PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Timbuk2 bags?

babycakes73
09-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Has anyone had any personal experience using a Timbuk2 bag as a diaper bag? I'm having my first in October and a friend pointed me to their website. I like the idea of being able to create my own and having something that my husband won't mind toting around, but obviously don't want to go to the expense if it's not useful.

If anyone has opinions from personal experience, I would love to hear.

Thanks!

crl
09-06-2005, 07:08 PM
I really like mine. I have the medium-size bag. I think that's bigger than most people get for a diaper bag, but I wanted to have room to spare. I've had it for about 6 months now and it still looks like new. It is very easy to clean--I just washed it with dish soap in the sink the one time it got really sticky from a juice spill.

Mine holds a lot: I got the middle divider and that's where I keep my changing pad (a small one that came w/ a different bag), 2 to 3 size 6 diapers, wipes in a ziplock and an empty ziplock (in case I need to get rid of a poopy diaper). In front of the divider, I keep my purse (a small organizer bag) w/ cell phone and sometimes a .6 liter water bottle for me. In back of the divider, I keep a change of clothes for DS, a book, baby einstein travel cards and a mini-Magna Doodle. I also keep a couple of kids granola bars and fruit leathers in the organizer section in the front. I use the outside zipper pocket for my keys. And I have plenty of room to stuff in a raincoat for DS or small purchases along the way.

The only downside to this bag for me is the lack of a bottle holder. This is a big bummer as DS won't use a sippy cup with a valve so I can't keep his drink in the bag (or it leaks everywhere). (I think they may have a tote that has a bottle holder, but it's not customizable--and not a messenger style of course.)

The bag is soft. The upside to this is that it is very comfortable for me to carry. The downside is that it does not really stand up on its own. That's okay with me, but I think that bothers some people.

Of course, I love that I got to choose my colors! I suggest getting the middle divider and the grap handle.

Sorry so long, hope it helps,

babycakes73
09-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Thanks so much for your response! Your input is very helpful. Thanks, too, for telling me what size you bought (I'd intended to ask that specifically in my first post but left it out). I was thinking of the medium and wondering if it would be the "right" size. Knowing what you tote around gives me a good idea of what it can hold.

I have to think a little bit more about the lack of a bottle holder (w/o real world experience, I don't know if this is something I will miss terribly or if I might be able to pick up some add-on somewhere else that might work). Otherwise, it sounds like this could really work out well.

Again, thanks for your input!

ckleist
09-06-2005, 09:27 PM
My dh has the large that he uses for a gym bag, it is very big, he got me a medium, but I really dislike the messenger flaps and the velcro is very noisy on these bags. My ds has the mini metro and it is a great toddler size bag (found it at sierra trading post for half price). I have the cargo tote in large, but I think it is about the same size or a tad larger than the medium messenger. It is really too big to carry around as a diaper bag, I use it as an all day bag for my 28 month and 10 month old sons when we spend the day at grandmas. The bags are very well made and can be machine washed and drip dried. I washed my son's, and it turned out fine. Personally, I don't like the lack of organization in the bags, especially the cargo tote (it does have 1 interior bottle holder) because I prefer to put my stuff in a separate pocket than my kids, and the slip pocket just doesn't work well for me. I had gotten the small, medium, and large to see what size I wanted in the cargo tote (if you order from ebags, return shipping is free). The small was too small, the medium probably would have been a decent size for 1 baby, but I was looking for a big, all day bag.

I've looked at / tried lots of bags, and right now what works well for me is a LeSportSac deluxe messenger. I found a retired print on ebay and got it for less than half price. The only thing I wish it had were bottle holders on the sides rather than the zip pockets. With the bottle holders, it would be a terrific diaper bag (it is machine wash drip dry as well). It has a large main zip compartment, zip pockets in the front and back, a velcro pocket, a messenger flap that underneath has 2 cargo pockets perfect for holder diapers and a wipe container, and another velcro pocket under the flap that is perfect for changing pad and other diaper changing stuff. I like having this stuff easily accessible and separate from the other baby stuff (change of clothes, toys, etc). For some reason, I can't post pics here, but if you belong to the yahoo diaperbag group I have pics posted under the files section in a folder call LeSportSac.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7852_5205.html

