PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have 1 diaper bag, which would it be?

juliasmom05
08-31-2005, 07:55 AM
Before I start accumulating too many diaper bags (not a bad thing of course) I thought I could get some advice from you guys.

I currently have the LE little tripper (a great bag but too small at times), a LE backpack (wonderful for traveling, but too big for everyday use) and an EB bag (not a diaperbag, but works great for everyday), and am now looking for another one. Is there such a thing as a "perfect" diaper bag? Or are they like purses and shoes?, and you can never have too many of them.

So here's my question, if you could only have one diaper bag, which would it be?

TIA

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/12/05

audball
08-31-2005, 08:09 AM
I think lots of folks here would vote for either the Bumble Bag (Jessica style, backpack/messenger convertible) or the Fleurville Sling Tote. Both are stylish and functional, with lots of accomodating pockets for baby stuff and later, for mom stuff...For a functional, easy-care bag that you haven't mentioned, the Skip Hops offer a nice selection too (particularly the Duo or the more messenger-style Dash).

I wish I could tell you my opinion, but I switch my loyalties daily, so I'm not the gal to ask ;)! My faves are the Skip Hop (I love my denim Duo and just recently discovered the Dash), my Chester backpack (they will be bringing the backpack back, but currently they are only available on their sale page or on the babybags yahoo swap), and my Fleurville Alpha 7. I actually did a little experiment (in case I had to pare down) and these three were being used the most. But I admire all my bags for their particular function/style.

Truth is, it really depends on your style, the number of kiddos you have, how you like to wear bags (messenger style, backpack, shoulder, or tote), whether or not you want easy care over beauty, etc. I have discovered, that for all the talk I do about beautiful bags, I tend to gravitate to the functional, clean looks first.

Hopefully, others here will give you their $.02!

tobycat
08-31-2005, 08:09 AM
I currently have the Amy Coe skip hop knockoff and decided that I don't like the tall skinny shape. Also have a Lands End DIA, but only to keep in the trunk.

I would like to have an Oi Oi Hobo in black/green or denim. I like the shape and it seems like it would be a practical bag. Just can't rationalize $100 for it.

For me, it seems that the only way to find the "perfect" bag is to try out all the not so perfect bags.

Candice

mom2aidan
08-31-2005, 09:04 AM
The Dash has been my most-used bag so if I probably would only have one, it would be the Dash. I love that it has so many pockets to keep you organize and it's machine-washable which means you don't have to worry if you spill something on it. It's just the perfect bag for me!
I only have one child so it may change when I have a second one(hopefully in the near future).

tmrbwilson1998
08-31-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi, Marci! Wow - good question, though tough to answer!

When I only had 1, I used the LT and a Liz Claiborne tote the first year, then switched to a small Jack Wolfskin backpack. I tried the ST but did not like how heavy the bag was before I loaded it. I came upon the A7 my 2nd trimester with #2 and although a bit heavy before packed, I LOVE the organization and cuteness of it.

Now with a 2yo and a newborn, the LE backpack is my primary bag, or the A7 for quick trips or when I have just one baby with me. I tried the T&L large bebe but just did not use it - I think I am more of a backpack girl, and since I so love the A7, which is a backpack and messenger, I do not need another messenger.

I have had a DIA all along, and keep it in my car with extras.

Good Luck in your search - so much fun!
Tina

saschalicks
08-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Marci,
This is a loaded question as you know. I have loved many in the last 14 months. However, I have been loyal to my Chester backpack since I received it. I love this bag for so many reasons and my DH uses it exclusively (of course it being black also helps). It is wonderful for 1 child, but I can see where it will fall short when #2 arrives. I have bought and sold many a bag, but this one will be staying forever. My new goal is to find the Chester equivalent for two under two. Don't get me wrong I use others on a regular basis, but the Chester is the one that seems to be the great all around. If DH said I could only have one, and he would never say that b/c he knows my needs, it would be the Chester.

I should add that it is my only backpack style. I never thought I'd like that style, but I do. HTH!

tinainsala
08-31-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't think having only one diaper bag is possible. At a minimum I find I need at least two- one for everyday and one for traveling. As for the best one for you, it depends on your preferences- type of bag, closure, fit, etc.

I started off with a LE LT which I found to be too small and a LL Bean urban backpack (not a diaper bag) for travel. After experimenting with several bags of various types, I discovered that I prefer backpacks and totes.

For my everyday bag, I am also- like other posters- loyal to my Chester backpack. It's super lightweight and comfortable but not for everyone- it's a vertical bag with a black interior and not much in terms of pocket organization so some dislike it. Also, it's on the smallish side...although amazing what fits in there. I'm a medium packer and it works great for me. For my travel bag, I'm looking for something new at the moment.

That's been my bag experience so far...hope it helps.

love2stamp
08-31-2005, 12:38 PM
I got a couple of diaper bag from my shower and the one that I take with me everywhere is my Eddie Bauer diaper bag from Target. It's a backpack so I have my hands free. It has compartments, bottle/ sippy cup holders, changing pad and waterproof bag with zipper. It's not too big and not too small. I use my other diaper bag as emergency diaper bags in my car and grandma's house.

Karen

SarahK
08-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Fleurville Sling Tote!! I love, love, love it--and wish I hadn't "wasted" so much money on other bags. I'm about ready to sell my Mothership, that's how much I love the Sling Tote!

It would be too small for an airplane trip though...so maybe I should keep the Mothership.

essnce629
08-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Another vote for the Fleurville Sling Tote! I love mine and I use it every day (I traded my Mothership for it). It's so great since you can use it as a tote, messenger bag, or a stroller bag! For really long all day/weekend outings, however, I use my Lands End Large Tote (great organization with it's 9 pockets and 3 separate compartments!) Personally, I don't think you can have just one bag. I think most people have a bare minimum of 2 bags-- one for everyday use, and one for longer outings (the zoo, etc). That's been my experience.

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif 2 years & counting! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

connor_mommy
08-31-2005, 05:34 PM
I just got my Dash and I really like it. It has a lot of pockets and is the right size. I also have the Duo. The Duo is slimmer and doesn't stand up on it's own. But I like the pockets so that's why I got the Dash also. I just received and returned the Land's End Little Tripper. It was way to small. I can see myself using the Dash all the time.

Connor's Mom
2/29/04

juliasmom05
08-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks so much everyone !!

Until I posted this, I forgot I also have the DIA. It has been shoved in a closet because I didn't know what to do with it. Keeping it in the car sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

Now the fun begins. Shopping!!

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/12/05

carolines mommy
08-31-2005, 11:29 PM
I love, love, love both my ST and my A7. I don't think I could choose. I will use the black cord A7 as my fall/winter bag again this year because it is slightly bigger and will hold the bulkier cold weather clothes. I had a MS but sold it...didn't care for it at all. I find the ST is just a bit bigger than the LT (which I also have) so it works great for toting my 2 kidlets' stuff.

For travel I have an I'm Still Me So Big Bag. Worked great for our trip to Hawaii in June and my recent trip to Chicago (although I used the smaller ST as my "everyday" bag once I got there!) For our long weekend in Vegas, I packed up my ST and used that as my only diaper bag for my 2 girls the whole time we were there.

Hmmm, to choose only 1? I couldn't do it. Diaper bags are like purses, can never have too many!

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05