PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have pics of a Skip Hop Duo packed to the gills?

csa12
09-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Well maybe not packed that full, but at least packed to somewhat near capacity?

This bag has grown on me the past few days and I am debating on whether I can use it for two. Ds#1 is in preschool 3 days a week and he is in sposies so I only need a dipe, snack, and sippy for him when he is with me. I am expecting a DD next month and hopefully she will be breastfed and cloth diapered so for her I plan to pack:

a diaper cover
prefold
outfit
burp cloth
wipes

Wondering what all this will look like in the Duo.

Thanks,
Cheryl

DeborahM
09-14-2005, 09:05 PM
I don't have a picture, but I thought that the Duo wasn't enough for 2 kids. You'd have to really be packing light. If you have stuff in the upper zippered compartments it makes it hard to get at the stuff at the bottom of the bag. If you're only packing 1 sippy cup and a small snack-size ziplog bag for your son you might be able to use this and be OK. I'm not an over-packer, but I'm definitely not a light packer.

I prefer the Expo b/c of the zippered bottom - I don't seem to have a problem getting at the things in the bag w/ this one. I have a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. I usually carry 4-5 diapers (fill each pocket), wipes case, extra outfits (2 tshirts, 1 bottom), cosmetic case (filled) w/ tylenol, hand lotion, etc., 1-2 small toys (cars, rattle). In the upper compartments I put my wallet & keys. I use the big outside pocket for my cell phone. I stand the sippy cups on the inside on top of everything else - or usually take an extra small bag w/ them and snacks (lucky me - my kids demand 2 sippy cups each!).

Deborah

Rach3975
09-14-2005, 10:13 PM
If the things you listed above are most of what you'll carry, I think you'd be fine with the Duo. I don't have a picture of it packed like that, but I can tell you that I don't think it works well stuffed. Because of the vertical design, it becomes very hard to get to things on the bottom when the bag is stuffed. In addition, the bag won't close when it's packed full to the top. It isn't that you can't fit a lot in, but I find I have to put most of what I'm carrying in the pockets and smaller compartments, leaving a lot of the main compartment empty.

I tested it recently to see how I'd organize it for 2, since I'll have a 2 1/2 year old son and a newborn in the spring. This is what I fit in it:

Outside front pockets--1 toy for each child in one, Snack Trap in the other
Sippy in bottle pocket, cell phone in cell pocket
Small zip compartment--small wallet, PDA, keys, bandaids
Large zip compartment--newborn outfit, extra room that might fit a thin receiving blanket or sweater
Pockets in the main compartment--Diapering supplies for DS in one (3 disposables, wipes case, and disposable changing pad), disposable diapers for baby #2 and extra room in the other. (Could also hold a burp cloth.)
Main compartment--food and a juice box for DS, but mostly empty.
Back slash pocket (comes with a changing pad in here)--empty for now, but I'd probably carry a padded changing pad for the newborn. Even with the included changing pad, there should be room to put in a couple of disposable diapers or a thin receiving blanket.

When the kids are older, you can put a 2nd sippy cup in the front external pockets, if needed. I looked at the Expo, but I remember there being fewer outside pockets to make room for the expanding zipper. Since cell and sippy on the outside are must haves for me, the Duo worked better.

Rach3975
09-14-2005, 10:13 PM
If the things you listed above are most of what you'll carry, I think you'd be fine with the Duo. I don't have a picture of it packed like that, but I can tell you that I don't think it works well stuffed. Because of the vertical design, it becomes very hard to get to things on the bottom when the bag is stuffed. In addition, the bag won't close when it's packed full to the top. It isn't that you can't fit a lot in, but I find I have to put most of what I'm carrying in the pockets and smaller compartments, leaving a lot of the main compartment empty.

I tested it recently to see how I'd organize it for 2, since I'll have a 2 1/2 year old son and a newborn in the spring. This is what I fit in it:

Outside front pockets--1 toy for each child in one, Snack Trap in the other
Sippy in bottle pocket, cell phone in cell pocket
Small zip compartment--small wallet, PDA, keys, bandaids
Large zip compartment--newborn outfit, extra room that might fit a thin receiving blanket or sweater
Pockets in the main compartment--Diapering supplies for DS in one (3 disposables, wipes case, and disposable changing pad), disposable diapers for baby #2 and extra room in the other. (Could also hold a burp cloth.)
Main compartment--food and a juice box for DS, but mostly empty.
Back slash pocket (comes with a changing pad in here)--empty for now, but I'd probably carry a padded changing pad for the newborn. Even with the included changing pad, there should be room to put in a couple of disposable diapers or a thin receiving blanket.

When the kids are older, you can put a 2nd sippy cup in the front external pockets, if needed. I looked at the Expo, but I remember there being fewer outside pockets to make room for the expanding zipper. Since cell and sippy on the outside are must haves for me, the Duo worked better.

csa12
09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Wow! Thanks for the detailed configurations - really helped me picture whether I can swing this or not. I think with the current discount on Browns on fifth, at least trying a Duo could be worth it. It's funny I have been driving myself crazy over a diaper bag and am thinking that I could either get away with a duo or go whole hog with one of the new motherships!!!

That was a good point you raised about the Duo not working well stuffed. I saw one in real life and I can see how space could be underutilized.

Thanks again,
Cheryl

csa12
09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Wow! Thanks for the detailed configurations - really helped me picture whether I can swing this or not. I think with the current discount on Browns on fifth, at least trying a Duo could be worth it. It's funny I have been driving myself crazy over a diaper bag and am thinking that I could either get away with a duo or go whole hog with one of the new motherships!!!

That was a good point you raised about the Duo not working well stuffed. I saw one in real life and I can see how space could be underutilized.

Thanks again,
Cheryl