PDA

View Full Version : Chester or Little Tripper?

melbb
09-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Okay. So I want to have one Diaper bag for when DD is born. I was thinking of starting with the LE little tripper and then see if I think I need something bigger after a while. But then I saw the Chester classic bags on sale and with the free shipping and 20% off, am very tempted. However, I would hate to buy it (spend the money) and then decide it is too small. It seems just a little bigger than the LT. I noticed in other posts that some people say LT is perfect, others say it is too small and only good for short, 2 hour trips. Any advice? Also, I have no other children, so I would just be packing for one, and I plan to breastfeed, so no bottles.

jenfed1
09-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Personally I think a LT is small...I don't have a Chester bag to compare, but the LT is definitely on the small side. But I am a big packer, so I wouldn't be able to fit everything I want in an LT for a newborn.

tinainsala
09-07-2005, 08:34 PM
I had the same experience as the previous poster. I found the LT to be too small for a newborn but I'm a medium packer. I don't have any experience with the Chester classic but I have a Chester backpack and it's perfect for me. I would guess that the Chester classic is much bigger than the LT...more of a medium size bag. The material of the backpack is a lightweight nylon that is stuffable/ expandable (assuming it's the same material used). I find the Chester to hold an amazing amount for its size while maintaining its shape.
Hope that helps!
Tina

Momof3Labs
09-07-2005, 09:40 PM
I used a bag a little smaller than the LT for DS when he was a newborn (also bf'd) and found it fine for shorter trips. If we were out all day, we'd back a different bag with extras. I really like the adjustable strap on the LT - you can easily hang it over a stroller handle; not sure that the Chester classic can do that.

samiam
09-07-2005, 09:53 PM
I think the LT will be too small for your needs with a newborn. I love it as my daily bag with my 2 year old, but back in the infant days it wouldn't have accomodated the burp clothes, change of clothing, blanket, etc.

melbb
09-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Hmmmm. Well the Chester classic is about the same width and height as the LT, but is 1 1/4 inches deeper. I don't think that makes a significant difference. So it sounds like I might be better off with something like a SkipHop (Expo maybe?) or on the cheaper end, the LL Bean large travel touring bag?

bubbaray
09-07-2005, 11:59 PM
I used the LE LT when DD was a newborn and it worked fine (I BF'd for a year, DD never did take bottles but thankfully did take a sippy at about 10m). If you BF, you can use the end "bottle" pockets for things like sunglasses, cell phone, even a rolled up receiving blanket. It is a very versatile bag. I didn't use it for a few months when DD started eating baby food, but once she hit the toddler stage, I am back using it again. I love my LT and even ordered a 2nd one in a different color. I even have had "non-baby" friends comment that it would make a great casual purse (especially for the gym, as you can put an adult water bottle in the pockets).

I will admit that when I go out with DD now (she's nearly 17m), I do sometimes take a separate small bag with a couple of freezer packs, 2 sippies, cheese, and other snacks. But, that is just me being nutty about keeping her milk/cheese/water cold. Really, I can fit all her stuff for about half a day in the LE LT at this stage. I say go for it -- its only $19 and even if it ends up not working for you now, you'll definitely be able to use it when your DD is older.

HTH
Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

kimbe
09-08-2005, 08:56 AM
I have the LT and it works fine for our 2 month old. I am a light packer and I wanted a smaller bag (and something that didn't look quite like a diaper bag.) I use it for day to day things, but it doesn't work for overnights and I don't think that it would work for a day trip. (I would pack up the DIA though and just leave it in the car if we were out somewhere all day.) I am BFing so I don't carry bottles, but here is what I pack.

5-6 disposable diapers
1 pk travel wipes
2 burp cloths
1 hand towel (for extra diaper changing insurance)
1 change of clothes (usually a sleeper, onesie, and socks)
1 sun hat
1 hat for if it is chilly
1 receiving blanket
1 toy and a handfull of link-a-doos
wallet, cell phone, keys etc

I am very happy with it and DH doesn't mind carrying it. We got the all black one.

HTH

saschalicks
09-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Chester, Chester, Chester. It fits more then you think and the bag is so lightweight.

melbb
09-08-2005, 06:51 PM
This is too difficult! The sizes seem reasonable, but then I decided to measure my purse and it is almost as big as the little tripper! Now, I don't need to carry half of what I have in my purse, so I will adjust when the baby comes. But I think maybe I might be better off waiting until after she is born before I make a purchase. Don't hospitals give you a diaper bag? Has anyone seen the Kecci MommyBag Venetian? Looks like they are new. Kind of cute and not too expensive (although I saw one place selling them for $30 and another $100). So many choices...

KrisM
09-08-2005, 08:16 PM
I started with a LT and moved to a Chester Classic at 9 months. The LT was fine for a newborn, without bottles. We use cloth diapers and I could take 3 or 4, an outfit, wipes, a wet bag, and misc. stuff in the LT. It got small when I had to bring snacks, books, toys, etc. The Chester Classic is a nice size, I think. It's a bit big, but not bad.

The LT hangs nicely on a stroller. The Chester doesn't really hang well.

Rach3975
09-08-2005, 10:49 PM
If you're looking for something inexpensive to start out with, I'd recommend the LL Bean Large Travel Touring Bag. It's big enough for newborn essentials, but small enough that you'll still be able to use it after the newborn days.

Although I love my LE Little Tripper now that DS is a toddler, I would have found it way too small at the newborn stage. I breastfed and never carried bottles, but with a fall/winter baby, I think it's a little harder to get away with a tiny bag. The clothes are bulkier, and I needed to carry a fleece receiving blanket (for warmth and putting down on the floor when we visited friends).

As for the hospital diaper bag, they give you one, but the usefulness can vary greatly. I got an awful blue and yellow one with no pockets inside. That said, you can definitely use a backpack or tote bag that you already have while you figure out what you really need. Ziplock bags can substitute for pockets if your existing bags don't have big ones that can fit diapers, etc. One piece of advice--when you do buy something, keep in mind that what you carry over the first year can vary greatly. I found that I carried a lot during the first few months, then was able to cut back. Once DS was 8 or 10 months old and eating more baby food, I went back to needing to carry more. Good luck with everything!

melbb
09-08-2005, 11:23 PM
The travel touring bag seems like a reasonable choice. The only thing is, it isn't really a diaper bag, so there is no changing pad. Where do you buy a folding changing pad? It adds to the cost, too.

Mikesa3
09-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I always used a baby receiving blanket for changes. You could buy the disposal changing pads.They take up less room.Or go ahead and get the Lil Tripper and the Touring bag and use the pad from the Lil Tripper when you take the Touring bag. I think you'd get a lot of use out of both bags.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

Rach3975
09-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Most of the major baby stores (Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby) carry fold up changing pads. LL Bean used to sell a version of the Large Travel Touring Bag that included a changing pad, but they seem to have discontinued it. As for the added expense of buying a changing pad, you'd face that sooner or later with most bags. Most of the diaper bags I've had include small changing pads that your baby will get too big for well before they're out of diapers.

jgriffin
09-12-2005, 02:35 PM
>. Don't hospitals give you a diaper
>bag?

Ours was supposed to, with goodies inside, but they were out that week. Instead they gave us a totebag and a few packs of diapers. We had also gotten a card from one of the formula companies for a free diaper bag at the hospital, but when I checked it was at "participating hospitals" only, and of course ours wasn't participating. :(

I have the LT and DIA bags from LE. The LT bag is good for shorter trips (a few hours), but DS is only 6 weeks old, so his diapers and clothes are still pretty tiny, and I don't carry any toys with us.

Jen