PDA

View Full Version : Portable Changing Mat--Suggestions?

spanannie
08-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I'd like to find a portable changing mat to carry in my purse, when I'm not toting my diaper bag with me. I'd prefer it to not be huge, but to cover enough area of a restroom changing table to keep the germs off of DD. I saw some cute ones, actually, a while back, when I wasn't looking, and can't find them now.

I've seen the Patemm Pads on-line, and I don't think they are what I am looking for; from the on-line pics, they just look too big for what I need. I just need a pad; it doesn't have to hold anything.

Thanks!

nd93
08-01-2005, 11:41 PM
check out www.brownson5th.com. Under diaper bags, they have a selection of cute changing mats.

dhano923
08-02-2005, 01:10 AM
How about the OiOi change mat kit? I got one for a friend's baby shower and it was really cute. I got it at www.boogiebabyonline.com. I think it was about $35.

tinainsala
08-02-2005, 09:16 AM
I have the funkie baby go mat that Brown's on 5th is selling- it was referenced in one of the replies to this post. I have the groovy dogs print. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it...happy to provide feedback on it if you like.
Thanks,
Tina

jasabo
08-02-2005, 10:17 AM
If you want something small enough to fit in your purse, I'd go with the disposable ones. Huggies makes them, and there's also a new brand that are much cheaper then Huggies and more compact. Maybe Munchkin? I can't remember. I bought them at Target. I LOVE them. The size of both brands is great, they have a water proof lining so nothing gets through, and you just toss them when you're done so you're not transferring gross germs from the changing table into your purse.

I know they're not environmentally sound, but if you're like me, you won't use them very often - I rarely need to change my boys when we're out. And the thought of putting a changing pad back into my diaper bag just grosses me out. But I'm a little more germphobic then most.

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

spanannie
08-02-2005, 01:49 PM
That's exactly the one I had been thinking of!

Thanks!

spanannie
08-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Oooh, I like that one too! I have not seen this one before.

The only thing I'm worried about is, is it thick when it's folded up? Would it take up a ton of room in my purse?

Thanks!

spanannie
08-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks!

I actually carry those, too...for those really nasty messes!

DD is only 1 yr, so we're still in the stage where it seems like she has to be changed a lot when I'm out. Actually, it seems like she saves her poops for when we go out!

tribegirl3
08-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I have the Patemm Pad and love it. I also have the Fleurville Escape Pod and love it, it's got great storage capabilities!
http://www.fleurville.com/pod.asp

I am in love with the little changing pad that came with it, I use it all the time.

I don't have one of these Baby Go Packs but they are super cute:
http://www.satsumababy.com/babygopacks.html

I hope you find something you love, and when you do...post it here!

Angie

supercalifragilous
08-03-2005, 05:25 PM
We go the disposable route too. I found the Huggies a little too small & expensive and i haven't seen the Munchkin ones yet, We buy the "Underpads" (chux pads) found next to the Depends @ Target, Wal-Mart, anywhere. They're meant to protect the mattress should the Depends leak or something. They're huge at 18 x 23 but they're cheaper than the Huggies. You can also find them in the potty training aisle at PetSmart or PetCo but I found those to be the same exact thing but more expensive, just like anything "baby."

Anyway, I have little packages ready to go - one underpad, one dipe, wipes, and 1 Lysol hand sanitizing wipe all wrapped into one neat kit. I usually always have one in my diaper bag. That way I can always hand the kit over to DH if need be. :D

Here's a chux pad that's washable/reusable.
http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/ClothMom.html
(Might be an option once the little changing pads get too small.)

ETA: There's also a portable changing station from Especially For Baby that we have for backup - it has a strap that can velcro around a stroller handle. The pad itself folds out so it gets really big. It's just a little on the bulky side and won't fit into a lot of diaper bags though. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067QZ1/103-6133122-5910268?v=glance&s=baby&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures

dhano923
08-03-2005, 07:02 PM
I don't think the OiOi change mat is too thick. It's only like 3/4" thick without having anything in the pockets. I didn't try it out myself since it was a gift, but the friend I got it for loves it. She keeps it in her diaper bag but she said she also throws it in the car when she's running a quick errand or something where she doesn't need her big diaper bag.