PDA

View Full Version : Shopping cart covers

Maria K
08-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Is this the right place to post this?

I'm looking for suggestions on a grocery cart cover. I want one that will fit a costco cart, but one that will fold up compactly.

Do you store your cover in the car? I can't imagine stuffing it into a diaper bag. Do they come with a strap to fold it up?

- Maria

Tondi G
08-16-2005, 03:00 PM
http://www.sewcuteboutique.com/default.php

go here!

~Tondi

Maria K
08-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Really? $37 + shipping? So the ones they sell at BRU are not worth the savings?
- Maria

lvales
08-17-2005, 12:55 AM
I love love love my sewcutebotique cover!! I get compliments on it wherever I go. It is nicely padded, and dd looks really comfortable. She actually slept through a Target shopping trip last week! And when I use it with the restaurant high chairs it helps to hold her upright a little better. The seat belt clips to the cart so you know dc is actually attached to the cart and not just the cover.

I just keep mine in the back of my SUV and park next to a cart return.

Linda

kharden
08-17-2005, 09:39 AM
I have another vote for sewcuteboutique. It attaches easily to the cart, and unlike the ones you buy in the stores, these cover the sides as well as front to back.

Stacie

Maria K
08-17-2005, 09:21 PM
How big are they when they're folded up?
- Maria

Emmas Mom
08-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Here's another vote for Cathy @ sew cute boutique! We LOVE ours as well. My DD just turned two & I still use it everywhere. Can't say how big it is folded up, I just know it fits easily into my car & is easy to tote around. I had a floppy seat from BRU but sold it after finding out about Cathy. If you don't see a fabric on her website that you like, you can buy your own fabric & send it to her, she discounts the price if you do that. She's so great to work with & can customize it more to your liking if you ask her. I did a lot of checking around before going with her (on the recommendations from this site) & do not regret it one bit! :)

supercalifragilous
08-22-2005, 03:05 AM
Costco carts are pretty huge and if you want decent padding for your little one, you can't expect it to fold up TOO compactly...

We regrettably don't have a SCB cover (didn't even know about her until too late), though Cathy has TONS of fans here @ BBB. The reason why I'm chiming in is b/c I did buy two of Cathy's seat belts and that alone would've sold me on buying a SCB.

The cover that I have has the two buttonholes in the cover where the seatbelt is threaded through the holes and you have to thread the seatbelt through the back of the cart and around your little one, then tighten. Threading the seatbelt is a pain to someone who goes to the store frequently. I actually stopped using mine once DD got older and stopped teething on the cart handle. But recently after buying Cathy's belts, we started using it again and it's SO NICE to be able to just clip it to the cart and snap the belt on. Which means no threading and no tightening!!! SO SIMPLE!!

She'll do custom covers too if you send her fabric. If you do a search you'll find tons of pics of cute customs she's done. I wish I had known about her earlier. I'd get one from her but I'm wanting a double for my next one and she doesn't do those (yet).

As for storage in the car, I don't even take the time to roll it up. After I get DD out and the grocery loaded, I just throw it in the back and take the cart to the corral. Once I get home I might roll it up neatly (that's when the seatbelt strap becomes the carrying handle if you do the rolll and tuck).

Maria K
08-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the info. Good to know about the belt. I think I'm going to ask for one... maybe in denim.
- Maria

meshell
08-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Ok...stupid mommy question of the day from a first-time mom...how old should DC be before they can ride in the shopping cart using one of these? DS is 4.5 months old and sits well with support. He does tend to lean forward, a little though. I notice that the SCB have pillows...would this help DS or should I just wait to purchase one until he's older?

TIA!