PDA

View Full Version : Dash, Duo, or somthing else? Help, please!!

lmwbasye
07-31-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm a FTM with a 9 mo. old DS and am still looking for "THE ONE." LOL! I'm currently using an eddie bauer messenger-style sling bag from BRU until I can find a great diaper bag. (BTW...I do really like my eddie bauer, but it's not as fashionable as I'd like). I have a few questions, though.

1. How difficult is it to attach and remove the SH from the stroller? This will prob. sound naive, but do you carry it on your shoulder until in store, then attach to stroller, then remove when folding up stroller to put in car? If so, how cumbersome/annoying is this?

2. I've seen SH Duo copies at BRU and seemed interested. The price is right, but DH and I are very big on being willing to spend the money if you are going to get high-quality. I'd rather spend $75 on a Duo that is high-quality and will last/make me happy than a $20 copy that will fall apart easily. KWIM?

3. We currently have a red (Metallica) P3 and just ordered the Zooper Swing (I know...overkill, but we hate switching the P3 back and forth between cars) in Blue Denim. Would the red Duo/Dash be best for this? Here's a link to both strollers:

P3: http://www.specialtybaby.com/pegpe20plp3m.html
Zooper: http://www.specialtybaby.com/pegpe20plp3m.html

4. Duo or Dash? Which is best? Also, what fabric? Denim, Cord, etc.?

Please help me. I'm a new mom and desperate for some guidance from the experts.

TIA!

Laura :)

Liam (10/21)

ellies mom
07-31-2005, 09:32 PM
The vast majority of the time my Duo is hanging off the stroller. I almost never use it as a messenger bag. Personally, I agree with you about spending the money if it will last. I haven't seen the BRU version of the SkipHop yet but I was very unimpressed with Target's version.

As for feeling like you might be in overkill mode on the strollers, head over to the stroller board. You'll feel much better. Two strollers are nothing. Then again maybe you shouldn't go over there. It can be bad for the budget. ;)

As for the difference between the Duo and Dash, let me hit the biggies I notice. Duo has an "I can't live without bottle holder" on the outside. Sure, I do put sippy cups in it occasionally, but I really like that it holds my coffee cup as well. Dash has that neat flap. Sometimes I wish the Dou had a way to close the main compartment. I think the Dash is a little smaller than the Duo but (in my mind at least) they are still good size bags.

In your case I'd probably go with red. It is pretty cheery. As for canvas versus cord, I think the canvas is easier to clean than the cord, but the cord it so sharp looking.

I have the Red canvas Duo and have virtually no complaints except that I'm getting my pink SC Micro this week and well it's going to clash. So I'm actually deciding whether I want a pink Duo or Dash. I'd like to give the Dash a try but I think all the black bits on the Duo will go nicely with the stroller.

Hope I was a bit of help.

jamsmu
07-31-2005, 09:32 PM
1. How difficult is it to attach and remove the SH from the stroller? This will prob. sound naive, but do you carry it on your shoulder until in store, then attach to stroller, then remove when folding up stroller to put in car? If so, how cumbersome/annoying is this?
--Attachment is similar to that at BRU. I use it with an umbrella stroller, so you can also just slide it on and off. Usually, I keep the messenger strap in the bag or in the car--as I rarely use the strap. Basically, I get the stroller and bag out of the car, set up the stroller, attach the bag, then go shopping. For my stroller, you do have to take the bag off the stroller before putting it in the car. Not too annoying--this bag is my FAVE--its a huge luxury to me when at amusement parks (like Sesame Place last week) and on vacation (ie airports, walking through Vegas, etc.) I love not carrying anything on my shoulder and having an empty basket to hold little things. And the organization, for me, is perfect!

2. I've seen SH Duo copies at BRU and seemed interested. The price is right, but DH and I are very big on being willing to spend the money if you are going to get high-quality. I'd rather spend $75 on a Duo that is high-quality and will last/make me happy than a $20 copy that will fall apart easily. KWIM?
--you can probably find the DUO for less than $75. I would get that over the BRU. The BRU is nice (saw it the other day) but the canvas and cord on the SH are much more firm. The straps on the SH are so much stronger--that's what really surprised me at BRU. I immediately thought, its very clear that this is a copy--it won't last as long at all.

3. We currently have a red (Metallica) P3 and just ordered the Zooper Swing (I know...overkill, but we hate switching the P3 back and forth between cars) in Blue Denim. Would the red Duo/Dash be best for this? Here's a link to both strollers:

P3: http://www.specialtybaby.com/pegpe20plp3m.html
Zooper: http://www.specialtybaby.com/pegpe20plp3m.html

--I'm not good with colors, so I'm skipping this.

4. Duo or Dash? Which is best? Also, what fabric? Denim, Cord, etc.?
--I LOVE my Duo and currently have 3. Talk about overkill, I just ordered a Dash!! I have both Canvas and Cord. Cord was wonderful in the winter, but I'm all about the Canvas now--as I can use it year-round. Can't personally compare the bags for you, yet, though.

Do you have Nordstrom or Bloomingdales nearby? both carry the SH so you can see them IRL.

Some board members who sell them are lmariana at happydaybaby.com, michelleRC at mylittleducks.com, and Jen at expressivetoys.com

ellies mom
07-31-2005, 09:36 PM
Julie-
I replied above to the OP but I just wanted to say that I feel so much better wanting a second SH since I heard that you had three. I was feeling a little silly wanting a second one just so that it would match my new stroller.

lmwbasye
07-31-2005, 10:12 PM
Veronica,

Are you kidding me?! Of course, I would also insist on the second bag to match the new stroller. You're right, the red would totally clash with the pink. I'm mad jealous since pink is soooo cute. I need a girl next time. :)

As far as overkill with the strollers, I had been on that board and was recommended a lighter stroller (i.e. Quest) over another P3-type stroller, but I don't think we're quite ready for that yet with DS. Still in that FTM mode where I "need" all the features of a bigger stroller. LOL!

Anyway, thanks so much for your help. I have one more big question....

I hear that you leave the bag with the stroller. So do you have a separate diaper bag? Is the SH usually empty until you shop? Do you carry a purse then? And the coffe cup you are talking about is a permanent one (i.e. not foam cup)? I'm really interested in this feature since the P3 and Swing both virtually have no cup holder.

Right now, my diaper bag is my purse/handbag, so I'm a bit confused on how this all works. I carry my wallet, keys, coupons, etc. in the diaper bag. With the SH, would I just have all of DS's stuff in the bag and then have my purse?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm a diaper bag virgin! **blush**

Laura :)

Liam (10/21)

ellies mom
08-01-2005, 12:29 AM
I keep the SH packed and in the car, so when I need it I just attach it to the stroller. I keep my purse (very small) either over one handle of the stroller (I have a Zippy) or in the basket. Usually if I don't bring the stroller, I risk it and leave the diaper bag in the car but if we are going to dinner I carry it. I don't bother with the messenger strap unless I'm seriously carrying it.

I just stick the regular old coffee cup I get at Starbucks in the bottle pocket. It is better if you drink it down an inch or so.

There are zippered pockets along the top of the SH that would work for your wallet, keys etc. When we fly someplace, I often use those pockets and pack my purse, so I know they will meet that need. I'm thinking of making a wristlet (like Fleurville sells only way cheaper) so that I can stash it in the SH but still have easy access to it.

I don't think I'm explaining it well, but I hope I've cleared a few questions up.