PDA

View Full Version : Goofy question...

fairyfahrenholz
11-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi All -

So I'm sure this has been asked already, but what do you all do when your beaner has outgrown the infant carrier carseat, but isn't sitting up unassisted yet and you go to the store or the restaurant?

I just ordered a sling for the store, but I still don't know what to do when we go out to eat, because he's still too floppy unassisted. :P

TIA!

Kristen
Emma 5/10/04
Michael 6/2/05

elliput
11-21-2005, 01:49 PM
You can still use the infant carrier for out of car purposes even if they have out grown it for car use.

Edensmum
11-22-2005, 12:47 AM
DD was tiny and sat early so we never had a time like that. Hmmmm I would say stroller is the best bet.
Eden 9/04

B_B
11-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey--I have the exact thing. You need a Bumbo. Here's a picture:

http://www.allegromedical.com/children_pediatric/seating_positioning/bumbo/bumbo_baby_seat_color_aqua_BUMBO-AQUA.P211253

It's a little ~$40 foam seat that sits on any flat surface. It can be used as soon as the baby's holding up his head; he doesn't need trunk control with it. The back extends up to just behind the head and curves around the shoulders of a small infant. We used ours to go out to all sorts of places, starting just under 3 months, when the kid was holding up his head well. It'll sit neatly on a chair or in a booth and keep the kid just above table height, where you can easily bottle or spoon feed (depending on what your kid's doing).

Plus it's fun. The novelty of seeing a small baby sitting up at a restaurant table draws all sorts of passers-by to coo and burble at your baby, and ours was so happy in his that he never fussed in a restaurant--just ate, got sleepy, and then napped on our laps or (when we brought it) his infant carrier. We got comments every time about how happy the little guy was, how well behaved (chuh--like a 3 month old has any concept of "behave"), etc. Now that he's steady in a highchair, we use it at home for haircuts and occasional spoon feedings.

Do a Google Image search to see many photos of floppy infants sitting up, all surprised-looking, in Bumbos.

Possible danger alert: though our kid has yet to figure out how to tip himself out of the Bumbo (and he's pulling to stand and crawling, now) it could be unsafe in a busy, crowded place on a tippy chair if a waiter bumped into it and knocked it off its perch. We always put it on a chair against a wall or in a protected corner.

B_B
Will, 5/7/05

nfowife
11-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Before my DD could really sit up (but she had good head control, she just fell over if you let her go when sitting), I could still get away with putting her in a shopping cart by using one of those shopping cart covers that is very plush (mine is from angelynrose.com, but many here also love the sewcuteboutique.com ones- same idea). I would put blankets folded up on either side and in front of her to help prop her up, and it was great (still is, but now she can sit on her own fine). It also works really well in restaurant high chairs, the cover is a bit thick so you don't even really need to prop baby up. I started doing this at about 5 months old.

DebbieJ
12-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Just keep the infant seat in the trunk and use it as a seat at the restaurant.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg