PDA

View Full Version : Duo users--what do you pack for 2?

Rach3975
12-27-2005, 11:22 PM
As of March I'll have a 2 1/2 year old and a newborn, and I'm debating whether my Duo will be big enough. Anyone who's using it for 2 kids, what are you packing? I know a lot of you are using it for 2, so I'm wondering if I'm trying to carry more than most of you, and if your lists can inspire me to cut back at all. Or my problem may be that I never really fill the main compartment, since that means digging for things. If that's the case, then I guess I just have to go ahead and find another flap-free messenger. I wouldn't mind, but DH sure would!

heatherlynn
12-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Well, I'm not sure if this helps you, but I had a Duo and found that it was too small for 2 for an everyday bag, so I sold it. I think it would work as a quick trip bag, though. I bought a BRU one on clearance and will keep that on a stroller as a sort of "console" in addition to whatever bag I'm carrying that day.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

kboyle
12-30-2005, 02:01 PM
I had a knock-off duo from BRU and used it when right after I had DS2. At around 2 mos I purchased a Skip Hop Dash and fit the same amt of stuff, but with lots more room. I LOVE MY DASH. Here is what I had in the Duo:

main compartment:
Tshirt for Charlie
Onsie for Max--both rolled up inside a clean ziplock bag (use to put dirties in)
Sm pint bottle of water (nursery water)
empty bottle
formula dispenser (filled just in case)
rolled up receiving blanket (to cover babe or to use as changing pad if needed)
fleurville wristlet (used as my wallet)
tylenol
advil for me
sippy cup

zippered compartment
breast pads
some of my papers or coupons

2 front little pockets:
hotwheels
playmobil guys
little book
my cell phone

back pocket that normally hold changing pad:
2 sz 4
2 sz 1 dipes
huggies travel wipes soft pack

it was quite a tight squeeze, but it was all shoved in there. I didn't like the deepness of the main compartment and now LOVE my dash. I have all the same stuff in my dash comfortably.

chubbycheeks
01-02-2006, 06:56 PM
I use it for two, but it is tight and I am using it less and less as I find I'm not liking the depth of it. I have an 8 month old and an almost three year old. We cloth diaper, and if I bring cloth diapers with me (sometimes I use sposies when we go out) I can only fit two Fuzzi Bunz, travel size wipes, my wallet and cell, dirties bag, small blanket to use as a changing pad, and a water bottle and maybe a sippy. We BF, but I think if you are FF then it would be really tight with bottles and all. I usually end up shoving stuff in the top that sticks out of the bag, which doesn't leave me feeling all that pulled together! Of late I am liking my Fleurville A7, and I think I may look into the Das again after the PP suggestion!

kboyle
01-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Go for the Dash, Go for the Dash!!! Like I said, I LOVE my Dash. Even after I am out of the diaper bag stage I will still use this for myself, or to carry their junk around. I was going to get a factory second A7 from Fleurville, but they only had the Pink Chocolate and even though I LOVE pink, I wanted something a little less bright and babyish. I've got a green camo dash and have gotten TONS of compliments!

Rach3975
01-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I just have to accept that the Duo isn't going to work at first, since I'll need diapering supplies, snacks and sippy for the toddler, a pouch sling, and changes of clothes for both. (DS #1 will probably be potty training while DS #2 is still young enough to need an extra outfit.) I like the look and organization of the Dash, but I think I'd hate the flap. I ordered the LL Bean Large Travel Touring Bag, and while it isn't as stylish as the Dash, I think it'll work better for me.

chubbycheeks
01-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Too funny! I was just thinking of ordering the LL Bean bag myself. Let us know how you like it!

Rach3975
01-08-2006, 12:00 AM
I got and packed the LL Bean Bag, and I love it! It's organized a lot like the Lands End Little Tripper, which is my favorite toddler bag. I tried packing all my "essentials" in both the LL Bean and the Duo. In the Duo it just fit-the bag barely closed and there was no extra room. In the LL Bean I fit it easily, and there was plenty of room left over for throwing in a small lunch for my toddler or a sweater for the baby. In spite of the space, the LL Bean doesn't feel huge to me.

I don't know how much you can really tell from this, but here are a few interior pictures of the 2 bags packed. I don't have newborn diapers yet, so I just left some extra room for those. Also, I was too lazy to go get a sippy cup when packing the Duo, so I just left the mesh bottle pocket empty. In the LL Bean, the diapering supplies are in the zipped compartment within the main section.

I packed:
Changing supplies--2 size 5 diapers, small changing pad, wipes, vaseline, scented bags
Restaurant supplies--hand wipes, disposable placemats, tissues
Sippy cup, snack cup, juice box
Toy cell phone
Large burp cloth and small receiving blanket (Large burp cloth in exterior pocket)
Pouch sling (in exterior pocket)
Change of clothes for newborn and potty training 2 year old (chose clothes that fold small)
My stuff--phone, PDA, wallet, granola bar, Blistex, keys (in exterior pockets)

Duo:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31619.jpg

LL Bean:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31620.jpg

Contents:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31621.jpg

LL Bean diaper compartment
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31622.jpg