PDA

View Full Version : Bundle Me (by J.J. Cole)

MelissFree
01-12-2006, 08:59 AM
We have just completed our baby registry and included the Bundle Me Lite by J.J. Cole. A friend viewing our registry said that she'd taken her baby to the hospital in a Bundle Me and the hospital personnel told her that they are very dangerous and should not be on the market.

However, she didn't seem to be able to tell me WHY they are so bad, and I would be curious to know if anyone has heard about this and, if so, what makes them dangerous.

Thanks in advance for your input!

nfowife
01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
They can be dangerous if used in a carseat, because if they go under the baby the straps will not be as tight as they would be on the baby without the bundle me. And then, if in an accident, the bundle me can compress, making the straps loose and causing more injury to the infant. It is better to get a shower-cap type of cover that fits over the seat if you are concerned about keeping baby warm. I just used a blanket but I didn't have a winter baby.

Rach3975
01-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Most of the car seat covers on the market suffer from the same flaw mentioned above. (It's also why you should never bundle your baby up in a puffy coat or snowsuit and then strap them into their carseat.) I had a fleece one from Lands End that went over the top of the carseat. I don't know if it was as warm as some of the others on the market, but I felt much safer with that one. Also, it was easy enough to add a few small blankets on the coldest days. They've since redone it, but the new style doesn't go under the baby, either.

Here's a link:
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_52357_63663_137028_115435_5:view=-1,00.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_63662&sid=2350142867091145950

MomtoAveryAndCamryn
01-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I used a Bundle Me Lite and loved it. They have actually been crash tested. Here is what I found on the item description.

"Consider this
In tests performed at an independent testing lab recommended by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Bundle Me had little to no effect on the performance of the car seat in a crash and met Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213 requirements (car seat performance in crash tests). Never use the Bundle Me or any other comforter or soft blanket to put your baby to sleep in a crib, bassinet, or on a bed or floor. Several studies have linked soft sleeping surfaces to an increased risk in SIDS. If you're searching for a way to keep your baby warm in bed, consider the SleepSack. Also note: If you're looking for something a little warmer, try the original Bundle Me."

The back of the Bundle Me Lite that touches the carseat is a thin piece of material. Like a T-Shirt material. The straps on my carseat were not even affected and I could still get a tight fit.

Sara

nfowife
01-13-2006, 03:26 PM
That's all fine, but most car seat manuals specifically say NOT to put anything between baby and seat- and that's what I would follow. Read your seat manual.

jeannine6
01-16-2006, 04:27 PM
BundleMe is really really good for a stroller, but not a carseat.

Kiddopotamus makes a great bundler for carseats. It has a strap with snaps at the top and elastic at the bottom. The strap goes around the back of the seat while the elastic snuggles in at the bottom of the seat. Nothing goes between the baby and the seat, and the baby stays warm.

Also, it not only goes over the infant seat, but you can use it in a convertible seat (fits nicely on my Marathon), a stroller and even around you and baby when the baby is in a Snuggli.

Usually it's the same price, or slightly higher than the BundleMe.

roundrock
01-24-2006, 12:24 AM
I love my BundleMe, but I also had some concerns about safety before I decided to buy it. In addition to taking into consideration the comments of the other posters here, I recommend that you get in touch with the JJ Cole company as well - there's an email form that you can fill out on their website, and they get back to you really promptly (in my case, they left me both voice and email messages the very next day).... They spent quite a long time talking to me about the safety issues, product testing, etc. I really came out with a lot of confidence in the product's safety (and, yes, I had also read and talked to people who argued to the contrary). In the end, whatever your verdict, at least you'll have made an informed decision.

sophdog33
01-24-2006, 12:38 AM
I have been using the Bundle Me lite since day one and have never taken it out of DD's carseat/carrier. The material that goes in between my daughter and the back of the carseat is very thin and has velcro and holes to put the straps through to keep her snug.

I do have the sheepskin type version too but I only use it in her jogger stroller... that one would give me reason to worry since the material is very thick.