PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for diaper bag for 2 under 2

jbrownd
07-19-2005, 08:40 PM
I've used this message board a lot in the past for research on products, but never posted before. I'm desperate and dizzy from all the research I've done on diaper bags and need some help. I currently have a DD who's 18 mos., and DD#2 due in a couple of months. What is the best bag for me?
So far I like the Bumble Bag Jessica style, the Skip Hop Dash or Expo, Timi and Leslie backpack, and the Chester bags (classic or backpack). The Posh Baby seems definitely big enough, but it is so expensive, and I'm not crazy about the pattern choices.
For my toddler, I usually only carry 2-3 diapers, wipes, hand sanitizer, sippy cup, snacks and a couple of toys. For the baby, I'll carry all the newborn necessities + BF essentials. For me, I usually carry a wallet, cell phone, lip gloss and a small calendar.
I want something with good organization, easy to carry with 2 in tow, and sturdy.
Sorry so long, but desperate for help!
JB

Judie
07-20-2005, 10:53 AM
hi, i don't have any suggestions but am looking for the same thing. mine are 2 years apart. i hope someone helps us :-)

judie

audball
07-20-2005, 11:26 AM
I'll try to quickly go through what you suggested and then offer my own suggestions. Of the group you talked about, I think the Skip Hop Dash, the Posh Baby bag, or the T&L backpack would probably be able to suit you. My kids are 19 months apart and I have used the Posh Baby and the T&L backpack. My gripe about the Posh Baby is that it is sometimes floppy, but it is fairly well organized if you can deal with the black interior. Anne posted a deal at bellablumaternity.com I think for $140 for the bag...you can check the older posts. Otherwise, you can check on the babybags yahoo board for some deals. The T&L is a duffel backpack, so items tend to sink to the bottom - which may be ok if you don't need those items all the time (like extra clothes, toys, etc.).

I think the Dash would work out great, but I don't have personal experience with it. The Bumble Bag (Jessica Style) would be good, but because it's a little narrower, if you have a lot of newborn items (heavier packer), you may be better off keeping those "extras" in the car. Otherwise, I think that's a great choice too...and someone posted here that you can get them at wildchildpdx.com, euphoriamaternity.com, and one other place for less than $115...

I actually made due with my medium sized Timbuk2 messenger and just packed things in smaller bags within the bag. I needed that open access and space for those few months!

ETA: I think any bag that has a dimension larger than 12"x15" would be suitable to consider (Petunia Picklebottom, for example). Or alternatively (which would probably save your back!), lighten your load by putting most of the items in the car and just using a medium-sized bag...

Judie
07-20-2005, 11:38 AM
hmm, just checked out the posh bags- they look cute! ugh, i can't make up my mind. i also have a gift certificate for lands end and am considering one of their bags, but i'm not sure.

judie

jbrownd
07-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm going to Nordstrom this afternoon to see the Skip Hop IRL (just found out they have them). If I can find a good deal or free shipping on the Bumble Bag, I'll go ahead and order it to see it IRL.....I guess I can return it if it's not suitable. If anyone has any experience with the Bumble Bag and 2 in diapers, let me know and possibly save me return shipping if it doesn't work.

One more question: What's is a good bag for just my 18mo. DD? She'll be going to activities without little sis, so I'll need something to send with her.

Thanks!
Jennifer

mommato2boys
07-20-2005, 01:23 PM
I am a heavy packer so personally I would go for the biggest bag I can, at least in the begining, then downsize as needed. The landend DIA bag is a very good starter bag, and with two the wide mouth design is very easy to locate what you need quickly.
The skip hop expo is great, not a huge bag but I can pack a lot in it, it depends on how you pack-I think that is the key with it, pack carefully and it holds a ton! Also, the expo can zip up to make the bag smaller when you need just a little!
There are tons of toddler totes to choose from for your toddler!

my3fallkiddos
07-20-2005, 08:38 PM
My two little guys will be 21-22 months apart when DS #2 arrives this September. I just bought last night a SH Dash in Charcoal. I'm hoping it really is "the bag" because DH will kill me if it's not! ;)

Carrie
EDD w/#3 9/20/05

mamicka
07-21-2005, 09:36 AM
You might want to check-out non-diaper bags. My needs are similar to yours & I have yet to find an actual diaper bag that works. I have also found that I need organization in the form of dividers, not pockets. I started another thread about 4 bags that I ordered from ebags that seem to have what I need. Another two that I just found this morning:
http://www.ebags.com/ebags/lightning_2_0/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=59015
http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?ModelID=59040&bb_id=s96&PrCartSuggestions_cross_sell_Link=59040
I've ordered those as well. You give-up some chic styling but gain a lot better organization for how my brain works.

Allison

Judie
07-21-2005, 10:35 AM
allison- you bring up a very good point about not needing pockets but dividers. i can't wait to hear your reviews when you receive your bags. i can't believe you ordered- what 6 bags ;-) lol!!!

how old are your kids?

judie

jbrownd
07-21-2005, 10:48 AM
I did go to Nordstrom yesterday to see the Skip Hop IRL. All they had was the Duo, which I'm not crazy about. I do like how the Dash looks, though. I ordered it last night (free shipping on Distinctive Nurseries). If it won't work well for both DD's, I can use it when I have one alone. I'm still probably going to order the Lands End LT and DIA. I plan on packing one to leave in the car.
I also emailed LL Bean to see why they quit carrying their diaper bag. Their traveling tour bag is very similar, but am still curious as to why they don't offer it anymore.

The search continues........Jennifer

mamicka
07-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Yes - 6 bags :). DH is out-of-town at the moment :). I'm normally really restrained when it comes to stuff like this but at ebags it's free shipping & free return shipping - so I'm not worried.

My kids are ~25 months & ~3 months.

Allison

ckleist
07-21-2005, 02:57 PM
I just got the microfiber tote from LL Bean, it is a spacious bag without being overly huge and it has good organization. I tend to be a heavy packer because my youngest (9 months and 28 months) has reflux and spits up a lot, so I need to carry at least one full change of clothes and several cloth diapers that I use for burp rags. I posted some pics here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/c_kleist/my_photos

Judie
07-25-2005, 03:21 PM
hi allison- did you receive any bags yet???? i really need a diaper bag for my two and am waiting to hear your reviews :-)

did i tell you my daughter's ages? one is 26 months and the other is 5 weeks.

judie

mamicka
07-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Not yet :(. I'm expecting 4 packages today & am waiting not-so-patiently.

Judie
07-25-2005, 03:53 PM
ugh! i hope you get them soon.....and you better tell us about them asap ;-)

judie

wendinbill
07-25-2005, 06:58 PM
The Lands End backpack would be perfect!

wendinbill
07-25-2005, 06:59 PM
The free hospital bag was my car bag! ;)

jbrownd
07-25-2005, 10:29 PM
I ordered the Lands End DIA and LT last week. I also ordered a Skip Hop Dash. All should be here this week....I hope. I just had to see them IRL to see what would work for me. I plan on keeping the LT regardless. It will be for my toddler alone. Who knows....I may end up keeping them all.

jbrownd
07-25-2005, 10:31 PM
I guess since I'll be getting another one soon, that would be the perfect car bag. I use my first one for stashing all my extra breastpump supplies. Thanks for the good idea!