PDA

View Full Version : What to carry in a diaper bag?

jgriffin
08-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Ok, this seems like a really silly question, but as a mom to a 2-week old, I'm just a little clueless! :) We have 2 diaper bags from LandsEnd, the LittleTripper and the Do-It-All, and I'm not sure what to put in them.

So far we've used the smaller one for trips to the doctor, when we're only going to be out for an hour or so and will be doing only minimal diaper changes. For this I carry 3-4 diapers, a couple of onesies, a packet of wipes, and a small blanket (I am BFing, so no need for bottles). This has worked pretty well so far (although any advice about additional supplies would be welcome!)

It's the larger bag, for longer trips, that I'm more clueless about. Yes, I know I should carry more diapers, more outfits, and more wipes. But how many? Should I just stuff it full and see how it goes? How do I carry enough wipes? I am super worried about going somewhere and running out of some critical component. At the same time, I don't want to pack up the entire nursery everytime we go someplace.

TIA!

Jen

ellies mom
08-17-2005, 10:19 PM
First, I'm a light packer, so keep that in mind. If you are a heavier packer you may want more. Second, DD spit up all the time to that effects how much we packed,

We only had one bag which contained; 4-5 diapers, wipes in a case, 2 bibs, 2 cloth diapers, and 1-2 onsies or sleepers depending on the weather, a receiving blanket and small toy. We also have a small bag that contains desitin, sample baby powder, sample purell, and tylonal for both baby and parent. I really like the Huggies wipes holder, even though I use Costco wipes. It holds a ton of wipes and is easy to use one handed.

Once DD stopped spitting up on everything we dropped the cloth bibs and diapers, went to a single change of clothes and added books, toys and snacks.

I also keep a full thing of wipes and extra diapers in the car as well as a changing mat.

HTH and congratulations on the new baby. In a few weeks, you'll get it all down.

essnce629
08-18-2005, 03:06 AM
With a breastfeeding newborn, you don't really need to carry much--just the essentials. I breastfed exclusively and carried a super small bag until my son was old enough to need toys, a sippy cup, and finger foods to keep him occupied. All I ever carried was a few diapers and wipes, a change of clothes, my sling, and a water bottle and nursing pads for myself. My son never spit up so I didn't carry burp cloths, but he did start drooling a lot starting around 4 months so after that I always carried a second bib (for when the first one got too damp). I didn't start my diaper bag obsession until he was much older (probably around 8 months or so :)). Enjoy your light diaper bag now!

I also suggest having an emergency diaper bag in your car at all times. I have one in my trunk with extra diapers and wipes, a change of clothes (I don't carry clothes in my normal diaper bag any more), an empty sippy cup, a changing pad, a ziploc with a disposable bib, spoon, and fork, a receiving blanket, and plastic bags for dirty diapers. Many times I've stayed out later than planned and ran out of supplies in my regular diaper bag, but luckily all I have to do is go out to my car to "restock."

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif 23 months & counting! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

dhano923
08-18-2005, 03:18 AM
For the bigger bag, I'd say it depends on how long you will be out. I used to carry 5-6 diapers, a travel size box of wipes, a washcloth, 2 burpcloths, diaper rash cream, baby powder, hand sanitizer for me, diaper disposal bags for poopy diapers, 2 changes of clothing, a rattle or other small toy, my formula dispenser box, bottles (either filled with water or with the water bottle separate). I also used to keep my wallet and digital camera in the bag.

lindauer72101
08-18-2005, 10:07 AM
I am like most of you with my diaper bags. However, I must share an experience that I had that may change eveyone's way of thinking. My DD is 13 months and recently we went out to dinner with my family after another family function. My DD left the house freshly changed and happy. We just took our smaller diaper bag that always has at least a couple of diapers, wipes, a burp cloth or two and the changing pad. We also carry the link-rings and snacks.

While finishing up dinner my daughter had a BM. Of course, it wasn't one of those normal ones when we know she is having one (no red face etc.). She just had it and there was no smell or anything. When my SIL picked up my daugher I noticed a poop on her portable high chair. It was there, running down her leg and of course now on my SIL. We ran to the bathroom to change my DD and because we were 5 minutes from home and had already had a BM for the day, we didn't have a change of clothes. So, I get into the bathroom with my DD and SIL and we were stuck with a baby with poop everywhere and nothing to change into. Also, I might add that a little bit of her BM fell out of my DD's outfit on the way to the bathroom. My SIL accidently kicked it under another couple's seat.

