PDA

View Full Version : What's the low-down on biking with a toddler?

emschwar
02-01-2006, 02:26 PM
DS is 21 months, and ~26 lbs. I'm contemplating getting a bike and bike seat for us to use. (A little background - I did a lot of biking as a kid/teen, and as recently as grad school, when I rode my bike to school every day, just under 2 miles. I'm no expert biker, but I'm not totally inexperienced. I haven't ridden (rode?) a boke since ~2000 though.) I'd like to get back in shape, but since I'm a SAHM, I need to do it in a way that's fun for my toddler too.

Is a bike seat totally a ridiculous idea for me? We don't have the space or the $ for a trailer. As it is, the bike would have to live outside, since we're in a townhouse with no garage. We live in an area with lots of sidewalks, though it is fairly hilly.

Am I crazy for thinking this would be a good way to get out of the house and get some exercise? Is it folly to expect to be able to handle a bike with a toddler on it? (I've read some of the posts on bike seat safety, and DS would ALWAYS wear a helmet, as would I, and I'd get the safest seat possible for our budget.)

Thanks for the help!