PDA

View Full Version : Diaper bag for $50 or less-- what would you get?

Rachels
09-14-2005, 09:17 AM
I had the LE Little Tripper with Abigail, and it's just too big and boxy to really be practical now. I've been using the Healthy Back Bag (and loving it) since she was a year old, but now with another baby coming, I need more of a standard diaper bag. I've discovered that the older babies get, the smaller diaper bags get, so I don't want to spend a total fortune. I hate backpacks and want something that can either tuck into a stroller basket or hang off the back. I need to hold the usual assortment of dipes, changing pads, extra clothes (for both kids, I guess), etc. I breastfeed, so I don't need bottle compartments. What's good? It has been so long since I even looked.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

ellies mom
09-14-2005, 10:50 AM
The SkipHop Duo is about $50. We have it and I really like it since it hangs off the stroller. Although, I'd have considered spending a little more and got the Dash if that had been out when I got the Duo.

cartersmom
09-14-2005, 03:41 PM
We have a couple that we use that work well either hanging on the stroller or stuffed underneath. The one I like the best is from Periwinkle Baby and is a great cloth tote bag. We also have a skip hop that my husband uses which he likes, but really doesn't work well for me.

sophiesmom
09-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Target has real pretty bag. It's burgundy, silky looking w/ that asian type style. The organization looks great. It even has a changing pad that is attached to the bag and unzips to fold out w/ pockets too. Side pockets for bottles, lots of inside pockets and roomy too. The only thing keeping me from getting it is the handles are not long enough to hang over my stroller. :-( It's only 24.99.

A lot of people like the LL Bean Touring Bag.

BRU also a big selection, a lot of knock offs (skip hop, kecci).

HTH!

cchavez
09-14-2005, 08:26 PM
I am considering the LLBEAN touring bag....you might want to check it out. hth

Rach3975
09-14-2005, 09:50 PM
In the spring I'll have a newborn and a 2 1/2 year old, so I've just started keeping my eye open for bags again. It sounds like you're a light packer, so the Skip Hop Duo might work well for you. The Dash and Expo are newer and also nice, but both are a little bigger than the Duo. I think all 3 of the Skip Hops are around $50 or $60. I plan to start with the Duo I already own, but if that turns out to be too small for me, I'm going to buy the LL Bean Large Travel Touring Bag. I think it's still around $30. It's a very well organized bag (better than the Duo, in my opinion), but it might be too big or boxy for you.

All the bags I mentioned can be worn messenger style or over the shoulder. The Skip Hops have a special system for attaching to strollers. You detach the shoulder strap and pull out two short straps from inside the bag. Those straps go over your stroller handles and then clip to the bag. Hard to picture, but the Skip Hop website has more info about it.

Rach3975
09-14-2005, 09:50 PM
In the spring I'll have a newborn and a 2 1/2 year old, so I've just started keeping my eye open for bags again. It sounds like you're a light packer, so the Skip Hop Duo might work well for you. The Dash and Expo are newer and also nice, but both are a little bigger than the Duo. I think all 3 of the Skip Hops are around $50 or $60. I plan to start with the Duo I already own, but if that turns out to be too small for me, I'm going to buy the LL Bean Large Travel Touring Bag. I think it's still around $30. It's a very well organized bag (better than the Duo, in my opinion), but it might be too big or boxy for you.

All the bags I mentioned can be worn messenger style or over the shoulder. The Skip Hops have a special system for attaching to strollers. You detach the shoulder strap and pull out two short straps from inside the bag. Those straps go over your stroller handles and then clip to the bag. Hard to picture, but the Skip Hop website has more info about it.

squimp
09-16-2005, 11:08 PM
I'd get a Skip Hop Dash, and you can find them for near that price on swap. It's got a great shape, not tall and skinny like the Duo, but wide and accessible. Rides well on the back of the stroller.

Although your thinking that the LT is too big has me a little stumped, because I consider it pretty small. But maybe I'm thinking of the later version, which is a little more streamlined.

Rachels
09-17-2005, 07:13 PM
The LE one that I got was in early 2002, and it really is pretty wide and boxy. The current one looks a lot nicer. The one I have is more like a carry-on bag than a diaper bag.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

tigeratty
09-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Kecci, hands down. You can get one under $50 on ebay, on the baby bags coop on Yahoo groups (one for sale right now for I think $35 shipped) or for $30 plus shipping on diaperfabricscoop group on Yahoo.

It's great looking (the brocade style), has a ton of room, pockets inside and a waterproof interior.

I have a skip hop, and I don't like the velcro on it, or the dash. I am always snagging things on that velcro. My duo is small. The dash doesn't seem much bigger. V. I have always fit everything I needed, even for a whole day, into my Kecci and I am not a light packer.