PDA

View Full Version : need help with organizing diaper bag for travel

chinnari
02-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi,
I would be travelling with my kid for the first time in a flight. It is a 26 hour flight.
I would like to know the list of essential things to be kept in the diaper bag. Hope u all experienced moms would help me.
TIA
chinnari

dhano923
02-08-2006, 06:36 AM
You don't need too much if you plan well. What airline are you taking? When I flew to Singapore last year with my then 17 month old, I called ahead to set up his child meal (I had bought him a seat) and the guy told me that they also provide juice and milk for children. I took 2 empty sippy cups with me and the attendants filled them for me and also washed them for me. I flew Singapore Airlines.

I didn't take a carry on with me, just my diaper bag. I managed to cram everything into a Skip Hop Duo! (yes, I am an awesome packer - everyone in my family has me pack their luggage when they travel).

My bag had:
2 sippy cups
1 bottle of water (for me)
4-5 snack size ziploc bags with cookies and crackers. (I ended up only using 1 of these! Return trip I only packed 2)
6-7 diapers (SIA also gave me extra diapers and wipes when we boarded each flight)
Travel wipe case
diaper disposal bags on a roll
2 long sleeve shirts, an undershirt and jeans for DS
an extra Tshirt for me
2 magazines for me
a small coloring book and 8 crayons
a couple small board books for DS (new ones he had never read)
a matchbox car (his favorite toy at the time)
infant tylenol
mylicon (we normally don't use this - we use gripe water, but I didn't want the bottle leaking midflight)
Children's Benedryl (small bottle)
small travel sized diaper rash cream and baby powder

My bag was full but nothing was falling out or anything like that. If you are traveling during cooler months, I'd take a receiving blanket too. I also had my purse which had my wallet, our passports and small items like my makeup, Tylenol for me and some candy in case DS acted up.

Niki_n_Abby
02-08-2006, 10:25 AM
How old is your child? When we flew with my dd I packed our backpack with a change of clothes for all of us(never know when your luggage will be lost), itenerary specific stuff, larger toys and an extra sippy cup. In the diaper bag I had an extra change of clothes for dd(incase of an accident), wipes case, sippy cup(the flight attendants will refill it for you so you don't need to pack extra juice), snack trap and extra ziplocks of snacks and also Smarties candies(dds fave), small books, coloring book, crayons, her lovie blanket, first aid stuff(tylenol, benedhryl, bandaids, ointment) and my personal stuff.

What was really funny is that after carefully choosing new books and special little toys for the flight, DH brought his laptop and dd watched movies the entire flight LOL!

Niki

chinnari
02-08-2006, 11:11 AM
My kid is 11 months old.Forgot to mention his age in hurry. Thank u all for the replies.
Looking forward to more suggestions.
TIA
chinnari

chinnari
02-08-2006, 11:21 AM
I am travelling by North west/KLM airlines to India.
chinnari

joyful mommy
02-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm trying to recall off the top of my head here, but at about 8 mos. I think I also took (in addition to what has already been mentioned) the following on flights for DC:

Sassy Sacks (Baby King are even cheaper!) to put dirty diapers in just in case we had to change in an unexpected place and couldn't toss them right away. (This did happen.)

A few latex gloves in case you have to apply diaper cream and are unable to clean up as well as you'd like.

Small bottles of Purell! (after diaper changes, before meals, etc.)

Formula in divided containers or other small containers like Tupperware midgets. Take enough for a couple of extra bottles -- on a long haul (especially if you have more than one flight) you never know when you'll be delayed.

We took one small new toy for DC for each flight and brought it out when we felt the new distraction would be most appropriate.

A bib if you're feeding DC along the way. The new bibbity seems good for this as it wipes clean easily and is ready for the next use. It's soft and flexible too.

A couple of those Gerber fruit cups (stage 3) or unsweetened applesauce cups for a change of pace from the crackers we also brought. At 11 months your DC may be able to eat "bigger stuff" but you may want something simple, nutritious and easy to pack -- again, never knowing when you might need it.

We also took a fanny pack (DH's was a good size for this) to use as a diaper pack when changing DC on the plane. Those restrooms are generally small and you don't always get a changing table. The fanny pack held a couple of diapers, a small wipes case, gloves, travel size Desitin and Purell -- just unzip the pack and there you have everything at your easy reach without needing a shelf or anything to set stuff on.

Other suggestions here have been good too. Good luck and I hope your flight goes well! :) Our DC loved the planes and all went well on our flights.