So, we changed my now crying DD into a fresh diaper and just wrapped her up with a burp cloth to get her into the car. We then sent my brother back into the establishment to tell them that under a certain booth, they will find poop.

Needless to say the morale of this story is to always have a change of clothes and burp cloths with you.

Angela

Chelsie Lea 7/9/2004
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040709/3/0/1/+10/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

mommato2boys
08-18-2005, 04:40 PM
With a newborn, I carried everything, especially since at first you don't know what you will need or not need. I carry a lot anyways. I carry a blanket, a couple of onesies in the summer, and more clothes in the winter of course. Bibs, butt cream (just in case a bad BM) powder, diapers (at least 6-8), diaper wipes, small toys when they get older. I also carry fingernail clippers, infant tyenol, cream, and gas drops in a small zipped case for just in case. I carry the plastic bags for diapers. I carry extra binkies, just in case!!! I carry the babies shot card since I always have my diaper bag when I go to the doctor. I put $20 in my bag for emergencies. A couple of lollipops for those trips to Target and the toddler WILL NOT sit still!!!!! I try and pack what I need for a whole day out and about. I leave the house first thing in the morning and come home after dinner time normally so I need to be able to make it all day out!

saschalicks
08-18-2005, 05:27 PM
I have to say I'm on the heavier packing side so here's what is in my all day bag. I am saying what I carried when I had a newborn. Things are definitely different now. On top of that I was Bottle Feeding so I'll asterisk the things you won't carry.
-2-3 outfits, if pjs are needed for later I put those in addition to the outfits
-4-6 diapers
-travel wipes case (that was enough)
-a cosmetic bag with: purell, dirty diaper bags (blue roll up ones for picking up dog poop), travel desitin, travel baby lotion, travel sunscreen
-a smaller cosmetic (see through is preferable) bag with: band-aids, neosporin, infant tylenol (then ibuprofen later), teething stuff, baby's insurance card and any other medicines we might need. We called this *baby first aid*.
-*2-3 bottles
-*formula dispenser
-*water bottle for making formula
-blanket
-changing pad
-rattle of some sort(sometimes)
-1-2 burp cloths usually a cloth diaper

For short trips (I really didn't carry this little unless I really was gone for less then 2 hours) it was:
-1 outfit
-2-3 diapers
-travel wipes case
-changing pad
-burp cloth
-*bottle already made

I hope this helps!

jgriffin
08-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Wow, this has been a huge help! I imagine we'll start by taking everything and the kitchen sink with us and pare down from there. I hadn't thought of putting things like first-aid stuff in its own little bag...I guess even the baby needs his own toiletry kit. :)

Thanks!!!

KrisM
08-19-2005, 06:50 AM
Those are the same 2 bags I started with. I used the LT every day. I only used the DIA if we were going for an entire day or something, cause it's big!

I carried:
1 diaper/hour out + 1 extra
4 or 5 wet wipes (we use cloth)
a wet bag for dirties
1 outfit change
disposible changing pad
small bag with creams and first aid stuff

that's about it. I only carried the outfit until about 3 months. I never used it past 2 or 3 weeks. I carry it again if we're out at people's houses because he gets dirty playing now.

I also had a spare diaper and some dry wipes stashed in the car.

I could fit about 4 or 5 cloth diapers in the LT, so I only used the big bag for long day trips when I needed 7 diapers, pjs, blankets, etc.

jgriffin
08-19-2005, 12:34 PM
One diaper per hour out sounds like a good rule-of-thumb, although I swear sometimes we go through twice as many here at home! :)

daisysue62
08-20-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm a new mom too (I have a 3 week old dd) and am also breastfeeding. Here's what I've been carrying in my diaper bag:

4 or 5 diapers
Travel Size container of baby wipes
1 change of clothes for baby
1 large receiving blanket to cover up with when nursing
1 cloth diaper burp cloth
Sample size of Desitin
Extra shirt for me-since I'm breastfeeding I'm also leaking all over the place and have appreciated having a dry shirt to switch to if neccessary :)

ShaniB123
08-23-2005, 09:35 PM
In addition to some of the items people have mentioned, I also always carry at least one Huggies disposable changing pad and at least two pacifiers.

ShaniB123
08-23-2005, 09:35 PM
In addition to some of the items people have mentioned, I also always carry at least one Huggies disposable changing pad and at least two pacifiers.