PDA

View Full Version : Please help me find a bag for our trip!

aes74
12-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi!

We are leaving on a three week trip to Paris this week. I have a 5 year old, and a 2 year old still in diapers. I need to pack all those things you need: possible medicines, diapers, change of clothes, snacks, things to keep them occupied, etc. etc. We will be on a 9 hour flight, plus a few train trips of about 5 hours in length. So I need to be prepared!! I want something without teddy bears, etc. Not something HUGE necessarily, but well organized and with many compartments. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Also, I cannot spend $100+ on a diaper bag, we are already spending enough on the trip, I think my husband would blow a gasket. I have been looking at the Land's End DIA or the new tote DIA. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Amy

My Babies:
Emma Elizabeth 7/26/2005
Laura Grace 12/07/2003
my Acura MDX 8/2005

mommabear
12-12-2005, 12:30 PM
I have a bag for travel that I love. I got it at toysrus. It is the catini sierra bag. Although I still see it in the store as well as BRU they no longer have a pic online but here is a pic of the backpack version.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006JZGA/102-4064966-0856941?v=glance&s=baby&me=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&vi=pictures&img=1#more-pictures

The bag is a large messenger size but is not bulky. The organization is great as is the $29 price tag.
The Lands end DIA would work as well I juast personally don't like the doctor bag opening.
Le sportsac would be a good website to check out.
Have fun on your trip.

debbiet.
12-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Paris, I am jealous! Have you seen the timbuktu tote bag?
I saw someone with it today. It looks really cute plus very sturdy.
I know there have been some good reviews here.

HTH!
Deb

writeleigh
12-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Have you checked some of the One Step Ahead bags? Some are quite large for travel:

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/85222/354767/117.html

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/86208/123757/117.html

And also are the Land's End bags- some are quite roomy:

http://landsend.com/cd/index/fp/0,,47581,00.html?sid=6341127954827168910

heatherlynn
12-16-2005, 08:18 PM
How about the Lands End Large Tailored Tote? It's big and has great organization. I like it better than the DIA.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

tmrbwilson1998
12-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi, Amy! I have made the trans-Atlantic flight (mine were 11-12 hours each, plus 1 hour shorter connecting flights - ugh) four times now, and I can honestly say that my plain jane LE diaper backpack worked pretty well (this last trip I had a BUSY 2 1/2 yr old and a 4-mo old). I liked the multiple pockets, bright blue interior, mommy pockets, and the fact that for the price, I did not care if it got trampled on, shoved under seats, thrown around every which way, etc. In fact, we took a trip to Paris a couple of months ago and I took the backpack (the first time we went by train and I had a plain backpack from college, not so much organization) and I also took my small Bebe (in La Femme, the Paris fabric, of course :) ) which I carried with snacks each day to the museums and such.

I had asked a similar question a while back, and another member here suggested the Baby Sherpa bag, which seems like it can hold a ton if need be and is still under $100, so you may want to check it out!

Have a safe trip, and have fun!
Tina

EAPaquelet
01-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Hello! I hope this finds you in time before your trip. We have gone to Europe with our baby (now toddler) a few times, and we have a great bag from LL Bean:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=boat-and-tote-bag&categoryId=37037&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=5236&cat4=3153&shop_method=pp&feat=dp50

It's the extra large Boat and Tote bag with a zipper and our last name monogrammed. It's served as a great catch all bag for all the gear that we end up taking (toys, snacks, milk, diapers, DVD player, etc.). I put my Fluerville bag in it when getting on and off the plane and then take it out for the trip for those bathroom runs.

While in Europe, I've found that this bag has become even more of an essential for me than at home. We need to take things from the hotel to the car, or from the car to the train, or touring spot, and we just throw it all into this "family bag".

Good luck and safe travels!
-Betsy

PS - make sure you take current pictures of your kids with you just in case something happens (don't want to have a missing child and have to deal with finding a picture, or having someone from home send it). And keep pasport numbers with you as well... just in case.

94bruin
01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
I highly recommend the Baby Sherpa (www.babysherpa.com/). It's very well organized on the inside and out. I love that there are toy loops on the outside. Also, on the bottom, there is a large insulated pouch for keeping perishables cold. It served us well on our flight across the country (granted, I only had one baby, but I packed her stuff along with my PISA & a bunch of bottles/ expressed milk & snacks for me & dh.) It helps that it's a backpack, so you can have your hands free.

It's under $100, but I bought mine off another momma for an even better price on the BBB Diaper Bag Swap yahoogroup.

HTH!