PDA

View Full Version : Which diaper bag to take to hospital?

cindylouhoo
12-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Well, after reading all of your posts and suggestions, I became addicted to diaper bags, and DS isn't even here, yet! However, he is due to arrive on January 19. So, I was wondering which of my purchases to take to the hospital. I plan on bringing 2 take-home outfits (in case one is too big), socks, blanket, hats, & nail clippers. Let me know if you have other suggestions for what DS will need to have packed. I've been told I would be able to take home most things from the nursery cart at the hospital (diapers, wipes, etc). So which diaper bag should I take. I have a choice of Land's End DIA, JP Lizzy Caroline, or Skip Hop Dash. I also have a smaller one - LE Little Tripper. I teach, so I'm trying to pack prior to returning to school after Winter Break. TIA

boogiemom
12-24-2005, 10:33 AM
I'd take the lands end DIA to give you plenty of room to pack up any gifts, etc. that may come to the hospital as well. They usually give you a folder full of information that needs to go home with you too. If you are circ. your son then there will be some supplies given to you to take care of that area as it heals. There's always things to bring home that you didn't plan on.

Good Luck!

MommytoLayla
12-24-2005, 01:20 PM
I used the DIA and it worked great, we had it packed full to come home. I would also suggest maybe a small collapsable bag that you could stick in the bottom of your bag to bring all the other things home like gifts, and everything else from the nursery cart that you couldn't fit in the DIA. We were given a whole package a diapers a case of formula and wipes. We definitely didn't have enough room in the DIA for all of that :)

GOOD LUCK and Easy Labor vibes to you :)

nfowife
12-25-2005, 08:54 AM
I didn't bring a diaper bag to the hospital at all. I just had a suitcase with all of my (and outfits for baby) stuff in it, and there was a little bit of extra room where I brought home all the free stuff from the hospital. There really isn't a need for a diaper bag there, and the less you bring with you, the better! I didn't use a lot of the stuff I brought for myself, so pack light! And whatever you "forget" you can have someone bring you.

dhano923
12-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Same here. I only had my overnight bag and put the baby's clothes and baby book with my stuff. Less things for us to carry!

supercalifragilous
12-26-2005, 12:36 AM
I didn't take a diaper bag to the hospital either. They actually give you a free one on the way out and provide everything you need there, except for the going-home/picture outfit (though they did give us a hospital onesie and a handknitted cap). I would just leave enough room in your suitcase to take home all the stuff they give you!!! It's a LOT!

MommyAllison
12-26-2005, 06:33 PM
I took my SH Dash and it was perfect. I had two going home outfits, diapers, blankets, hats, socks, rash cream, etc. My bag was pretty much packed for use after just the hospital visit (most newborns don't have diaper rash :) but I didn't want to forget to throw it in later) and it worked fine. The hospital I delivered at was a very pro-BFing hospital, so they didn't give out free diaper bags - if yours is also pro-BF I wouldn't count on getting a bag there. It sounds like you have plenty of bags already though :) We did get to take stuff home from our nursery cart but I preferred our diapers (they provided size 1 only, which were HUGE on DD at birth - she wore newborns) so we saved the size 1s from the hospital and she wore a newborn dipe home. We also got to bring home her hat, the nasal aspirator (bulb syringe), the few wipes that were left (meconium - yuck!), but had to leave the blankets and hospital t-shirt. Anyway, I thought the Dash had plenty of room - most of the gifts we got were in gift bags so we just used those to carry them home. The hardest part is the flower bouquets - those can't fit in bags! :) GL!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png (http://lilypie.com)

sophiesmom
12-26-2005, 09:53 PM
I never took a diaper bag either, with both babies.. not planning on taking one this time either. Maybe a big paper bag w/ handles to fold up and pack in your suitcase for gifts..??? the hospital gave me a diaper bag each time too. i just put the baby's outfits in my bag. i did bring 2 though, in case of a poopy mess or something on the 1st.

also, be careful w/ the nail clippers! i for some strange reason (i guess being a second time mom and feeling over confident) made DH bring our baby nail clippers from home because our son's nails were so long. i tried to clip them and cut his finger, only 1 day old! it bled and he screamed. i felt AWFUL. i told the dr. and he was looked at me funny like 'why the heck..??' ;-) if they are swaddled or have the mittens that is fine. i know clippers don't take up much space, but just wanted to share that story, i'd hate to see someone else do the same~!!! i don't think i'll be doing any clipping this time around ;-)

Good luck!!!!

Emmas Mom
12-27-2005, 11:18 AM
I never took a diaper bag either, just used the freebie they gave me. Not planning to take one this time either. I overpacked my bag the first time...the hospital provided most everything I needed, so I'm being a bit of a minimalist this time I think. ;) For DD I'm packing an outfit to come home in, a Swaddle me wrap, hat, & blanket. That's all. While we're in the hospital they have diapers, blankets & hats for her to wear...they worked for DD#1 so I'm sure they'll be fine this time too. For me I'm taking a going home outfit, my maternity robe (but will wear the hospital gowns under it while I'm there), 2 pairs of socks, slippers, toiletries (although, again, the hospital provides pretty much everything), a little makeup, camera, video recorder (for AFTER the birth), nursing bra & pads...I think that's aobut it. And yes....take EVERYTHING they let you! ;) :D

Allison_B
12-29-2005, 12:19 AM
I love the LE DIA and we use it a lot now, but I agree with the PPs that you probably don't need to lug it to the hospital. Just take a bag with your stuff that has enough room for his things, which won't take up all that much space either.

A sneaky secret... stash diapers and other assorted things that you like that they give you in the hospital in your bag a few times WHILE you're there and they'll bring some more. Yes, your insurance company pays for it, but hey, you deserve some perks!

Something I took that was very helpful was one of those full-sheet size plastic velcro-close envelopes (document carrier). I could stash the thousand forms they gave me and not worry about them falling out and I could read through them and organize later.

Good Luck!

KrisM
01-03-2006, 09:51 PM
I was told that the nails are too soft for clippers at the beginning and to use a file instead. I did that in the hospital and it was fine. I had the files made for babies.