PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Cart Cover?

love2stamp
08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi,

DS is sitting up now and I was wondering if it is necessary to purchase a shopping cart cover so DS will not lick the shopping cart. I don't know if it is worth it to buy a shopping cart cover or just wipe the cart before putting DS in it everytime. Have you used a shopping cart cover? Which brand/ style do you prefer?

Thanks,
Karen

dblinton
08-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi,

I have the snazzybaby cover. My little girl likes the silky fabric, but it's good to know that i can use the warmer minky fuzzy side when the weather cools down. I use it at restaurants when we go out to eat too. I also got a free diaper with mine.
I really think you should get one. I don't think that just wiping it down is enough. First, do you really think you can wipe everywhere without forgetting a spot? Also, I don't if it is possible that the germs sort of stay on metal and plastic...how does that work? You should look into it more and then make a decision. I am sure you will get a lot of good advice from here too.

Good luck!
danielle

tmrbwilson1998
08-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi, Karen! To be quite honest, with DS I never used a cart cover. I cleaned everything before I put him in and after he came out of the cart. However, since we live overseas, there are no Targets and even the Wal-Marts here in Europe are not quite the same experience to warrant a shopping cart or that much time in one! My friend had an EZ Carry Floppy Seat ($39.99 from Amazon, if you want to see one). She uses it still, and her big guy is a brand new 2.

This Spring when I was pregnant with #2, I was directed by these boards to the Sew Cute Covers...I got a cutesy one for DD (who is only 4 weeks now, so we have nto used it yet, and #1 is too old to need one). Cathy is the owner of the covers and she is friendly, helpful, and quick-to-respond. You can choose pre-made ones or can even send her your own fabric like I did. I forget how much I paid, but it was not much more than $10 or so than the Floppy Seat and Sew Cute has a great attached pillow, is extra cushy, and has a place to attach toys. That said, it is a bit bulkier than most, but that only means it is extra cushy and makes a great nap spot, too!

There are many other covers out there and in many price ranges...good luck finding your perfect cover!

HTH!
Tina

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29135.jpg

love2stamp
09-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing the info and the showing me the picture, too. I think I will buy one for DS.

Karen

hudsonam
09-10-2005, 01:38 PM
We have one from www.kozypalcartcovers.com and love it. You can also use it on restaurant high chairs.

Emmas Mom
09-10-2005, 05:51 PM
I will 2nd the recommendation for Cathy at www.sewcuteboutique.com. She is so fabulous to work with & does great work. She's a WAHM & if you don't find a fabric you like (that she carries) you can ship her your own & she discounts the price. I've had mine since my DD was about 6-7 months & still use it to this day. We LOVE it! You'll find many Moms on this board have used her...that's how I found out about her in the first place. :)

suzhatch1
09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
You can also check out www.chubbyseats.com she makes custom cart covers as well, and they fold into themselves to create their own tote bag. I had 2 custom ones made, 1 in a brocade with cotton on the reverse & the other in a print cotton with solid cotton on the reverse. I think they came out wonderfully as well. She makes a coordinating pillow with the set and I think it was something like $30 or $35 for the cart cover.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29296.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29297.jpg

tarabenet
09-12-2005, 12:01 PM
My niece has never yet started that biting/sucking the handle thing that a lot of kids do (she's 13 months now). But still, somehow she managed to pick up rotavirus (spelling???). Doc said they are most likely to pick it up from shopping carts and restaurant high chairs, or it can run rampant through a daycare. She lost almost 5 of her 25 pounds due to a week-long bout of diarhea. Since she doesn't do daycare, she stays with me, we have to guess it was carts and high-chairs. You better believe I got much more careful about the cart cover thing, and so did her mom. I've made up a few in cotton, fleece, minkee and poodle, just for fun.

Others have posted some darling pics here! I'd encourage you to go with one of their suggestions or make your own -- if you sew they are very simple. I recently posted the basics in Crafts, and I'll be happy to talk you through any finer points if you decide to tackle one. (In all your spare time, right, mama? But just in case...)

Benet