PDA

View Full Version : REI Mini vs. Sherpani Capri -- my comparison review

MarisaSF
09-15-2005, 01:23 PM
A few weeks back, I asked about sling-type bags. You were so helpful. I got two and here's my review.

The bags.
REI Mini in yellow/gray ($20 on sale, $40 regular): http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47686990&parent_category_rn=4501698&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Sherpani Capri in mango ($60 minus 10% off code): http://sherpani.us/ProductDetail.cfm?Catalog=128&ID=114

Both hold what I need 'em to: wallet, palm pilot, cell phone, pen, tic tacs, keys, 2 dispo diapers, travel wipes, magazine/book, snacks/drinks for me and Jazz. I like the idea of a sling bag to go over the opposite shoulder from the one on which Jazz sit in her sling. I'll mainly be using it for grocery shopping/errands, in the car, playgrounds.

REI Mini
Pros: Less expensive, 4 zipper pockets which open ALL the way, can switch strap to go over either shoulder, 3 loops for carabiners/keys/etc on front strap, zippers open very smoothly.
Cons: My cell phone (samsung flip-type) gets stuck in too-tight pocket on strap, Removable pen/wallet organizer is pretty ridiculous, no water bottle holder. It's practical, but not really "cute," though IMO the yellow is attractive.

Sherpani Capri
Pros: Better features on paper. Outside water bottle holder, cell phone holder I can actually use as phone would not get stuck inside it. Fun colors. Waist strap. Back part is treated with some anti-bacterial meshy material that is purported to keep you cool and the bag clean. The inside pen/stuff organizer is better than REI's, but I still probably wouldn't use it.
Cons: Well, you were right... the material is not my fave... stiffer than I like. The zippers do not seem good quality and more "sticky" to open (perhaps because they are plastic while the Mini's are metal). The zippers go from the top-middle to the bottom of one side, so the pockets only open halfway and on one side (if that makes sense). Can only wear on one side (which is the side I wanted, but wouldn't work for everyone). Only two zippered pockets, but it has a front lash-strap (which I'd never use anyway).

Sooo... after all of that, I am going with the REI Mini. It's not the perfect bag, but it won this comparison test. I'm sad that the Sherpani didn't work out because I was really interested in the success of the company. I'm still interested in their child carrier packs, but will need to see it IRL before I buy.

I took a side-by-side pic, which isn't too revealing and it's a pain to post from this computer. They are almost exactly the same size though. Hope that helps someone!

audball
09-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks for being the guinea pig, Marisa ;)! I'm sorry that you were disappointed in the Sherpani. I had such high hopes for it because I love their color combos. But I'm glad the REI Mini is working out for you.

If you ever decide you need a sling pack for the opposite shoulder, revisit the Overland. I'm really happy with the quality of the bag (I hate stuck zippers!) and although it took getting used to, the size for me was just right...I would love to try the larger size, but DH would probably have a cow when he saw two very similar bags side by side! :) (Well, who am I kidding - he has a cow about the bags I have now, anyway.)

MarisaSF
09-15-2005, 10:19 PM
You know, it's funny that both DH and FIL commented on how they liked the REI bag (without me fishing for compliments!). That made me think it was too "boyish," but oh well. I like the look of the Overland products I've seen. I can't even imagine what your bag closet must look like! :)

bubbaray
09-15-2005, 10:46 PM
My husband got me the Capri for my birthday and thankfully got the instore pick up. I tried it there, but I wear my bags over the "other" shoulder than you so it did NOT work at all. Too bad, I liked the lining! I wasn't keen on the material AT ALL though and perhaps would have returned it for that reason alone.

I looked at that REI bag, but I wanted a water bottle holder, so ruled it out.

Where did you get the sale price on that REI bag?!

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

MarisaSF
09-16-2005, 12:53 AM
In store, about 3 weeks ago, the Mini (in select colors) was $19.83! In the "new" colors it was $40. I haven't been back, but perhaps they still have some... or maybe the sale will happen again? I couldn't find them online, but maybe ebay has some entrepreneurs?

I wanted a water bottle holder too, but the price won me over to it.

One thing I came back to add was that the REI bag can be worn over either shoulder... even though I never saw that advertised! It's pretty neat how they made it switchable; I think they did a good job.