PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing between Lands End/LL Bean diaper bags

berebunch
07-19-2005, 11:19 AM
I think I have my choices in diaper bags narrowed down to 3: The Lands' End DIA, the Lands' End Large Tailored Tote, and the LL Bean Microfiber Tote bag (closest thing I can find to a diaper bag!). I'm looking for a bag to carry everything for my twin infants and for my toddler (who is still in diapers).

BUT I have several questions:

the DIA:

1. Where do the bottles go? I would use all inside pockets in the big compartments for diapers/wipes/etc. How many bottles can this bag hold?

2. How big is the parent pocket?

3. Are there any additional pockets on the outside?

The Large Tailored Tote:

1. I can see from the website that there is one big pocket that organizes "stuff". It looks like there MAY be two zippered tote style pouches on either side of the large compartment... Is this a correct assumption??

The LL Bean Microfiber Tote bag:

1. Is anyone using this as a diaper bag? It looks like (from the description) there may be several inside organization pockets?

2. Are the inside pockets big enough to hold diapers, wipes, etc.?

3. We have an outlet near us - Can these be bought there?

Thanks in advance - I'm driving my DH crazy with my need to get a new bag :)

Amy

mrsmac
07-19-2005, 02:53 PM
This doesn't answer your question at all :) but I wanted to mention that I have the LL Bean Diaper bag and I LOVE IT! I was able to stop carrying a purse seperately b/c of this bag. It has great organization and room enough to hold everything I needed for two kids. And for only $40!
Just food for thought :)
~Tanya
P.S. Well now that I wrote this I can't find it on the LL Bean website anymore. Anyone know if it's been discontinued? Ok, now my post is really of no help to you! LOL!
Good luck with your shopping!

berebunch
07-19-2005, 02:56 PM
I have heard only good things about the LL Bean diaper bag. But, like you, I can't find it on their website. That's why I was looking at the Microfiber Tote. I wonder if they have any in their outlet store?

Amy

MommytoLayla
07-19-2005, 03:07 PM
I have the LL Bean diaper bag as well and its nice but a bit bulky for me. I prefer the SH Dash. As far as Beans not carrying it, last time I talked to them they said they were way backordered because of the popularity.

Now answering the other questions, I have had all of these bags. :)

the DIA:

1. Where do the bottles go? I would use all inside pockets in the big compartments for diapers/wipes/etc. How many bottles can this bag hold?

There are two bottle pockets on the outside. They were able to hold my Dr. Browns wide mouth bottle fine. They are in between the main compartment and the front parent pouch.

2. How big is the parent pocket?

The parent pocket on the front has, from what I remember, a couple elastic pockets and akey fob thing.

3. Are there any additional pockets on the outside?

There is one addtional pocket on the back where the changing pad goes.

The Large Tailored Tote:

1. I can see from the website that there is one big pocket that organizes "stuff". It looks like there MAY be two zippered tote style pouches on either side of the large compartment... Is this a correct assumption??

All of the three compartments zip closed and all of the compartments have some sort of organization in them. The center compartment is the largest and can fit quit a bit but when you have stuff in all of the spaces it can be large to carry on your shoulder.
Nice looking bag though.

The LL Bean Microfiber Tote bag:

1. Is anyone using this as a diaper bag? It looks like (from the description) there may be several inside organization pockets?

I have one of these that I was using for work. I posted pictures a few days ago for another poster. It is a large bag with a ton of organization. Pockets everywhere. The inside is one large compartment, but there are three elastic pockets on one side and the other side has a large zippered pocket. The outside has many pockets as well. I think that this bag would hold a ton. I felt like if carried nicely too, when I had it packed with work things.

2. Are the inside pockets big enough to hold diapers, wipes, etc.?

I just tried sticking a couple of my dd size 4 diapers in one of the elastic pockets and it fit fine with room to spare.

3. We have an outlet near us - Can these be bought there?

I live in Maine and bought this one at the Factory Store here. I think it all depends on the store though, I dont' think it is something that is always there guaranteed.

I think I answered all the questions, If you want to see the pictures I have of it, e-mail me and I can send them to you. Easier that way.

