PDA

View Full Version : Which messenger/backpack?

heatheann23
07-02-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm a longtime lurker who has been reading all of your fantastic knowledge! I finally have a question to post. I know I want a messenger/backpack bag - but am torn on which one: Bumble Bags, JP Lizzy, or Alpha 7. The A7 has the additional challange of locating it, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it! As far as my needs, I have 2 kids, one in diapers. I'm not someone that needs to take everything with me, but I usually like space for:
2-3 diapers
wipes
1 bottle
1 formula container (round one)
Extra clothes for infant
bib
burp cloth
tylenol
toys
snacks

I'm getting by with the free similac bag right now while I choose which one to buy, I find it a little too small, and not easy to organize. There isn't anywhere near me where I can check out any of these in person. Help me ladies in your infinite diaper bag wisdom!

mommabear
07-02-2005, 11:15 PM
I personally don't care for the bumble bags. They don't seem as good as the A7 as far as quality. I have the A7 and really like it. I have yet to find a diaper bag I love. I find the A7 a little small but I pack alot.

audball
07-03-2005, 01:40 AM
I'm thinking that for what you are wanting to pack, you shouldn't be too challenged by the size of the bag. I think a lot of it is personal preference. I can only give my opinion, but maybe some other ladies here have better advice!

Bumble Bags: nice large size (if you are thinking of the Jessica style). The fabrics are really nice, but since they are not protected/coated in any way, they still are vulnerable to spills. That being said, they can be cleaned in the washing machine under the gentle cycle and then air-dryed. Great organization, magentic snaps (instead of velcro - so no obnoxious ripping noise!), convenient bottle pocket and cell phone pocket on the outside.

A7: probably a slightly better size for you, since you don't need so much room (I have found that the more room you have, if you carry fewer items, the more jumbled those items are!). A few of the colors have darker colored interiors, but the organization here is really nice too - internal insulated bottle pocket, 3 organizational pockets (one long one in the back interior and one for wallet one for wipes case). I love the three front pockets for cellphone, hand sanitizer and tissues! The exterior/side bottle pockets are pretty slender - no problem for most standard size bottles, but it was a super-tight fit for my Avent bottles. The velcro is loud and the backpack straps aren't as comfortable as the Bumble ones, but it's not an overwhelming size for a small-framed person.

JP Lizzy: I have never seen the convertible bags up close, but they seem nice and big. I'm not sure about their internal organization. Also, the backpack straps looked a little awkward to me, but it could be that I was seeing an earlier version of the bag.

Other convertible bags are the Kecci Shanghai Mommy bag and the Posh Baby bags. I would also suggest you look into the Chester backpacks, if you aren't set on a messenger style. Super comfortable and smallish, so it would be a nice size for toting around. The interior organization isn't that great (two non-insulated bottle pockets, one zippered pocket) but there is a nice front zip pocket that is huge! I actually hold our diapering things in there (I have two in dipes). You can see them on-line at www. chesterhandbags.com. There are some on the sale page still and I think they are honoring the code 0305 for 10% off (maybe it's 20%?!). New styles will be coming at the end of the month :)

zapmansmom
07-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I happen to like the Kecci bag allot. You should give it a look and it is machine washable which is very nice. The A7 is great but, is no longer being made so it is hard to find they are making a new version called the A8 (I think that is the new name) but it is not due out till next spring.

I main reason I like the Kecci is that it has a zipper close and then the flap so nothing falls out!! This is very nice when you drop the bag or the stroller falls.

Claudine~

Mom to a Super Hero
named Zapman
aka(Zachary) 9.5 months

lpl47
07-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I've been looking for the same bag, and am torn as well...
Any thoughts about the Poshbaby bags?
Or I also just found this site:
http://www.poshandpetite.com/Bags.html
but I don't know anything about it.

I was leaning towards a Kecci bag because people here love them and the price is reasonable and the fact that it's machine-washable, but I'm not all that fond of any of the patterns available right now. Plus I already have a One Cool Chick mini messenger that's also an asian fabric and I thought I should get something different this time.

Thanks for any help.

moismom
07-13-2005, 11:49 AM
So glad you asked as I'm trying to decide the same thing. I'm likely going with the Kecci since I just found a barely used one for very cheap and figure if I like it great, if I don't I will sell it or give it to someone. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that it appears to be pretty floppy and I wish it were were boxier like a ppb; but I can't afford that much.
--Kinsey