PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Diaper Bags

silkeymilkey
07-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Hello there,
I have been reading all the posts and have been going back and forth on web sites to find the "perfect" diaper bag.

I am going to be a new mom in Sept. and don't know what to expect as far as what I will need in a diaper bag. I looked at the SH Dash and liked it but I keep hearing it is not big enough and people have to restock often.

I am thinking about 2 bags, both that DH and I can use, one for long weekend trips and one for errands/day care.

I will be registering at BRS and Target so if these two places have anything worthwhile that would be great but it is not a requirement.

Any suggestions?
TIA
Silkey

cbm
07-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Hi,
I remember the confusion over diaper bags very well. I ended up waiting until after DS was born before buying one.
I am not going to list the bags I now have, I don't think that would really help your confusion. However, I would like to tell you about things you may want to consider before buying a diaper bag.

1) How much or how little will you use the bag?

2)Are you a heavy packer or not? Look at the way you pack when you travel, that should give you a clue. When the baby comes, you will have an even bigger idea of what you need and what you don't.

3) In general do you like backpacks? Messenger bags? Or do you prefer totes? You may want to go with a style that suits you.
Backpacks free your hands which is great when you are trying to juggle many things at once. Messenger bags can give you a certain degree of freedom too, unless they are too long and bulky and, therefore, get in the way. The tote is not a favorite of mine. They usually slide off the shoulder, but they may work for you.
If you want a big bag, many on the board seem to like the Mothership.
At any rate, don't worry about it. At the hospital they usually give you a diaper bag (sponsored by a formula maker.) It may not be stylish, but at first it will work very well.

I hope this helps.

Claudia

DS 12/04

tmrbwilson1998
07-27-2005, 04:35 AM
Hi! I totally agree with Claudia, the PP. When DS was born, I rec'd a LE LT and DIA. I was BF for 5 months until DS developed reflux and digestion problems, then had to put him on a rx formula, so I have it both ways. I found that I liked to pack a lot, but the DIA was huge to me to lug around. As soon as I started "wearing" DS, I switched to a small hiking backpack that happened to have 2 outside water bottle net pockets, and I used that for over a year! Goes to show you, once you discern what your needs are, then you can find that perfect bag for you!

Something another swapper said that rang true to me was that at different phases in baby's life, your bag needs probably will change. I think that if you use the free hospital bag Claudia mentioned for a little while, you will find what your needs are and then can better answer the questions she posed re: your needs.

If you still want some bag suggestions, maybe you can think about Claudia's questions and then we can suggest some bags that will suit your needs.

Congrats!
Tina

cleo27
07-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Hmm, that is a tough question, but I will say after having several bags that the Dash is my absolute favorite and it is very versatile and holds more than you might think.

We use a big bag similar to the Lands End do-it-all for daycare.

Good luck, and you don't have to decide right away. I know I used the hospital freebie for the first month or so, then I discovered that I like trying new bags :)

golfgirl12_27
07-29-2005, 10:03 PM
I also agree with waiting until the baby gets here to decide what you NEED in a bag. Of course if you're putting one on a Target/BRU registry you can put an inexpensive one on there to use until you decide. My DD is 6.5 months old and I still haven't found the "perfect bag." Although, I just got a Skip Hop Duo that will come in handy for my stroller bag and a bag for DH and I am waiting on a Bumble Bag Jessica to come in. I've narrowed it down to that one or a Loom Marsupial.

I got all excited while I was pregnant and ordered a Vera Bradley baby bag and I can't stand it. I used it for a month or two and then switched to a large purse that worked fairly well. So we'll see about the bag I am waiting on. I'm hoping that was it.

As for suggestions........BRU has a Duo knockoff that is cordurory and only $20 and Target has a Duo knockoff that is a vinyl type stuff that is either red or light blue and $15 I think. Either of those would probably work until you found your "perfect bag" and then you could use it on your stroller!

Good luck,
Suz
dd- Sophia 01.12.05

feierabend35
07-29-2005, 10:18 PM
How does the Dash compare in size/space to the DIA from LE? Is the difference significant?
JENN:)

jamsmu
07-31-2005, 09:43 PM
VERY different. But in terms of Diaper Bags, you're talking apples and oranges... maybe even apples and grapefruits. The DIA is more of a duffle--its huge. The Dash, which I haven't received yet, is a messenger. Totally different organization style and perks as well.

silkeymilkey
08-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks Claudia, you made some excellent points, especially about considering what I usually carry and am comfortable with. I hadn't thought about that!

silkeymilkey
08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the input ladies. My needs will be a bag for daycare, a bag to do errands and run around with, and a bag that I can take down to my parents' house for weekend trips. I would love if the weekend bag and the daycare bag are one and the same but that may be wishful thinking.

I plan on breastfeeding so that will play a part...

I will register for some of the Duo knockoffs (Duo is what I am leaning towards for the errand/run around bag anyway) and other bags suggested just for the sake of registering and can make up my mind when DS is born (just 8 weeks to go!).

That is probably the best idea, to wait and see...It is so easy and tempting to fall into the trap of ordering those cute expensive bags that I've seen on various websites, but I will try and restrain ;)

I'll keep you all posted!

shopmama
08-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Coming in late, but I bought one bag. One! The Kate Spade messenger bag has been all I've needed. Buy one bag that you're in love with, and that your husband can carry respectably. You will find a way to work with it.

Good luck (and fwiw, I would have gotten an Oi Oi or a Skip Hop if I had it to do over again, but I like my KS just fine!)