PDA

View Full Version : Too many brands of diaper backpacks--please help! Kecci Sherpa Kelty Skip Hop McKenzie???

ElizaMum
08-03-2005, 07:33 PM
I have diaper bag envy after reading all of these posts. After much searching of this message board, I decide to make a new post. I am trying to find a backpack variety that is sturdy, well-organized, and stylish at the same time. I do not want to spend more than $75, but the options in my price range seem almost endless.

Any information (usefulness, durability, where to find the best deals, etc.) about the following brands of backpacks would be helpful:

Kecci
Skip Hop
Safeline
Combi
Sherpa
Babies Alley
McKenzie
Chester
Vera Bradley
Kelty

Thanks for your time and assistance!

Kristie
Eliza's Mum - 8 months, 19 days

clc053103
08-04-2005, 09:14 AM
I am a new mom so I hope you find a newbie's opinion helpful!

I have two bags- a Kecci Shanghi and Skip Hop Dash.

Kecci: It is beautiful, no doubt. However, I don't really like it. It's floppy. There aren't enough pockets inside, and they too are floppy. Not the bag for you if you love organization. But I still carry it b/c I love the look of it.

Dash: love it- love that it hangs from the stroller handles, is not too large, and has plenty of compartments. Fabric is very sturdy. Got great customer service when I bought the bag from Jen at expressivetoys.com.

Hopefully you will get lots of other responses!

mommato2boys
08-04-2005, 04:31 PM
I am currently using my skip hop expo... I love the expandable bottom and will certainly appreciate it when I can zip it up as DS gets older and doesn't need the extra stuff! Personally, I think the expo is one of the best bags, you can have it big or have it smaller. Packing the bag, and the way you pack it is the key to making everything fit, if you are a heavy packer. I can fit a lot in the expo but I do have to pack it carefully to make it work. The vertical design isn't for everyone though and is a complaint but I don't find it a problem since I pack what I don't use a lot on the bottom.

The baby sherpa is a nice bag but I just wasn't that crazy about it in person...I have it for the times I need a cooler with me, but I have not used it yet.

The Kelty backpack is great...I loved it for DS#1, the three ways to carry it is great. I found it very big, held tons when I needed it to and was sporty so I could take it to the park and set in on the ground if needed. The newer ones are nicer colored than the older one I have. This bag still gets use in my house! Very good quality.

nd93
08-04-2005, 06:27 PM
I can only comment on the Kelty, but have to agree with PP, it's a workhorse! We bought it 2 years ago before a trip to WDW and it is our main pack for long outings. The bottle pockets on the sides can hold 2 waters each, and there is tons of room inside. It is comfy as a backpack, and the shoulder strap is nice too. We have the Kelty carrier so we can attach it to that if need be. Ours has been everywhere and still looks great. The parent pouch in front is nicely organized. I got mine at REI with a coupon so it was very reasonable as well.

tinainsala
08-04-2005, 07:29 PM
I've also got 2 bags:

Skip Hop Expo- Note: this is not a backpack- it's a messenger with stroller attachments.
Like a pp already mentioned great bag, lots of organization and pockets, expand feature is super, neutral enough for dh to hold/carry, but the vertical design is not for everyone. Also, it doesn't have as many exterior bottle pockets as Dash and Duo because of the expand feature- however, it does have 2 interior bottle/ cup pockets. Seems well-built and it will last a long time. I haven't had the chance to use it much yet.

Chester Backpack- This is my everyday bag. I love this bag- super lightweight, feels great on your back for hours as long as its packed well. Holds shape well and looks small but stuffable. Some cons- not for heavy packers/ not that large in size, not much interior organization/ pockets, black interior. The interior can be remedied by using cosmetic bags and other organizers that aren't black. Also, well made and durable plus they have wonderful customer service.

Hope that helps!
Tina

tinainsala
08-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Oops! I hit enter twice by mistake.