PDA

View Full Version : help with smaller diaper bag

kkae12
02-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi ladies,

I have not posted in a long time because I was forced to take a diaper bag break. Now that my daughter is 17 mos and I am not having another one anytime soon, I am looking for a smaller, yet organized bag. I would like it to be a messenger or shoulder bag. A backpack would be fine if it was also convertible.

Does anyone have any ideas for a bag that's not too sporty looking? It doesn't necessarily need to be a diaper bag, but it has to be organized.

Here is what I need to carry:

2 size 5 diapers
disposable changing pad
travel wipes case
sippy cup (insulated holder would be a plus)
a few snacks
a small toy or two
my things: wallet, chapstick, lipstick, keys

Does anyone know about the Silver Line Swagg? How about the So small by ju-ju be?

I am desperately seeking a new bag. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
Allison

boogiemom
02-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi Allison-

I think this is a tough one. I am also looking for a smaller bag for quick trips. I have owned the JUJUBE Be Small for a very brief time. I found it to be too small to do much of anything with, honestly. It didn't have a cup holder of any kind. That was the biggest problem, I think. This means you always have to put the bottle/cups inside and you have to pack it "just so" so it doesn't tip over and spill all over everything else. This also means you are rearranging everything each time you have to put a cup in there as everything kind of falls over when you take the cup out. Unless your wallet is very small, I don't think all of this would fit in this bag. It does have a pocket in the front but it's not very deep. My wallet didn't fit in there. Maybe it wasn't too small but just not organized right for me.

I'm interested in the Swagg but don't have one yet. It seems like it would be the type of bag that you could stuff but also wouldn't look weird if you didn't have much in it that day. Let us know if you give this one a try. I know there are moms on the babybags board who have tried this one. There might be a review over there.

Good Luck!

ckleist
02-09-2006, 04:23 PM
How about a Donner by Overland Equipment? It is smaller than the LE LT and much lighter. I think it might be just big enough to hold what you need. It's not a pretty bag, more of a sporty bag, but cute. I know several mom's on babybags had one and liked it. The bottle holders are not insulated though.

http://www.ebags.com/overland_equipment/donner/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=19375

www.overlandequipment.com

callalillyanne
02-09-2006, 04:59 PM
The T&L Small Bebe is pretty (!!!) and has pretty decent organization. There is a bottle pocket, one large slip pocket, and then I think two elasticized pockets on the other side of the bag. Plus there are two outside slip pockets on the front, and then a zippered pocket on the back.

I pack pretty much what you do, and everything fits great with room to spare! I find it very comfortable on my shoulder with a nice strap drop too.

I have a Swagg, and even with as little as I pack it is a tight fit. I think that I need to master packing it for optimum space, though. There is a compartment in the back that houses a changing pad and you can fit a couple dipes, and maybe wipes. Then there is a main compartment that has a cup holder and I think a zippered pocket. The front pocket has an organizer and is like a mommy pocket. I bought a Fleurville wristlet that is nice and compact to put in this compartment. It works well.

I know some people have said the strap on the Swagg is a little long for them to wear it over the shoulder, but I personally don't mind. I haven't tried it in backpack mode yet, but it looks simple.

I HTH a little! I'll try to answer any other questions if you have them! ;)

babybear
02-09-2006, 06:08 PM
I have the Ju-Ju-Be Be Smart and it is great for a small bag. It has lots of organization which is nice. Also I could take it without the kids and it does not look like a diaper bag.

Desirea

jeminaal
02-09-2006, 11:20 PM
I second the recommendation of the Overland Equipment Donner! I have one and use it ALL the time. It's comfortable to wear and well organized.

Good luck in your search.

kkae12
02-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks SO much for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it. I was researching all the bags suggested and I have a few more questions:

Tani, thanks for the info on the Be Small. I definately wouldn't like to set up the bag again everytime I took something out. Thanks for the help.

1. Overland: CKleiest/Jeminaal: Thanks for the suggestion. I really like the Donner (it looks organized from the picture)however, it looks really big on the model, is it? Would the Lole bag or Austin be too small?

2. Timi and Leslie small: Anne, does it have a zipper on the top? Also, do you find things are harder to reach b/c it's tall? I've never had a tall bag. Lastly, does it hang on the shoulder?

Swagg- Anne, does the shoulder strap not adjust? Could it hang on the stroller? Is the bottle holder insulated inside?

3. Ju-ju Be Smart- Desirea, can you carry it on your shoulder? I'm assuming it probably couldn't hang on your stroller.

Lastly, what do you guys think about the Lexie Barnes bags. The darling looks small and so do their totes. I'm not sure about the strap for the totes, though. After being away from this board for a couple months I come back and read about bags I don't remember seeing before- like a kid in the candy store.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
Allison

heatherlynn
02-10-2006, 09:59 AM
I like my Swagg a lot! I use it as a quick trip bag for my 2 in diapers. If you take out the changing pad and use a disposable one, you'll have a lot more space, imo.

