PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite handbag to use as a diaper bag?

DAKnits
06-29-2005, 11:43 PM
My Birthday is coming up, and since I can no longer ask for *another* diaper bag with a straight face, I was thinking I Could ask for a regular handbag as a gift ... and use it as a diaper bag, LOL!

What's your favorite? What are the pros and cons of the bag, and what does it cost?

THANKS!

Emmas Mom
06-30-2005, 02:23 PM
I can't really help you since I'm still in the diaper bag phase but I keep eyeing these seat belt bags thinking I'm going to get one whenever we're done with diaper bags. They actually have a diaper bag now but it looks too big & bulky & heavy to me. But the Jr. Messenger or Medium tote are *really* appealing to me. They're a bit pricey but hey, you only have one birthday a year. ;) Not much help but there's an idea for you.

http://seatbeltbags.com/default.aspx?CatalogID=13

meshell
06-30-2005, 04:44 PM
These seatbelt bags are my FAVE bags! I've got the backpack, mini messenger, clutch, and zip tote. I can tell you that the backpack and totes (except for the small) fit a TON and can definitely be used as a diaper bag! And the mini messenger is great for me for a quick trip bag for a couple of dipes and pack of wipes. DS is only 12 weeks old, so I can get away with carrying just that on a quick trip, but I don't think it's wide enough to carry snacks or toys or books for a toddler.

HTH!

audball
06-30-2005, 05:45 PM
There were lots of post written about the Un Apres Midi de Chien bags - particularly the Fourmi W. There were some great pics posted here too. I think the smaller one (Fourmi WS) may work great as both a purse and part-time diaper bag. www. bagshop.com was having a sale on the previous season's models. Three large compartments and a super-cute pink interior to see everything. Not a lot of small pockets for storing items and of course, no sippy cups!

www.chelseyhenry .com is also having a sale on their Spring bags...that may work too. Depending on the style, you may have some organizational pockets, but the purses seem quite small.

Personally, I love my Holly Aiken tote. I got the smaller one (almost 10"x10" square) and it has one small pocket for your wallet and keys on the inside. I don't care though, because I love the style and it's roomy enough to fit sippys, dipes, etc. Plus, it's vinyl - so you don't have to worry about spills or putting it on the floor.

If you are more of a practical gal, Ellington Leather (www.ellingtonleather. com) makes the small In-Flight Tote which has pockets galore! I love this thing because it reminds me of the 70's tacky "Everything Bag" that I secretly coveted, belonging to my mom :)...

lisak
07-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Wow! I've never heard of Seatbeltbags before.
Thanks for sharing. I liked the neapolitan one, but fortunately (for my credit card), it was sold out, lol!!!

callalillyanne
07-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi, I really like the new Remix collection of the LeSportsac bags. I don't own one (yet! LOL) but I got a chance to check them out at Nordstrom and they are sooo cute! They don't have a lot of organization, I think just a zipper pocket or two on the inside, but the large tote is VERY roomy and I just love the oversized look of a big, funky tote like that. I guess it's kind of a retro twist ;) I think I remember that the large tote retailed for about $168, so not so cheap, but really cool bags!

http://www.lesportsac.com/external/remix/remix_totebags.html

I was thinking of getting one and organizing it with lots of cosmetic bags and a separate insulated bottle cooler....just a thought ;)

HTH!

DAKnits
07-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all these great ideas! I am checking out everything ... I want to have a little list of choices :-)!!!!

tiffany98va
07-02-2005, 12:25 PM
I have the Seatbelt Diaper bag and it's actually not as bulky as I thought it'd be. Granted, I haven't had my daughter yet (she's due in August), so I'm not sure how it will look once it's stuffed full of baby stuff, but the bag has tons of pockets and it looks really durable and stylish.

I also have a medium Seatbelt tote that I love but I don't think it'd be big enough for a diaper bag, even if you wanted to pare down. I'd go for the Jr. Messenger or the large tote at least.

I LOVE the Seatbelt bags. They're so stylish and I always get tons of compliments/comments when I use mine.

I also have the matching wallet - it's nice and big so it won't get lost in the depths of the diaper bag.

By the way, you can find the Seatbelt bags on eBay for much cheaper than retail. I got my medium tote for $75 (retail $95) and I saw wallets for sale for $40 (retail $75).

:)

Tiffany

callalillyanne
07-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Hi Tiffany, would you mind posting a pic of the seatbelt diaper bag, if possible? I would love to see an IRL pic of one of these!

TIA!

swampnurse
07-03-2005, 10:06 PM
LOVE my Timbuk2 Metro bag. Perfect for running errands when all i need is my small amount of stuff, Max's water cup and a container of snacks.

tiapam
07-08-2005, 11:28 PM
I have been eyeing the LeSportsac Deluxe Everyday Bag:

7507 Deluxe Everyday Bag
9.75 x 14 x 5 in, 24.77 x 35.56 x 12.7 cm

Adjustable shoulder strap
Back pocket with zipped closure
Zip out expandable front compartment
Two front pockets with zipped closures
Two main compartments with zipped closures

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

smiliedds
07-09-2005, 01:46 AM
That's what I've been using as a daily babybag. I just love the fact that it's super light. But it's definitly not for a heavy packer.

Rebecca

emmiem
07-09-2005, 09:08 AM
I have a Prada Backpack which I bought off Ebay which I love for a diaper bag for trips. No cup holders or such but it holds everything else.
Michele

murpheyblue
07-09-2005, 03:01 PM
I have a Un Apres Midi de Chien Fourmi that I use as a handbag and occasionally as a diaper bag. It has three compartments - one large and two thinner ones but no internal pockets. I holds a few diapers and wipes, sippy cup and snacks for a short trip. They're about $150 but they're selling the Fall 2004 collection for 30% off.

writeleigh
07-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Currently, my Un Apres Midi de Chien Fourmi bag. I love it - it's the perfect toddler tote for me. I alternate it with my Sling Tote when I don't need to carry as much.