Shannon
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040421/3/0/1/-5/.png[/url]

ckleist
07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
LL Bean apparently changed marketing strategy on the diaper bag, but if you look up the travel touring bag, it comes in 2 sizes, and the large is what used to be the diaperbag, and I think it is only $29.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=35996&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4520&cat4=2913&shop_method=pp&feat=dp50

I just ordered the microfiber tote from LL Bean and should be getting it in the next day or 2 and can let you know what I think. I had the I've had both the LE DIA, a very big bag, and returned it for the LE Large Tailored Tote because I wanted something a little nicer looking. I never used the DIA, but I did use the tote a few times and found it was actually too small for me and I also didn't like the straps, they weren't long enough for the bag to hang comfortably from my shoulders. I also didn't like the way the bag was organized: it has 3 zippered sections, with the middle section being the widest. I felt like if the bag just had one big section, I could have fit a lot more into the diaperbag and I couldn't remember in what section I put things. I've got 2 in diapers, a 9 month and a 28 month old but I need to pack a lot for the youngest because he acid reflux and spits up a lot and has other gi issues, so I'm either changing clothes due to spit up or leaky diapers.

When I get the bag, I'll let you know what I think.

I just got an e-mail from them for free shipping, here's the link and maybe it will work.

http://www.llbean.com/epromo/f05_fallfulltwo/fsfallfulltwo_nav.html?urlid=fs&qs=5302919&#details

ckleist
07-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Here's a link to my question I asked and someone posted pics. They thought it would be too big for a diaperbag unless you needed a lot of room. So it might work for you.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=24228&mesg_id=24228&listing_type=search

berebunch
07-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks for all the help, everyone! I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide. It's hard to choose without actually being able to SEE the bags. The pictures and links were very helpful!

Amy

mommato2boys
07-20-2005, 01:39 PM
WOW!! Three in diapers, there should definately be an award for that!!! I would go for a big bag!!!! Landsend DIA is nice and big. There is also a backpack for twins, I know it has been posted about before, maybe someone knows which one I am talking about??!!

ckleist
07-21-2005, 08:18 AM
I just got the microfiber tote last night and so far seems like the bag I'm looking for. I packed it up quick and took some pics that I'll post when I have more time. Also, for some reason I can't upload pics to the site anymore...anybody have any ideas on what I need to do?

berebunch
07-21-2005, 09:05 AM
OOOOOhhhhh I can't wait to see your pics... I tried again last night to make my Eddie Bauer tote bag work. I took a seam ripper to the two small mesh pockets in one side of the tote. I turned 2 mesh pockets (vertically arranged) into 1, but it's still not what I'm looking for. I'm going to hit the LL Bean outlet on Saturday... I hope they have it. Thanks for sharing!

Amy

ckleist
07-21-2005, 02:25 PM
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/c_kleist/my_photos

berebunch
07-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Wow! That looks like just what I'm looking for... and I love that color of green. Just one more question - it looks like there might be a large mesh pocket opposite the mesh pockets that you have diapers in - am I right about that? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

I totally love that tote bag - thanks so much for sharing your pictures!!!

Amy

ckleist
07-21-2005, 03:07 PM
it isn't mesh, it is a full size zippered pocket. I wanted to post a better description along with the pics, but my 9 month old was screaming, and I think he's crying now again. In the front of the bag, there is the one zippered pocket, and I don't know if you can tell by the pics, but there is a vertical zip pocket on each side of that pocket that you could put small stuff in. I wish the 3 elastic pockets inside the bag were a little wider, it is a really tight fit to get the size 5 diapers in there. It would be much better if there were just 2 elastic pockets, but the 3 are still workable.

The green is a really nice color. I wasn't sure from the internet pic and waited until I got the catalog to make my final decision. The picture on their website for the green at least on my computer is not the same color as the bag, the website makes it look like a much lighter almost pastel color than it is IRL. I think the pictures I took match the color are a better representation of the color IRL.

ckleist
07-22-2005, 07:06 AM
I looked at the bag more closely last night, and all the interior pockets of the bag are a very fine mesh along with the one outside bottle pocket that is black. I had to put my hand inside the pocket to see if you could "see" thru, but it is a very fine mesh, not like the mesh on the lands end bags.