PDA

View Full Version : Need ANOTHER diaper bag...recommendations, please!

skipperlou
09-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Hello all. Thanks to all the recommendations here, I bought a SkipHop Duo at the beginning of the year for use with my preschool DS and newborn DD.

Now, we have #3 on the way, due early February, and I know I'm going to need something bigger than the Duo. I was a little disappointed with the Duo, in that when the top pockets are full, it is hard to reach things in the center section. Otherwise, I love the organization.

What are your recommendations for an almost 5 year old (still in preschool this year 3 days a week), who I will need to carry snacks and a juice cup for, a 1 1/2 year old and a newborn? Two sets of diapers, bottles, spitup cloth, sippy cup, a toy or two, etc....... I don't want to carry around a monster bag either! Smaller than a DIA but bigger than the Duo. What do you ladies think? Any help would be appreciated. I know you gals KNOW your diaper bags and will set me on the right path!

TIA!
Lara

audball
09-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Smaller than a DIA but larger than a Duo is quite a challenge! Especially since you will have a newborn on the way. Would it be possible for your 5 y.o. to carry a small backpack on his/her own? Target makes some really cute ones and for a pricer but still cute option there are backpacks by Stephen Joseph and Little Packrats too (www.littlepackrats.com or ebags.com).

As far as bigger bags, I have two (1.5 y.o. and 3 y.o. also attending preschool 1/2 days,3 days of the week) and I really like the Skip Hop Dash. It's an easier configuration to deal with snack cups and the like and really easy to fold blanket in, etc. My 1.5 y.o. has severe food allergies and I have to carry a full bottle of Benedryl and 2 epi pens at all times. I also have to carry most of his snacks, since the standard snack fare for kids has either dairy or contains nuts or eggs. The Dash has worked well for us and I just kick myself for not getting it sooner. That being said, we carry extra clothes and dipes in the car (3 y.o is so close to being fully potty-trained!), so it frees some space.

Other options that are roomier bags (but not bulky like the DIA, which I find very cumbersome to carry), the Posh Baby bag (the Ultimate is the convertible backpack/messenger), the Bumble Bag (Jessica style), or the Petunia Picklebottom Shoulder Bag may be good options for you (the PPB may not be that practical with a newborn!). Also, the Timi and Leslie backpack is very large but comfy on the back.

Good luck and congrats!

heatherlynn
09-11-2005, 06:28 AM
I have a 7yo, and DS will be 15 months when DD#2 is born. My 7yo still needs snacks, drinks, etc at times. I plan to use the LL Bean large touring bag. The organization is very good. It's not a "pretty" bag, but I love all the pockets. I can find things very quickly, which is important to me. I had a Dash, but it just didn't work for me.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

audball
09-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Heather is right! I can't believe I forgot the Touring Bag from LLBean. I saw one IRL at the children's museum the other day and it looked really sharp - and no problem accomodating what you would need to put in there. This mom had an infant (really tiny!) and a toddler and she could also fit her 35mm camera and equipment in there!

asmith130
09-12-2005, 12:21 PM
My dds are 17mo and 3mo, so I just went thru this (minus the 5 year old). I eventually decided upon the Lands End backpack so my hands could be free to hold hands, etc. I thought I needed a big bag to carry everything - 2 sets of diapers, etc. plus in a few months the baby food and extra clothes for potty training. It has 3 different larger compartments - one for dd1, one for dd2 and one for my stuff (you could use it for your oldest) then a smaller compartment for cell phone, etc and 2 bottle pockets on the outside. It's great for organization!

It's not the most attractive bag but it's where I am in my girls' lives right now! Have fun shopping!

Amy

csa12
09-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Lara -
Can i hijack your thread and ask you whether you'd recommend a duo for a toddler who is in preschool and a newborn? DS#1 will be 3 in January and is in school 3 days a week. He is also in sposies so all I need are an extra dipe, snack and sippy. I have a newborn coming next month and plan to cloth diaper and breastfeed her. Could you fit all you need in the duo? I am a light packer and when DS was an infant I often forgot to bring diapers-hahha. Often we are close to home so there I tend to pack light.
Thanks for any info you can share,
Cheryl

skipperlou
09-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Cheryl,

I was ok with the Dou for two. Other than the fact that the inside can get hard to reach if you fill the top zippered pockets, it was fine (i had my wallet, a barrel case with Mommy stuff and tissues in one and cars, crayons, small notepad for coloring, and paci in the other).

In the two inside pockets, I have wetwipes, disposable placemats and bibs, snacktrap lid and formula sticks. Center section contains snacks, one sippy cup, snack trap, (used to carry foldable potty seat, but not for a while), and misc toys we are bringing. One outside front pocket holds diapers, other holds spitup cloth and extra drool bib (plus coupons if I'm shopping). Outside back pocket holds included changing pad, wipes case and spare disposable changing pad. Cell phone pocket for cell phone. Second sippy cup in mesh pocket.

As you can see, I am not a light packer. I keep a small tub in the car with spare diapers and change of clothes for both kids. With #3 on the way, I want easier access to inside. I loved being able to attach the diaper bag to stroller, but rarely did since DD couldn't recline if I did or it was in DS's way if he was using the Buggy Board. I mostly attached it to grocery carts when I was shopping, so i had everthing right in front of me.

HTH!
Lara