PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about Fleurville

tarabenet
09-25-2005, 11:01 PM
I know I should get shot for this, but I'm just not clear: What is the thing that makes Fleurville soooooooo hot? I don't dislike them -- I think they look great. But is there more to the magic? Is there something way too great about their organization? Size? Or is it all about the hot prints and the heavy PVC outer layer?

I tend to be a minimalist packer. Is that why I'm missing the beauty of them?

Fire away. But please help me "get it", too? :)

Benet

audball
09-26-2005, 12:08 AM
I think there are probably many reasons people like the bags - all different, of course! I'll list what I've heard as positives about the bags:
1. Fleurville Mothership is one of the larger baby bags on the market. They are not super-well organized on the interior, but they are much better than a standard messenger bag (like a Timbuk2 for instance) for carrying baby items (wipes, dipes, etc.).
2. Nice fabrics - both vinyl-coated and not (their Sling Totes are available in ballistic nylon, and the A7 was available in canvas and cord).
3. Vinyl- coating. Some moms like this, others don't. But now they are very pliable and do make cleaning outside messes and rainy weather a non-issue for the bags
4. Interior organization, size and convenience of the Alpha 7s, Sling Totes, lunch packs, and Escape pods.
5. Good customer rapport. Many folks who previously had issues with the vinyl-coating really felt that Catherine Granville, the owner, listened to their issues (there is a thread here on issues with the vinyl on the old Motherships). She was concerned without being patronizing and in the end, did help quite a few folks.
6. Really good publicity. The bags were featured on a baby shower show that Oprah did and they are generally at least one of the bags shown in magazine articles on baby/diaper bags.

You'll find many companies have hot prints on their diaper bags (Posh Baby, Bumble Bags, Petunia Picklebottom, etc.), good interior organization - possibly better than some of the Fleurvilles (Bumble Bags, Loom Marsupial, for ex.), compact profile (Chester bags), and good ease-of-use factor (Skip Hop)...so really it's a matter of personal taste! :)

ellies mom
09-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Well, here is what I like about them.

They are well thought out. They have little features that are just so cool. They also are willing to change features mid-stream to improve the bag. For example, the original Escape Pod had zippers that were at the bottom or center of the bag depending on how you were looking at it. It was a big bother to use, so they changed it. They didn't make it a new model, they just made it better. Another example is the Sling Tote. The original had a built in insulated bottle holder. They recently changed it to make it removable. That gives it life beyond a child.

While, I'm not big on shine, I liked the cleanability of the vinyl. I kept my diaper bag in the back of my car and so they get a bit dirty. Not a problem here. The fabrics are cool as well. Fun and pretty.

The sling tote at least doesn't even look like a diaper bag. That is the first thing the people I've shown it to had to say. They are coming out with a smaller version of the Sling Tote in about 6 months so maybe it will appeal to you more. I agree that it is on the large side since I tend to pack really small too.

Finally. I can't make this bag. A lot of the nice bags I've seen are very easy to make and still spendy. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on a Petunia Pickle Bottom or Two Red Hens bags. While they may have nice fabrics, there is nothing special about the bag itself. This bag I could see spending the money or more accurately ask DH to since it was a birthday gift. ;)

tarabenet
09-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks, ladies!
It isn't that I don't like them. In fact, I think they are very sharp looking, come ins ome wonderful fabrics. And I like the durability that has to come with that heavy vinyl layer. But I didn't know all that about the inner workings, and that is exactly what I was wondering! Like you said, Veronica, most bags I see, I know I could just make, and this one looked that way too. But I didn't get a chance to look inside. Big difference!

Thanks for the info!

Benet