PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new diaper backpack....ideas needed

spanannie
08-09-2005, 11:18 PM
I recently (2 weeks ago) bought a PPB Boxy Backpack in the Spring Roll fabric. I really enjoy having a diaper bag that is a backpack now, since I have DD, 13 mos, and DS, barely 3, and that keeps my hands free. However, I'm not so sure that this will be the backpack for me. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on a backpack (not in the Asian brocade-type fabric) that is attractive, stylish, and very functional. The PPB is functional enough for me, and I think it's beautiful, but I think we may be too rough on things to have a fabric like this. I don't know that I would get enough wear out of it to justify it's cost. I'd like to find something with fabric that is a little more durable/cleanable.

Thanks!

audball
08-10-2005, 09:15 AM
I was going to suggest the Timi & Leslie Backpacks, but most of them are in a version of Asian brocade. Pluses: Vinyl-coated (easy to wipe spills), nylon interior, big roomy interior with side pockets (helpful for cloth diapering mamas), super-comfy shoulder straps. Negatives: Vinyl-coated (not all of us are vinyl fans, although admitedly, this is a nicer vinyl), big "pit" in center of the bag, drawstring top may be a pain to some.

Others which are pretty are the Posh Baby (backpack/messenger,huge, great fabrics, and very lightly-coated vinyl for easy wiping) and the Bumble Bags, Jessica style (backpack/messenger conversion). The Bumble Bag is made from an upholstery-grade material that can either be spot-cleaned or put in the washing machine now. You probably have to iron the heck out of it, but at least you wouldn't have to dry clean the bag (or take a few days cleaning it. A poster here found better luck washing her PPB herself at home than taking it to a dry cleaner).

I'm a super light packer for two (3 y.o and 19 month old) and love the Chester backpacks. They are phasing these out temporarily, but may have more in the fall. You can see them at www.chesterhandbags.com - go to their sale bags page and they have a few left. I have the nylon prints and they are absolutely a dream to clean. Not a lot of interior organization, but I just use their small cosmetic cases that come with the order to help me organize. I can fit a fair amount in there! They are offering 20% off and free shipping using this code: AUGSEP05B. Type it in their comments section and you should have the discount reflected when you receive the bag (you can't see the discount on-line when you place the order). The bags don't feel like anything when you are wearing them!

Prices for the other bags are a little high.

There have been some great posts about Babies R Us "knock-off" of the PPBs (Koala Kids brand), including a brown and black brocade that's only $25! Of course, you are back to the brocade issue..

mommato2boys
08-10-2005, 12:29 PM
I love the look of a lot of backpack, especially these pretty ones, but they are so delicate for me....I need a bag that is going to take abuse, a five year old stepping on it to get into the car, carrying it everyday, and take an occasional muddy foot print too...so these don't work for me. I love the kelty kids backpack, I love the three ways to hold it, and it takes a lot of abuse!!!! Not very stylish though. But worth a look if your interested.
ebag.com has some of them!

funda62
08-11-2005, 03:39 AM
I've read tons of good reviews about the Lands End line of diaper bags, and they do have a backpack style. http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1943_47583_120488_98935_5:view=-1,00.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_47581&sid=8268114033997134041

This is what I'll be getting for the new baby.

cma
08-12-2005, 04:07 PM
On the rec of posts on this board, I bought a Dakine Helix Backpack in the Garnet Leilani. I've been using a combi backpack for the last 4 years, but DS's explorer personality has convinced me I'm still in a backpack phase.

http://www.dougsports.com/detailsdetails.php?u=872f6a7491f62e22b04cdb05f48f6 d89&i=805

I've got an e-mail in to Dakine to double check exactly how to clean it, but the pack itself has prettty good organization, it's not too big (it's a women's pack so it fits nicely on my back), holds enough for 2 kids and it's cute to me.

Good Luck!