PDA

View Full Version : Kecci Shanghai Mommy Bags - Do they get too beat up?

ChrissyJames
09-23-2005, 11:21 AM
I am writing to see if anyone has one of those funky Kecci Shanghai mommy bags and whether they are sufficiently durable? I was thinking of the "Truffle" print. I love them but I am worried the fabric will go kaput. I do lots of walking and am in a rainy climate. I hate the vinyl covered bags so that is not an option for me. Also, if you don't like this one, brand recommendations for stylish bags that arent too diaper bagish? Thanks!

lizziebee
09-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi there,

I had a similar concern but I got a kecci anyway because I was tired of boring nylon! Pluses: it's really beautiful. Supposedly machine-washable, although the tags said that washing by hand would be preferred. In spite of a floppy shape it has some helpful pockets. It is relatively inexpensive (yeah, I can't believe I'm saying that a $50-60 bag is a good price either, but I am!) Downsides: the fabric does snag or catch. I've noticed some spots that get more use (the strap, pocket seams near the top, etc.) where the thread is pulling out a bit. I've had mine for five months.

However, I'm really tough on bags (I overpack them, stuff them in stroller baskets, over the stroller bars, on the ground, pretty much everywhere) and until recently this was the only bag I carried. Now I swap it out with a few other bags. I like the Kecci so much that I ordered another one to use when my caramel one wears out, LOL. You think I'd learn.

I've been wanting a Jessica Bumble, which I've been thinking about for a while. But... I live in a climate that has a lot of rain in the winter, so I went with a Timi & Leslie large bebe bag. I'm really not a vinyl girl. While I love some of the Fleurville prints I couldn't get past the shine. The T&L works for me, somehow, because I love the fabric even though it's shiny. And it will definitely be my winter bag this year.

Other choices for you? I'm not nearly the expert that some of the other people here are. I will say that the Bumbles sound like a nice option--more durable than the Kecci brocades, great organization, fun fabric, but really functional. The sling tote comes in a black and green ballistic. The green looks really sharp, and the material isn't vinyl. Maybe a skip hop? I don't know much about them but they look cool.

Hope that helps a little bit. Sorry for the novel. Not much sleep last night makes me a blathering idiot today, sigh.

michlyn
09-27-2005, 09:58 PM
The fabric snags easily, and I don't consider it the most durable.

I'm getting a Chester Messenger bag (www.chesterhandbags.com)(Forget me not print), and I can't wait to try it out. It's not vinyl either.

supercalifragilous
09-28-2005, 04:59 AM
I actually just saw the Truffle print @ Nordstrom Rack for $37.

I arranged the first Kecci co-op way back when and the bag I got is still holding up well after daily use to the office and everywhere (it's my everyday bag). I'm a huge overpacker and I'm amazed the backpack straps haven't fallen off.

I haven't had a problem with fabric snagging - the only thing I didn't like was that the external bottle pockets are lined with an interfacing-type material and since I put my keys in there it's snagged it a lot over time and so it gets spiderwebby sometimes (if that makes sense). Just imagine Velcro hooks rubbing over interfacing and that's what it looks like now.

Overall, I love the bag - everyone who's complimented me on it has been shocked that it's actually a diaper bag (nevermind the tag that says MommyBag on the side).

I haven't washed it yet since I Scotchguarded the heck out of it before using it b/c I too live in a really wet climate. I think it still looks pretty good - maybe the brocade has lost some of its initial luster that might be revived with some dry cleaning.

It has gotten floppier with time and extended use (plus I'm hard on bags and wear it in the rain) but I think that's the nature of the bag. It's not really meant to be a stand-by-itself kind of bag anyway.

I much prefer this bag over the Petunia Pickle Bottom I also have - that was a huge disappointment for 4x the price, plus the customer service is bad and they don't stand behind their bags IME. After dry cleaning my PPB, it is now floppier than my old Kecci. I think the vinyl lining of the Kecci bag makes it sturdier, actually.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Can you tell I don't regret buying a Kecci? At $37, I've MORE than gotten my $$ worth out of it more than any other bag or high-end purse!! ;)

ETA: Kecci customer service has been GREAT. They've stood behind discontinued bags and replaced bags with defective zippers with a brand new one. The first-ever batch of Keccis had defective zippers which have since been corrected with the 2nd generation line which includes the Truffle; the zipper is much hardier. I'm sure they would replace a bag you got at Nordstrom Rack, Overstock, or paid full price without question. Kinda funny b/c PPB didn't give me the time of day and in fact blamed the user (ME) for the defect. Plus they are picky about where you bought your bag (i.e. no eBay bags supported) IME.

DebbieJ
09-28-2005, 07:26 AM
I bought mine in the original coop. I have the black one, so the dirt and fabric snagging have not really been issues.

However, my zipper just broke for the second time. And I am not a big packer. I have not yet contacted Kecci, but honestly, I'm ready to try something else.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

ren62r
09-28-2005, 01:49 PM
I have a Kecci and like it a lot - I live in Seattle and have not yet worn it through the rainy season though, so don't know how well it will hold up that way. But it's a good solid bag for the price. I have had mine for 4 months now and no snags at all!

I also have a bumble bag (Jessica style) that I really like and think will hold up better in the rain - but it's also more expensive. I use my bumble as a messenger style bag and my kecci as a backpack (usually).

When I was first looking for diaper bags, I was really thinking about a PPB, but I just couldn't deal with the price and the thought that it was so impractical for Seattle weather.

I love the looks of the Timi and Leslie bags too!!! Bumble bags has just come out with a new Madeline style that is more of a back pack if you like back packs - it's really cute!

hth,

Renee

bbagel
09-28-2005, 09:07 PM
supercalifragilous-

How long ago did you see the Kecci at Nordstrom's Rack? Was it recently or long time ago?! Thanks. :)

lpl47
09-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Do you have any photos of your Timi & Leslei large bebe bag? The size (12x12) is on the smaller side of messenger bags which definitely appeals to me... I have toddler now, so I don't need to carry as many things (until #2 arrives) and I'd like something that feels more like carrying a purse than a diaper bag. I also have a One Cool Chick small messenger, but it's definitely showing wear and I would like another option so my OCC will last a longer.

Thanks

momathome
10-04-2005, 08:41 AM
There were several at my Nordstrom Rack (King of Prussia, PA) over the weekend. I am on the fence as to whether or not to buy one.

sashaa
10-05-2005, 12:51 PM
I used mine for a couple of weeks and the fabric snags on me!!! Also, I spot treated an area and you can tell right away where it is treated.... I do not that think it would be very durable for a heavy user.

okinawanchick
10-06-2005, 05:07 PM
I saw several of them at my Nordstrom's Rack today (Ft. Worth, TX). I am thinking about getting one myself!