Smiles81
09-10-2005, 11:05 PM
I use a timbuk2 small, and I really like it. I also have a meduim but IMO it is way to large for everyday - we use if for travel. In the small I can fit diapers, wipes, a small blanket, change of clothes, snacks, a drink, a toy, and all my stuff (wallet, phone etc.). Its a great bag. I don't have the center divider, though I would like one, so I will hopefully order a custom one soon.
HTH
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

wesleysmom
09-15-2005, 03:34 AM
Have you looked at Overland Equipment or Ful Union Messenger Bags also? The reason I'm asking is that they seem to have better organization than the timbuk2s, although I don't know how water resistant the interior is. I just got the Overland Equipment Skyscraper and the Trinidad from Shoebuy.com (with fatwallet.com and coupons I found on the Internet, I got them for much cheaper than MSRP) and am trying to decide which one to keep as a diaper bag (free return shipping too). Both have built in bottle pockets but the Trinidad just has mesh on the sides. I can email pics later if you want. The Ful Union Messenger Bag is about the same size as the Skyscraper, but I haven't seen it in real life. But I like the organization, especially how the outside flap doesn't go all the way down, so the outside pockets are easy to get to and it's cheaper than the Overland Equipmnent bags. So I might order one just to compare and see if I like it better.
HTH

wesleysmom
09-15-2005, 03:34 AM
Have you looked at Overland Equipment or Ful Union Messenger Bags also? The reason I'm asking is that they seem to have better organization than the timbuk2s, although I don't know how water resistant the interior is. I just got the Overland Equipment Skyscraper and the Trinidad from Shoebuy.com (with fatwallet.com and coupons I found on the Internet, I got them for much cheaper than MSRP) and am trying to decide which one to keep as a diaper bag (free return shipping too). Both have built in bottle pockets but the Trinidad just has mesh on the sides. I can email pics later if you want. The Ful Union Messenger Bag is about the same size as the Skyscraper, but I haven't seen it in real life. But I like the organization, especially how the outside flap doesn't go all the way down, so the outside pockets are easy to get to and it's cheaper than the Overland Equipmnent bags. So I might order one just to compare and see if I like it better.
HTH

babycakes73
09-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the information! As my due date is quickly approaching, and I'm trying to get all loose ends tied, I actually purchased one of the Timbuks. Still, I will take a look at the two you suggested; there are bound to be additional purchases in my future.

Thx!

babycakes73
09-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Your input was helpful. I ordered a small bag and am so happy that I did - the medium would have been WAY too large. Thanks!

Smiles81
09-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Great! I hope you like it.

Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

kboyle
09-18-2005, 12:05 AM
I am looking into getting a sm Timbuk2 but had some Qs about them.

Should I get a middle divider, or is the sm fine w/o one?

Are there any interior pockets?

Are those of you that have them using it for an everyday dipe bag?

With all the kid's stuff is ther room for a wallet, keys, etc?

Sorry for all the Q, but I've got a million diape bags and hate them all.

Smiles81
09-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi,
I'll try to answer your questions:
1. I don't have a middle divider, b/c I got mine for a great deal. There are some great deals on REI right now. I would like one, but then the bag costs $80 vs. the $40 you can get if for on REI.
2.There is a front zipper pocket that runs the lenght of the inside of the bag. I put all my stuff in their, wallet, phone, makeup, etc. Another option is to put the diapering supplies in there.
3. I used it everyday for around six months. Sometimes I go back to it, but right now I am using something else. I get bored and have to switch often.
4. Yes, I put my wallet and keys in it.

The bag is a good size, and I really like it b/c of the front pocket that keeps my stuff separate from the babies. I just wish it had a bottle pocket.

HTH
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

kboyle
09-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks,

I checked out the rei sales last week and they still had some normal color combos, just need to decide if I really need another bag :)

I think I might go for it!

swampnurse
09-21-2005, 04:11 PM
I use the mini-metro as a toddler bag/purse. it's a great size for carrying my wallet, phone, two diapers and a small pack of wipes and maybe a few snacks for Max who is 13 months old. For all day trips i still pull out my Fleurville MS.

bubbaray
09-21-2005, 11:01 PM
I have a T2 Metro, T2 Small Messenger and T2 Medium Messenger. I thought I would really like them for diaper bags, but have "moved on". I prefer having more pockets. I also just can't seem to get the strap comfortable for me, even though I have the strap pad.

I have the center divider in the small and its OK. I only ever used it for diapers, but now I keep my diapers and wipes and disposable change pad in a zippered bag that goes from diaper bag to diaper bag (kinda like an escape pod, but smaller, not as small as a Diapees & Wipes, though).

I really WANTED the T2s to work for me, but that dang strap on the Medium and Small just bugs me. Plus, the medium is HUGE. The Metro, OTOH worked when DD was a newborn, but is just a bit small now that she's a toddler.

I have to say that I prefer my LE LT(s).

Having said all that, they are well made bags and do have a use post-diaper bag days. The Medium would work well as a gym bag.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]