PDA

View Full Version : Kathy Van Zeeland Tote Review -- GREAT bag!!!!!!!!!

DAKnits
06-26-2005, 08:01 PM
I was looking for a waterproof, functional, durable bag as a alternative to my PPB Lily Boxy Backpack that I can't/won't take to the pool, beach, or give to my DH or Mom when they are watching the baby (LOL)! I also ordered a Bumble Bag in Olive Stripes which is on its way, so I was determined not to spend more than $50 or $60 on a "waterproof" bag that I don't care about if it gets wet, spilled on etc... b/c I have been buying bags like crazy! I already have two Oilily bags which fit everything but the kitchen sink (and if I tried, they probably could!).

So, I thought I would just get a red Dash to match with my new P3 Safari stroller (red, tan, black). Well, while shopping at BRU today I found this bag, and THIS IS IT!

It's by Kathy Van Zeeland ... it's the Black and Red messenger tote bag. The pics on the BRU web site are horrible, unfortunately! It's made of black microfiber, with white stitching detail, and mostly red interior (all of the interior pockets are red). An adorable red little metal purse decal adorns the front of the bag. It's messenger style with a longer messenger strap with D rings, and then regular shorter tote straps if you want to just grab it and go. It has a large mouth opening and zips shut. No annoying flap to deal with. Really easy access!

There is a changing station pocket in the front (similar to the Bumble or PPB) that velcros shut -- inside of it there is a changing pad that snaps in but can be removed, an elastic for diapers (or whatever), and then two pockets, one of which I put diaper creme in. The other I put her hair brush and small garbage bags. My wipes case fits in the elastic, but I put diapers in the elastic, and just placed the wipes case inside the changing "station." The changing pad is a REALLY thin microfiber pad with a beautiful black and white flower design, but it's too thin for my taste (although would protect my DD from whatever surface I put her on -- there's just no cushioning), so I think I will put another changing pad in there instead.

The main compartment has a sippy cup/bottle pocket inside, and then there are two BIG red elastic pockets which could easily hold an additional two bottles, plus small containers of food. I put her powder formula conatiner in one pocket (I hate digging for it), and her cheerios container and a fruit cup in the other -- and there's still more room in each pocket! In the main compartment I put bibs, burp cloths, her sweater and hat, and toys, with a TON of room to spare! There is also a thin, flat pocket with zipper for wet items, and another clear pouch that comes with the bag for wet/dirty duds.

There are also two large pockets, one on each side of the outside of
the bag that fits Avent sized bottles.

On the back of the bag there are two pockets -- you can use these for your personal items or small baby items. They velcro shut. I put pacifiers in one pocket, the other is empty right now. My cell phone and wallet would fit in the other pocket easily.

This bag also comes with a matching make up bag (it's adorable!), matching insulated bottle holder (you can put your water bottle in it and keep it cool), cute key chain, and a matching wallet/cell phone
holder!!! Just to see how it would fit, I put all of the accessories in the bag, stuffed then with tissue paper as if they were full, and there's STILL room in the bag! And the bag does not look huge! Also, the bag is not heavy b/c the microfiber is very lightweight.

There are metal feet on the bottom of the bag, too!

It cost me $50 at the store.
Here are my "rough" measurements of the bag -- the description on BRU does not have them ... 15"W, 12"H 6"D

HTH someone!

mommato2boys
06-26-2005, 08:47 PM
I have one of her purses....and they are super cute and super fun!!! I didn't know she made diaper bags too......OH,NO....now I have to go look!!! LOL!!!!

DAKnits
06-26-2005, 10:45 PM
I wish the picture on the website was better and clearer b/c it looks nothing like the real thing -- in "real" life, there is a super cute little red metal minature purse decal on the front of the bag, and the accessories are black with red accents and the white stitching ... and the make up bag says "make up" in white and there's a miniature pair of red lips decal on it, a mini red phone decal on the cell phone holder, and a mini red bottle on the cooler. It's a bag I would wear out that doesn't reveal it's a diaper bag, which is also a plus.

Edited to add: I just found the official website, and it says the bag is 16"L 12"H and 7"D. They need a better website, BTW ... yikes, those pictures are all hard to see!

loewymartin
06-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Can you take some pics of your bag? It would be nice to see some "real" pics instead of the bad ones they have up online.

TIA if you can!

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and the GIRL! peanut due 8/13/05

NYSarah
06-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Wow, I had no idea these bags were still available anywhere! I bought the KVZ messenger bag last year and it ended up winning the "diaper bag contest" around here. The flap gets a little annoying so I may have to look for the tote! Too bad it's out of stock -- I'll have to look for it next time I'm in BRU!

DAKnits
06-29-2005, 07:35 AM
I will try and take pics this weekend and post ... I really love using it, it's so incredibly organized and perfect for any outing!