PDA

View Full Version : Patemm Pad for boy- pockets necessary?

feierabend35
08-16-2005, 11:07 AM
I am seeking opinions on which Patemm Pad to buy. . .

I like the Emma print but I would only order it if it is red, not pink--- does anyone have one IRL that can help me on this one? Otherwise, I like the Jack but I don't know if the pockets are necessary or useful, or just add to the bulk.

Anyone with opinions on the pads, colors, or the pockets please reply! It is hard on the website because they don't show the full pads, just a swatch.

TIA!
Jenn :)

suzhatch1
08-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi Jenn -

I have a large Patemm pad & can vouch that they are wonderful. The Emma print really is red & white. There is *no* pink in it. It's misleading on the website because it looks very girly, like it's pinkish-red, but when I was deciding on a pad, I asked Patemm for some sample swatches & the Emma is VERY VERY red...looks like a red bandana print honestly.

As for pockets, I have them in mine, but have only used them a couple times when I carry the Patemm by iteself (which is not often). For example, if I'm going on a walk w/the stroller around the lake, I'll fill the pockets & just toss the whole thing in the stroller basket and I won't even need a diaper bag.

But for the other 98% of the time when I do have a diaper bag with me, I fit the patemm in the bag empty (nothing in the pockets) & use the diaper bag to hold stuff like the dipes, wipes & change of clothes. If you stuff the pockets of the patemm it usually becomes too bulky to put into a diaper bag, so honestly I just don't use the pockets that much.

HTH!
Suz :)

tmrbwilson1998
08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi, Jenn! I bought an Emma for a friend and I remember thinking it looked more red than pink, and I recall others on this board mentioning the same thing. Some others have also mentioned that they can get a bit bulky with the pockets filled. I am not sure where you plan to keep it (i.e., in the house, on the go in your diaper bag, etc.), but that may help determine if you really need the pockets.

Here are a couple of links I hope will be helpful for you!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=24441&mode=full

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=22147&mode=full

If I was going to get one (I am still wavering!), I would go ahead and get the pockets. Though you may not need them all the time and though they add more bulk, I could see some instances when you could leave the diaper bag in the car and take just the Patemm with the dipes and wipes in it.

HTH and Happy Shopping!
Tina

feierabend35
08-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Thank you for your thoughts Suz and Tina! I'm glad to hear it's red, that's the color I will be getting for sure... now the small/large and pockets/no pockets decision.
Anyone else have a review?
Jenn :)

sidmand
08-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I have one--I have no idea anymore what color officially it is, it's blues and greens--although I don't use it much when going out as a true "diaper bag," I've found it to be great a) on vacation when making a spare changing table and b) I use it after baths as protection for the bed when changing/dressing DS. He has a habit of spraying and/or spitting up on anything within reach so it's worked pretty well!

Sorry for any typos--typing with kiddo onboard.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

michlyn
08-16-2005, 09:24 PM
I love my Patemm pad. I have a large gracie floral. This pattern only comes with pockets, and I do keep 1 diaper and a small thin pack of wipes in there. It's nice to pull out just the pad and have everything I need to do a diaper change - not too much fiddling around with my diaper bag. That being said, I agree it can get bulky, so that's why I put one dipe or at most, two only. I love the large size because it gives DD some coverage (she's also tall for her age) and she's really squirmy now.

kharden
08-17-2005, 09:44 AM
I think the patemn pads are so cute, but I've had a hard time justifying the purchase of one (to myself). What is the 1 true reason why someone should get one of these?
Stacie

feierabend35
08-17-2005, 10:23 AM
I just think they are cute, and am willing to splurge on a few things. I do wonder, too, because so many people on posts have just LOVED these, one of the best things bought, etc. I with I could find a gently used one I could buy to try it out.

Thank you everyone who has contributed! JENN :)

suzhatch1
08-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Stacie - Here's my 1 true reason that I go back to that helps me rationalize the cost: It's the only round changing pad that keeps little squirmy DD protected from all the "yuckies" and I can fold it up small enough to carry or put into a diaper bag. Plus, for us it doubles as a changing station downstairs (so we don't have to go upstairs to the nursery for every diaper change) and it doubles as a changing station as Granma's house when we are visiting.