I have in mine:

2 diapers (1 size 4, 1 size 1-2)
disposable changing pad
huggies travel wipes case
sippy cup
bottle
occasionally an 8-oz RTF Similac can
fleurville wristlet
phone
keys
sunglasses
coupons
pen
lip balm

I think that's it! I love that I can keep the diaper things not only separate, but also zippered, so even if I'm out by myself, no one needs to know that it's a diaper bag.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

jeminaal
02-10-2006, 11:45 AM
>1. Overland: CKleiest/Jeminaal: Thanks for the suggestion.
>I really like the Donner (it looks organized from the
>picture)however, it looks really big on the model, is it?

Hi Allison,

Just checked the picture. It does look big on her, doesn't it? IMO, I think the model might be on the petite side, LOL! It truly doesn't look that big when I wear it, but then again, I'm not exactly what you call a thin person (I'm average weight and height, whatever that means). It also looks from the picture that the bag is stuffed to its maximum. While I don't usually stuff the Donner to its capacity, it probably would look like that if I did.

Anyway, here are the dimensions of the bag:

9.5� x 7� x 4�

As posted above, Ebags sells the Donner and the customer reviews of the bag might help you decide.

http://www.ebags.com/overland_equipment/donner/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=19375#testimonialJump

Edited to add: Forgot that a PP already posted the link to ebags. Sorry!

And if you happen to have an REI near where you live, you can check it out IRL. That's where I purchased mine.

HTH!

callalillyanne
02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
>2. Timi and Leslie small: Anne, does it have a zipper on the
>top? Also, do you find things are harder to reach b/c it's
>tall? I've never had a tall bag. Lastly, does it hang on the
>shoulder?
>
>Swagg- Anne, does the shoulder strap not adjust? Could it
>hang on the stroller? Is the bottle holder insulated inside?
>
>Lastly, what do you guys think about the Lexie Barnes bags.
>The darling looks small and so do their totes. I'm not sure
>about the strap for the totes, though. After being away from

Hi again Allison!

To answer your questions:

The T&L Small Bebe doesn't have a zipper on the top. It has a snap closure at the top. There is a zippered pocket on the back of the bag near the top, though. Honestly, the tallness of the bag hasn't bothered me thus far. The organization is good so that keeps little things out of the way, plus I use cosmetic bags to organize so that helps, too. It hangs on the shoulder really nicely, IMO. I am really happy with the strap drop length.

The strap on the Swagg adjusts quite a bit! But when it is adjusted to the smallest it will go, it is longer than most straps when they are adjusted to the smallest setting, KWIM? It hasn't bothered me, since I like a longer shoulder strap in the first place. Oh, and the strap I think would easily hang over the stroller when adjusted ;)

The Lexie Barnes Darling would probably be a nice size for you, too. It is a little bigger than the T&L Small and definitely bigger than the Swagg. The nice part about the Darling I think is that you can carry very little in it and it doesn't look funny, IYKWIM. It's just a very nice bag- the laminate coating on the fabric doesn't make it stiff- it's very soft and flexible. Fun prints, too!

The Lexie Barnes totes hold a lot more than you would think, also. I have a picture of one packed, PM me if you'd like to see ;) I think the strap drop is really nice on these two, it sits really well on the shoulder, and has no slip straps! The newer version of the tote has a nice nylon bottom, too.

I HTH! It's fun deciding, isn't it? :)

kkae12
02-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks, again, for everyone's help. I think I'm definately going to end up getting a few new bags here instead of one.

I do have an REI nearby so I can check out the donner there.

Anne, I am definitely interested in any info you have on the Lexie Barnes tote, but I don't know what PM means. I'm kind of internet challenged. I know what IM is, but I don't know how to do that either.

Thanks!
Allison

tmrbwilson1998
02-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Sorry to butt in! I just had to put in my two cents about the LB bags! I have a small Bebe and a LB Darling, and I LOVELOVELOVE the Darling! Like Anne said, it looks great whether packed or nearly empty! I have a brand-new 3-yr old and a 6-mo old and since I got this bag right before Christmas, I have used it just about every day. For me, it is very organized, so comfy to wear (I love it as a messenger and also use it as a tote), and it is just so cute!

Here is what I pack:

In the large open area:
-one diapees/wipees holder with 2 pull-ups, 2 sz 4 Cruisers and one hard wipes case
-2 cosmetic pouches (1 has first-aid supplies, 1 has Mommy items)
-thin change of clothes
-the nylon drawstring bag that comes with the bag for dirty duds I use to hold teething toys for baby, toys for tot

In the pockets inside:
-1st larger pocket has my Fleurville wristlet
-2nd larger pocket has lotion, anti-bac cleaner, my chapstick
-1st smaller pocket has pen, post-it pad, granola bar, raisins
-2nd smaller pocket has cell phone
-3rd smaller pocket has digital camera

External pockets:
-back slip pocket has thin changing mat (from a Fleurville bag)
-front flat pockets (I have cell phone earpiece in one and receipts and coupons in the other)

When I just have one little one with me, I empty out the extras and the bag is still great!

