PDA

View Full Version : Which dipe bag would you choose?

rockchalk
01-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Hi -- I'm mom to an almost 18-month-old daughter and soon-to-be born son. I'm due in just 3 weeks. I'm looking for my ultimate diaper bag -- big enough to hold infant gear, toddler misc., and some of my stuff too (ie. wallet, cell, lip gloss), but not so bulky it weighs me down.

I've narrowed my search to four styles, but can't decide from there. That's where you come in. Please, please give me your opinions. This whole thing is stressing me out. Here are the four I picked:

Fleurville MotherShip
OiOi Messenger
OiOi Hobo
Loom Marsupial

I'm not interested in backpack style bags or those with short handles. I want something I can throw over my shoulder quickly. Oh, I liked a couple Ju Ju Be styles, but not the materials.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Ohio_Mom
01-26-2006, 07:57 PM
I'd encourage you to add the Lexie Barnes Superstar to your list. It's a nice big messenger bag that is so pliable, stuffable, well-organized, and incredibly lightweight and comfortable to carry. A lot of people complain about how huge and heavy the Mothership feels (I think that's partially compounded by the stiff vinyl coating on the Fleurvilles), and compared to that the Superstar is a breath of fresh air. It's waterproof, but the fabric has been laminated so it still stays soft and lightweight, not stiff and heavy like the vinyl-coated bags.

I just went through a major diaper bag search for a big enough bag for an infant and a toddler, and after trying out a TON of bags I just totally fell in love with the Superstar. I think it's the best darn diaper bag around. LOL.

http://www.bebecandy.com has a special going right now for 15% off all Lexie Barnes bags with coupon code Lexie 15 (keep the space or else the code won't work) with free shipping, and http://www.mylittleducks.com has a 10% off everything in January with coupon code JAN10 with free shipping. I also think http://www.sophiebags.com is having a sale on all their Lexie Barnes bags right now too, and they offer free shipping too.

HTH, and good luck! It can be overwhelming to search for just the right bag. Trust me, I know!

sophiesmom
01-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Is the Superstar bigger than the SH Dash? I need a bag for 3 kids soon, and some people have suggested the Dash may be too small.

Also, does it have side pockets for bottle/cups?
Thanks!

Ohio_Mom
01-26-2006, 09:29 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/prayerbear69/casual-handbag-1287.jpg

The dimensions of the Superstar are 12.5"h x 17"w x 6"d.

The dimensions of the Dash are 11.5"h x 13"w x 4.5"d.

So yes, the Superstar is definitely larger than the Dash. I tried out a Dash and didn't like it as well as the Superstar. I found that the Superstar opened bigger and wider so that you can find things inside more quickly and easily, whereas the canvas fabric of the Dash made it not open as widely and so I had to search around more for stuff. Also, those extra four inches of width make ALL the difference, in my opinion. The Dash definitely wasn't big enough to carry all of the items I need to pack for both a newborn and a two year old, but the Superstar accommodates all my needs with room to spare. I also liked that the Superstar closes with magnetic closures (which are quiet so as not to wake a sleeping baby) while the Dash closes with velcro. And I found it odd that the velcro on the Dash was located only halfway down the bag, leaving the bottom half of the messenger flap (and the pockets underneath) exposed. I am horrible about losing things, so this made me feel a little weird, like I wouldn't really be comfortable storing things in those short front pockets without something covering them to protect them. The Superstar's front flap comes all the way down over the pockets to keep everything secure. And yes, there are bottle holders on the sides. They are mesh, and I've found they will even hold a 20 oz. water bottle if I want them to.

Can you tell I love this bag? LOL.

sophiesmom
01-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Yes! You are convincing! The price is a little high, but might be worth treating myself going thru a 3rd pregnancy! ha ha!

mommato2boys
01-27-2006, 11:05 AM
I have been looking at the Lexie for a bigger bag too. Wonder if they will be having any new prints soon, I am not a fan of the ones right now. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Ohio_Mom
01-27-2006, 11:51 AM
New prints will be out in April. At least, that's what they're saying on the Yahoo babybags board. :-)

mommato2boys
01-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks!!!! So curious now what the new prints will be!!!!

lvales
01-28-2006, 10:06 AM
You might also consider a Timi& Leslie Large Bebe or Backpack. Nordstroms just had some of the bebes on clearance and you can find them on Ebay cheaper than you normally would.

The bebe is 12x12x4 and the backpack is 16.5" at the bottom, 14" at the top, 14" high and 5.75" deep. They are all vinyl covered like the Fleurville but the fabric underneath is brocade.

I know the straps on the backpack are adjustable but I don't know if you could adjust them to go over one shoulder - I've not seen one in person.

The Lexie Barnes are also cute - I'm currently thinking about the Darling as a toddler bag...

Caroline1124
01-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Me too! I am definitely considering the Lexie Superstar for my new bag, I can't wait for April to see what the new prints are.. I don't like *any* of the ones out now!

stellasmommy
02-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Hey question. I've been looking for the yahoo baby bags message board. Can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it?
Thanks.

clc053103
02-04-2006, 09:09 AM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/

You join, then await an email confirming your membership to get started. But beware, it will feed a diaper bag addiction! hehe

Yamsuf
03-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Does the Superstar attach well to strollers?