PDA

View Full Version : Come share your wisdom with a Diaper Bag Virgin!! (LE LT, Dash/Duo, LE DIA)

TeacherAmy
08-07-2005, 05:42 PM
I had no idea... I finally navigated Stroller Hell and didn't realize diaper bags could also require a graduate degree.

I don't like carrying around bulky things and tend to pack light. But as a first-time mom, am I being unrealistic about using the Lands' End Little Tripper for standard grocery store/errand trips? I had also considered getting the Lands' End Do-It-All for overnights, road trips, and airline trips (we're stationed in Germany, so a few overseas flights are in our future and I've heard the DIA is good for that stuff).

But now that I am reading all of these messages, I'm intrigued by the Dash and Duo. Could someone please tell the clueless one more about the differences between the two? I'd be willing to spend a bit more (but not a ton) on a really good-quality diaper bag that I won't need to replace out of need or irritation.

Thank you all a TON in advance for any guidance!!

tinainsala
08-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Both strollers and diaper bags- with so many choices and info out there, it's easy to get obsessed and overwhelmed. But luckily there's some great resources online for both and lots of moms willing to share experiences!

Many light packers use the LE LT for quick errands/ short trips. I had a LE LT and I found it to be too small but I tend to be a medium packer. It all depends on what you're trying to put in there. The organization is great and the interior is not black- so easy to see your stuff.

I have no experience with the LE DIA but have heard opinions on both the new style and the older style...something you may want to note to see what may best meet your needs.

I don't have a Dash or Duo but I have the Expo which is similar in design to the Duo. I researched all 3 when selecting my bag. There's all messenger/ stroller bags- great feature to snap on the stroller. The Dash has a velcro flap and is shorter and wider. Some prefer this because it's easier to look inside and grab what's needed. Both the Duo and Expo are vertical in design with similar dimensions so they are tall bags and things need to be layered a bit. But I believe the pockets on the Duo and Dash are similar on the interior. I know you mentioned you're willing to spend a bit more but there have been some Duo knock-offs appearing at Target (Amy Coe and Sassy) and BRU (Koala Kids) which clearly aren't the SH quality and have different pocket configurations and some have snaps instead of clips for the stroller attachment but you could check those out live to see if it might work for you...as a starting point.

How you pack the bag makes all the difference.

HTH!
Tina

ellies mom
08-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Well, are you a little purse person or a big purse person? It's all about how you pack. I'm a little purse person. I think the Duo is on the large side. Some people think it is way too small, so it really is relative. If you are a light packer, then the Dash, Duo or Little Tripper should meet your needs for an everyday bag. I have the Duo right now and I use it for all my diaper bag needs. I love it because it connects to the stroller. I'm considering a Dash or Little Tripper because I'd like a smaller bag for my new smaller stroller. Ok, there is the bit about the red Duo clashing with my new stroller as well, but DH doesn't understand it that way.

My biggest complaint about the Dash is that the bottle holder isn't like the one on the Duo. The Duo bottle holder also holds a cup of coffee or a sippy cup. The bottle holder on the Dash only seems to hold a bottle which is pointless for me.

Here is the website for SkipHop. You can get a good idea of the differences between the Dash and Duo here. In either case, they are both really well made. I don't think you could go wrong with Little Tripper either especially for $20.

http://www.skiphop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?screen=SFNT

ykc
08-07-2005, 10:35 PM
I have to agree with Veronica: little bag or big bag philosophy of life? I've always hated carrying purses and do so now only because my keys are too big to fit in pockets and half my clothes don't have pockets anyway. (Of course, once I have that purse with me, other things start to show up in it....) And I don't carry around a lot of stuff for my kids either.

I have an *old* Little Tripper, before they came out with cool colours and neat pockets. It's been great for my family, so even though I keep looking at the the new ones, I haven't broken down and bought one yet. (Though, now that I've been introduced to the SkipHops, who knows?) It stores a few diapers and a box of wipes, along with a burp rag or two. I haven't had to use mine for bottles in forever--first baby finished with bottles four years ago, second baby nursed past the bottle stage--but I seem to recall it could hold a couple of bottles without too much problem. Now, I can stuff in a small bowl, toddler silverware, bib and a sippy cup, along with a few snacks. The outside pocket holds my wallet, cell phone, big bunch of keys. I ditched the changing pad a long time ago and now use one of those Fold & Go Changing Kits. It's the only diaper bag I've ever owned.

Caveat: everything seems much more padded than just 5 years ago, so I don't know if that changes the stuffability of the bag. I did order the LE diaper backpack once, but it was way too heavy to use. When we travel by plane, I stick the Fold & Go in a regular backpack--not so fashionable, but easier getting through security with kids, stroller and carseat; taking off shoes, coats; holding boarding passes and IDs...you get the idea. :)

HTH--and remember, shopping never ends!

tmrbwilson1998
08-08-2005, 07:03 AM
I also live in Germany and have made the trans-Atlantic flight once a year for three years now, and will continue for three more (except now with a 3yo and an infant!), so I totally appreciate your query since I was there too.

When I had DS (my first), I was given both the DIA and the LT. I breastfed the first almost 6 months until DS developed severe reflux and digestion issues, then had prescription formula. The LT was my only bag the first 6 months when I bf. I packed the following:

extra sleeper/outfit
extra outfit
extra socks
water bottle for me
extra thin rec'ing blanket
a few dipes and a hard travel wipes case
burp cloth
wallet
small handy/cell phone
small compact
pen

Granted, my bag was packed tight, but I LOVED both my older version LT and the new one! Once DS needed the formula, I still used the LT for shorter trips and carried a thermos with hot water in the stroller. Aside: the first year of my little guy's life we lived with the stroller, walking in the city where we live or using the strassenbahn to get everywhere, spending 6 hours + a day out and about away from the house, and still found the LT to be a great bag for the first 6 months before formula and baby food came into the picture!

I found the DIA to be a bit big for me and still keep it in the trunk with extra everything for DS (and now DD as well). I used the DIA for our plane trips home and overnight trips traveling and liked it a lot for those heavier-duty purposes.

Of those you mentioned, these are the only two I have experience with, so I am sorry I cannot speak to the SkipHops. Good luck to you...

HTH!
Tina

TeacherAmy
08-08-2005, 10:14 AM
This is fantastic--just the info I'm needing. It sounds like the LT will be fine for me on a daily basis, since I'm a small purse person. Perhaps the DIA will be the baby's "suitcase" for those travels...