PDA

View Full Version : Skip Hop Dash or Expo

rebeccaravit
08-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks to the message boards I learned about the Skip Hop line of diaper bags and I am so excited to be getting one of my own. Just curious, it seems like most of you have the Dash. As a first time mom, I am always thinking about the longevity of the things that I pick out. I figure the Expo is more versatile for overnight trips since it opens on the sides to expand. Its also a bit more masculine for my hubby to carry around. What do you think? Do I really need the bigger inside capability or will a Dash suffice?

Thanks!!

mommato2boys
08-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Personally, I find the Dash a little to small for my use at this time. Others say that they can pack a lot in it.
I think that the expo is a lot bigger especially with the bottom expanded. Both can be manly, especially my loved camo print!;-)
I think the expo is the perfect bag since it can expand or not! Either way, you are covered!

tinainsala
08-29-2005, 03:20 PM
I've never had a Dash but I had an Expo. Something to consider- they are different shapes. I've heard the Dash is wider and shorter so it's easier to see items in the bag whereas the Expo is more vertical and things need to be layered or standing up. I loved the organization of the Expo, expansion feature, and stroller straps- plus it looked great on my stroller! I sold it because I prefer backpacks over messengers. Because the vertical shape is similar to a backpack, that worked for me. But it did take a little bit to get it packed well. HTH!
Tina

mommato2boys
08-29-2005, 05:49 PM
I totally agree, the key to the expo is learning how to pack, once you get the hang of it, I find the design nice, but I do think that some people don't like it....now if only they could make an expandable dash without velcro flap!!!!

Rach3975
09-01-2005, 11:01 PM
I'd say they're both great bags, and a lot of it comes down to preference. The vertical vs. horizontal style is a big difference, so you might want to try to figure out which you like better. I bought the Duo last year (like the Expo, but not expandable), and I never made use of all the space because I hated having to dig through the vertical compartment for things on the bottom. Some people aren't bothered by that at all. I've read that the Expo makes that problem even worse because the bottom of the compartment expands, but the top doesn't. That said, I do like the bag and all the pockets, but I have to pack the main compartment pretty lightly to avoid the digging. The Dash is smaller, but I'd probably fit the same amount in it, since even when filled you don't have to dig as much to find things.

Whether the Dash or Expo will last you longer may depend on how old your child is, whether you're a light or heavy packer, and whether you plan to have more children. By the time my son was 15 months old, I was carrying a lot less and found the Duo to be too big for everyday use. I plan to go back to it when our 2nd is born. If I'd had the Dash, I'd probably have used it longer.

coffeemom
09-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Just saw your post and wanted to add my thoughts :

We bought a red expo and have used it for several months. It is our first skip hop -- and it has proven to be our workhorse bag. Our ds is almost 1.

I like the option of expanding it -- gives you more bang for your buck.
Its masculine enough for dh.
It is neither too big or small -- minimalist yet functional.
Fits great on the back of our Zapp.
Love that it doesnt have a flap.

Hope that helps !

cheri

rebeccaravit
09-08-2005, 07:20 AM
All of your thoughts are exactly the reason why I bought it! I bought the charcoal Expo with the red piping to match my Metallica P3. Thanks for responding!