HTH!
Tina

PS I think PM means Private Message? :)

Ohio_Mom
02-12-2006, 06:54 AM
The Darling is a great bag for a medium packer with a toddler. I have both a T&L Small BeBe bag and a LB Darling to carry around all that I need for myself and my 22 month old, and I find both of them to be a perfect size. The LB bag gets the most use, though, because it is so comfortable, convenient, and... well, just cute. :-)

I would definitely recommend the Darling over a tote, though, if you go with a LB. Quite honestly, I was unimpressed with the tote that I ordered (and returned) from LB, whereas the Darling I'm completely in love with. You can definitely pack it up to the gills, but it still feels light and is easy and comfortable to carry when fully packed.

New prints for the LB bags will be out in April. I don't know what kind of a time frame you have in mind for getting a new bag, but if you're not 100% sold on any of her current prints, you'll have a fresh batch to choose from in a couple more months.

The T&L bag is a nice tote, IMO, and I do enjoy carrying it. It's a little fancy for an everyday bag, and the vinyl covering makes it heavier-feeling than the Darling to me when it's packed up; however, the tote style is great for some purposes when you really just want to be able to reach in and grab something quickly and easily rather than having to unzip and dig for what you want. There's not much organization to the T&L bag, but that doesn't bother me much because I already organize my stuff into various mesh pouches before packing them in the bag, so my gear is "pre-organized" anyway, LOL.

If you just want one bag for toddler gear, I'd definitely say to go with the Darling. If I had to reduce my bag stash to one, that's the one I'd keep.

kkae12
02-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Hi ladies,

Wow! This site (and the yahoo board) is so, so dangerous. I came on looking for a small bag, and so far I bought 3 new bags! And I'm still going!

I bought a pink Swagg. Thanks for the reviews Anne and Heather.

I bought a Fleurville wristlet. (to fit in the pocket- thanks for the suggestion)

I can't wait to get the Swagg and wristlet- they ship Monday from Expressive Toys- which is GREAT (also learned about through this site)

I also went to REI to look for the donner- was sold out. They're getting in new ones next week.

Oh,and how's this for a purchase I REALLY didn't need. I bought a ST based to carry as a bigger all day bag (mind you I already have a Kate Spade, Mothership, A7 and Avent Kit bag backpack) so I clearly did not need this purchase. I returned some gifts to Nordstrom yesterday and had a store credit- well, off I went to get a gold flower ST that I learned about through all these reviews! It's so pretty and it made me so happy. I'm such a dork.

Now, I'm really into these Lexie Barnes bags and keep researching them but I'll think I'll wait for the new patterns. That's why I got a Swagg, to tide me over!

Ha!! Thanks for all the suggestions and help. You guys are the BEST. I will keep coming to this board weekly as my addiction is back and in full force and I have to keep track of these Lexie Barnes bags, too.

Thanks!
Allison

babybear
02-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I totally understand. Recently I joined the babybags group and also bought 4 bags. My DH would kill me if he knew how much I paid for them. I am now trying to sell some that are not my favs. I still want a Ju Ju Be All but am waiting until June. I also would love a Poshbaby but it is really too expensive to justify it. I am now only going to purchase something if it is a steal :).

Desirea

Emmas Mom
02-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Just wanted to jump in & say that Fleurville is coming out with a smaller version of the ST in April (that's per David at Fleurville). I'm VERY interested to see what it's going to look like & what colors they will have. :)

jennab
02-20-2006, 10:06 AM
My two cents - I LOVE my Vera Bradley Carry all. I easily justified the cost (around $75 on Ebay) because I can carry it when my two will be toddlers (if it survives!) Lots of inside & outside pockets, and it doesn't look like a diaper bag.

Doesn't come with a changing pad, but I have SO many from other diaper bags (LOL) that it doesn't pose an issue.

PLUS, I'm really liking the Skip Hop Pronto for outings to the mall/zoo/botanical garden - it stays in the stroller basket, so I don't have to dig in the diaper bag at all...

valdivan
03-17-2006, 11:33 PM
I have to give another vote to the LB Darling!!! I use it daily as a work bag and then as a diaper bag on weekends and it holds up so perfectly well! I can strap it onto any shopping cart with the stroller straps and the exterior mesh bottle holders are big enough to hold a 1 Liter bottle of water, sippy cup, or my tall coffee mug - so i just love it! It really is a great bag although the Swagg looks just as nice - but if it doesn't work out for you, definitely give the Darling another look!

hth,
ann

pampamz
03-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Does the LB Darling have fabric with a vinyl overlay (like Fleurville) or is it a vinyl printed fabric (kwim?). Allison -- how do you like the Swagg?

tmrbwilson1998
03-21-2006, 08:54 AM
The Darlings (the ones with the patterns, anyway I know) are like a fused vinyl-y feel, so instead of 2 layers, one fabric and one vinyl, there is one, soft, very pliable layer of the two materials fused together. Very flexible and "bendy," unlike T&L or F'ville!

HTH!
Tina