PDA

View Full Version : HELP - overseas flight, diaper bag...

audys
07-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi, I am traveling overseas to Asia with my 17 month old son next month and would like ANY advise for the 12+ hour flight - anything really helpful that I need to make sure to take? Any advise on how to keep a "busy" toddler still for the long flight?

Help me with your experienced advise on a good diaper bag too - one that is large with organization. I like backpacks but am open to any types that work well. I have a LE backpack that I've used for domestic flights - is there one with better organization? Baby Sherpa? Mothership? Any others?

TIA!! I really appreciate your help,

Audrey, mother to Graham

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040210/0/5/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

tmrbwilson1998
07-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi, Audrey! I posted a similar question (coming from Europe to visit the States) last week. A couple of the suggestions I rec'd included the Baby Sherpa and the Posh Baby bag (you can check the yahoo board for any on sale...one Mom was selling her chocolate stripe Posh baby bag). I have made the 11-12 hour Trans-Atlantic flight three other times, though this year will be with my almost-3 yo and a new baby, too.

When I traveled with DS, he was 3 months, a year, and then almost 2. On the last trip, DH and I had a large carry-on with tons of toys, coloring books (I highly recommend the Crayola Color Wonder markers that only mark on the special paper - not so cheap, but we just use them for travel or in others' homes), etc. Here are some things we packed for him when he 22 months:

-Color Wonder markers, paper, and coloring book
-One of those small DVD players and DVDs (we had one only one battery, but it lasted 4 hours!)
-some books
-we were lucky to have our laptop with us and a Blue's Clues CD-ROM game
-some little cars in a zip-lock
-Baby Tad (the stuffed LeapFrog character that sings, plays little games, etc.)
-we had some of those larger pop-beads in a zip-lock bag for him

In addition to the larger carry-on, we had a larger diaper bag (the LE DIA (old style) when he was 1 and just a big bookbag when he was 2) where we had tons of diapers, extra clothes (which we used due to DS vomiting ALL OVER ME on our turbulent landing, which is very out of character for him), snacks, wipes, food, extra sippy cup, and a lot of water; pretty much all the replenishments for the smaller bag. In the smaller bag (I believe the LE LT when DS was one, and maybe again when he was 2)we had a bottle of water in one outside pocket and a sippy in the other. Inside we had a few diapers, small wipes case, a few little snacks for DS and for us, a bottle of water for us, a bib, some tissues, and a couple of quick-grab toys...you get the idea!

One thing I have started doing recently is getting the kids' meal when I hit BK, though I am not big on fries. Burger King is good about having the Little Tikes toddler toys...so when I find myself grabbing a quick bite to eat while out, I get this meal with the toddler toy and save the toy...having new toys to introduce on the plane was nice with DS...especially considering he is VERY ACTIVE!

I hope some of those suggestions will be helpful to you...also, are you getting DS his own seat? We broke down when DS was 2 and did this, and boy! was it wonderful! Are you traveling alone with your little guy? If you happen to sling him (which I never really knew about with DS), you may want to bring the sling to carry him and the stroller to tote the carseat and a bag or two in.

HTH, and sorry so long!
Tina

javierandastrid
07-13-2005, 03:13 PM
I went to Asia with my DS who was 14 months then. I had the Posh baby bag, and it worked out really well. It has six pockets inside, and four more outside. It's so roomy, and light..and it's so easy to clean. This is all i had as a carry-on. You can use it as a backpack, but i like it messenger style.

Make sure you bring your son's favorite snacks, some stickers, magna doodle, and books. If you are concerned about the weight/bulk of your carry-on, there are tons of stuff in the plane that my DS loved. (like cups, empty water bottle, straw, etc.) Also,the flight attendant gave him a bunch of inflight amenities (stuffed animal, crayons, teethers) which kept him occupied for awhile. I brought an old magazine, and we "read" them, he ripped some of the pages but i didn't care. We just left it on the plane. But it was definitely one of the activities he enjoyed. :)

Have a nice trip!

audys
07-13-2005, 08:47 PM
THANKS for all of the fabulous ideas!! I'll look into the Posh baby bags - they sound pretty too. I'm flying with my DH and we bought DS a seat of his own - he's a little guy and just reached 20 pounds and can now face forward :) I'll definitely get some goodies at BK, Color Wonders, stickers and your other recommendations!

Do they have whole milk on the plane?

Thanks again, Audrey, mother to Graham

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040210/0/5/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

tmrbwilson1998
07-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Hi again, Audrey! Here is the list of inflight beverage options to give you an idea for a couple of airlines (US Air's site does not mention milk, though Delta's site does):

http://www.usairways.com/travel/inflight/beverage/index.htm

http://www.delta.com/travel/before/inflight_dining/index.jsp

I don't know what airline you are flying, but I hope they have what you need! If not, I do not know if you can get the long shelf-life milk, but before our trip I introduced these little sippy boxes of room temp. milk to my DS who has a pretty sensitive stomach and who is pretty picky and after great results, packed those with us.

HTH! :)
Tina

Gayletmomto4
07-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi Audrey,

I second the suggestion for a change of clothes for you. My ds also got airsick at about 20 mos (the only time he has ever done that) and I spent 20 minutes standing in the airport ladies room in my bra rinsing and drying my shirt!

Also, regarding milk and snacks, I had one bad experience where we couldn't get any food for my kids (flight delay)and one where they were out of milk-both domestic flights. Ever since I take a small collapsible cooler with a shoulder strap (mine holds about 6 cans). I put a couple of sippy cups of milk, some cheese and yogurt or frozen gogurt in it. Sometimes, I partially freeze the milk beforehand. Just having their familiar favorites from home eases the trip for my kids. One tip about the cooler: the strap on mine digs into my shoulder after a while so I got a seat belt strap pad with velcro(at Walmart or Target) that makes is more comfortable.

Have a great trip!