I'd had enough of the rectangular ones that were too small, or too thin, or too flimsy. DD squirms her little butt off them. Plus her hands reach out to the sides and can touch stuff that could possibly be gross when we're at a public place (like a restroom, public changing station, etc). The Patemm sides fold up so if DD reaches out w/her hands, I know she's just going to touch the side of the pad.

HTH!

kharden
08-17-2005, 01:55 PM
That does help, Suz! My problem is that I tend to splurge on so many things, and while I'm usually pretty happy that I did, I do sometimes wonder why I needed it. So, I'm basically trying to "police" myself. I can definitely see what you're saying about the germs though. I keep thinking that I'd use it when we're at my older boys soccer games (the ground), but then I think about the wonderful blanket I have from babystyle made nice and cushy for the ground, and don't know if I actually would ever need it (since I'll have that layed out anyway). Oh, how I've gone round and round on this one (no pun intended!). I guess, since I keep thinking about it, I may as well just get it. :)

Stacie

suzhatch1
08-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Stacie - If it helps I'm kinda a diaper bag/baby accessory junkie (I purchase a lot of stuff on impulse because it's cute or gets rave reviews) honestly I held out for a couple months on the Patemm pad before I decided to splurge. I figured that since I was still thinking about it 2 mo after I had first heard about it, that I must still really want it.

Of all the impulse buys I've made, I've sold a lot (like diaper bags and things), but I love the Patemm and am so glad I got it.

Now, that said, I know everyone is different and although I give it GLOWING remarks, someone else may find it unnecessary. But think of it this way, if you have contemplated it for this long, you probably would not be happy settling with something else. And honestly, if you get it and find you don't like it, you could probably return it (unused, of course. I think Patemm CS allows that) or sell it since I think there is a market for others who might want one. Just a thought that will help rationalize it.

tmrbwilson1998
08-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi, Suz! After a couple of months of talking myself out of it, I think you just helped me rationalize getting one, too! Ooooh, are you dangerous!

:)
Tina

suzhatch1
08-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Hi Tina!! :)

That's too funny! With your ST funds you could easily buy 1 of these & have $$ left over. Plus, just remember, I'm your friendly neighborhood "enabler"! LOL

What pattern are you thinking of?

Suz

Judie
08-17-2005, 02:18 PM
I've been contemplating this as well for a while now. I must stay away from these boards ;-) I decided against it b/c of the price but seeing this post has made me think about buying one again!

Can you tell me about the babystyle blanket??? Thanks!

Judie

tmrbwilson1998
08-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Hey again, Suz! I am looking at the Lola, although it is a bit out of my comfort zone as far as the bold colors and pattern. It looks gorgeous though, and more fun than the Emma I got for a friend months ago. I figure I waited so long for a DD, and now that she is here and DS will be potty trained soon enough, I should embrace all the floral prints and feminine colors I can find!

Did you ever get a pitaka? Wondering about just how practical these are.

So if DH asks who my bad influence is, I should just give him your name? You are such an enabler :)

I guess if the ST sells, the Patemm was meant to be, and if not, then I know it is a luxury I do not really need...hee hee!

~Tina
:D

suzhatch1
08-17-2005, 02:40 PM
LOL!! I have the large Lola & love that pattern. I was wondering if it was going to be a bit bold in terms of colors & pattern, but it's just beautiful & I'm really glad I got it. Plus, DD seems to really connect with it now. She's 8 wks & her eyes are starting to look at all the bold flowers and pretty colors. It's really a pretty print!

Yeah, go ahead give your DH my name & number. By the end of our chat I'll probably have him convinced he needs a manly-bag like a Diaper Dude or something! LOL!!

Oh, and I never did get the Pikita (sp?) I figured with the pockets in Patemm, I would never use the little Pikita thing. I've heard a couple people mention that they are not super-sold on them. I think you could either use the pockets in the Patemm pad itself, or if you are carrying a diaper bag, your dipes & wipes would just go into your bag.

Suz