25-2005, 09:30 PM
You might want to check out LLBean's Travel Touring Bags. It is exactly the same bag that they use for their diaper bag (which is no longer available apparently), but doesn't come with a changing pad. That is truly the only difference. They come in two sizes although the dimensions on the website are for the regular size. Even when you click on the large bag, it gives the dimensions for the regular bag. You can call LLBean to get the dimensions of the large bag, but I think it is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches larger in width and height. The great thing is that they are nice bags that appear to be durable and are only $22 and $29.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=1&categoryId=35996&parentCategory=4520&cat4=2913&productId=540229&display_id=47148&feat=sr&catalog_id=TA&from=&rtnComp=

mommato2boys
06-26-2005, 02:21 PM
The skip hop Expo does stand on its own....just to confirm. I got it last week and so far I am loving it.

smbirth
06-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Priscilla was great enough to take pics of her new Overland Placer, Donner and Soho and post them in my Overland post above. The City bag I mentioned above turns out to be too big, but the Soho might be an option for you. I like the blue color!