PDA

View Full Version : looking for backpack with cooler

ericher
01-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi,
It's time we got a diaper backpack with a cooler compartment to hold snacks and bottles. I have looked through some of the recommendations on the board but many of them seem so expensive. We really weren't budgeting more than $60 or $70 total for this (including shipping). Is there anything out there we could get that is decent?

And I know many people recommend the sherpa--but aside from the expense I've been scared off by some negative feedback on other sites, where people have said the quality is poor. Also, some people say that the backpack is unstable unless you have food or bottles in the bottom part--have you found this to be true?

Help! I am totally overwhelmed.

Elise

momtoB
01-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Hi, I honestly don't understand why more diaper/cooler bags aren't available. I am always looking for a good cooler/diaper bag but they just don't seem to exist. My ds is a "grazer" when it comes to eating and so we would be lost without his bag with milk and snacks wherever we're at. I don't dare go anywhere longer farther than 10mins from home without it. We now use an insulated lunch back I found that has a small seperate compartment on the bottom. We put an ice pack w/food in the larger top compartment and use the bottom one for a couple of diapers, ziploc with wipes and maybe an individual size bag of chips or cookies. It's not ideal by any means but it works. If you really need a bigger bag you might want to consider buying a small bottle cooler bag (I've seen several at BRU in the past and online at Target.com recently) that can fit inside a backpack that you like.

Also, have you looked at BRU? I remember quite a while ago seeing a black back pack there that had a cooler compartment in it. At the time I thought - "oh I won't be needing a diaper bag much longer" so I didn't buy it and I've been kicking myself ever since! lol. I think it was California Innovations brand, but I'm not sure. It was reasonably priced too - under $30. A steal compared to the Sherpa. Of course they may not have anything like it any more but I thought I would mention it. hth and good luck with your search.

ETA: I did a quick search and found this bag online: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/baby/B0001ZVB34//002-7453373-1755256
It might be the one I was looking at before. I don't remember how big the insulated pocket was though. hth.

ericher
01-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the tip. We are heading out on a trip in a week so I couldn't wait and ended up buying an Eagle Creek product off of ebags. I don't think they have a cooler in it but I think there are some insulated pockets. At least I got it for around $60 and it has a lifetime warranty. It's been driving me crazy that you are supposed to spend $100 on this! And not to mention that there are so few options. What are they thinking! I liked the one you pointed me to but since kid #2 is in our future I figured we have to go with bigger rather than with something described as medium sized.