PDA

View Full Version : How do I make my PPB boxy backpack boxy again?

ShaniB123
08-24-2005, 09:57 PM
PPB discontinued my favorite pattern (avocado roll), and because I decided I just couldn't live without one, I bought one on Ebay- new without tags. The bag arrived today, and although the fabric is beautiful, I think seller stored the bag poorly, because it has sort of lost its baggy shape. I've had another PPB for almost a year, and it is much boxier than this one is. Does anyone have any suggestions re how to make my avocado roll boxy backpack look boxy again?

Shani
Mom to Madeline Emma (10-9-04)

audball
08-24-2005, 10:38 PM
This is a *total* guess...but you could try Scotch-guarding the bag with towels rolled up in it - trying to get it into it's boxy shape. As a regular precaution, I Scotch-guarded my new PPB and I noticed that it became stiffer after the coating set (I did two coats). Maybe it would help add some stiffness - if nothing else, at least it will be protected!

ShaniB123
08-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Were there any negative effects from the scotch guarding? I'd been thinking about doing that but was concerned it might ruin the fabric.

Shani
Mom to Madeline Emma (10-9-04)

audball
08-25-2005, 12:21 AM
I haven't seen any so far - I haven't taken it out too much since the weather has been a little odd here. But there was certainly no discoloration that I could see...

saschalicks
08-25-2005, 12:18 PM
I know the owner of One Cool Chick www.onecoolchick.com recommends ironing her bags to bring back the stiffness. Since she uses high end silks as well I don't see why that wouldn't work on a PPB. I would definitely scotch guard like PP said.

supercalifragilous
08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
PPB and OCC (One Cool Chick) are made with the same fabrics. I got an OCC made with a discontinued PPB fabric so I know for *sure* they are the same. I have ScotchGuarded both of the bags with no problem. You have to make sure to let it dry thoroughly between coats or it will be sticky and will attract/show dirt & dust and the fabric will lose its luster.

I think the boxiness or stiffness of the bag is due to the stabilizer they use. You might want to give Caroline's (OCC) ironing trick a try with very low heat to spruce it up a bit. However, I dry-cleaned my PPB and it totally obliterated the stabilizer in my PPB and it is now just another floppy bag so avoid that. I think over time and repeated use it will naturally lose its stiffness though.