PDA

View Full Version : Which diaper bags to take to Palm Springs??

bubbaray
02-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Ladies, I need your help! We are braving our first airplane trip with DD and going to Palm Springs in a couple of weeks. I have no idea what diaper bag to take and think I might even take a few.

Here are my thoughts:

For the plane, I will take the LE DIA. DH will take the LE Backpack (new version). DD has her own little travel suitcase (carry on size) for toys and distractions. I figure between the DIA and LE Backpack, we should be able to fit in all our usual carry on stuff, plus things for DD (diapers and change(s) of clothes).

Once we get to PS, though, I can't see lugging the DIA around. I'm taking an Atlantico stroller, so I was thinking that the Skip Hop Duo would be a good choice -- packs flat, holds drinks in the pockets, hangs on stroller.

I could also take: Ameribag Tote, SH Dash, LE LT, T2 Metro, T2 Small messenger, T2 Medium messenger, LL Bean diaper bag.... There are a few others (nicer), but I'd rather take a somewhat durable bag, KWIM?

Thoughs???

TIA
Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

Momof3Labs
02-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Too many carry on bags! Really, with all you'll be juggling (stroller, car seat, toddler), I'd stick with one or maybe two carry-ons max. Cut back your carry on stuff to the bare necessities (usually revolving around your DD, and anything that can't be checked like medications or a laptop).

The Skip Hop sounds like a good choice once you get there, although perhaps take the Dash because it gives you more flexibility should you be gone from the hotel, say, all day.

bubbaray
02-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I should have said that the "at destination" bag would NOT be a carry on, but I would put it empty in my checked suitcase.

Do you think that the DIA, backpack and a small kids suitcase is too much? I just thought that keeping all the toys together and giving DD her own (Pooh!) suitcase would keep her busy on the plane. I also thought that b/c we got DD a paid-fare seat, I should "take advantage" of her getting a baggage allowance!

This is HARD -- DH and I are used to each having our own (stuffed!) carry ons for plane travel. I thought it was going to be hard to take all DD's (non-toy) necessities in our carry ons!

Sigh. :(

OK, now I have to re-think this. Thanks for the help, though!

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

audball
02-09-2006, 03:21 PM
I know lots of folks swear by backpacks for plane trips, but I've had much better luck with my T2 Medium. I took this for the carry on (dividing up things in smaller cosmetics and ziplocs) and then packing my Chester backpack in my suitcase for once we reached our destination...

What we did was put our things in one T2 Medium and diaper bag type stuff/distraction stuff/toys in the other T2. Honestly, with as much entertaining as our kiddo needed at the time, neither of us had time to indulge in anything we used to carry in our carry-on (mags, books, music) except for maybe drinking the water!

bubbaray
02-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Hmmm, that's a thought. DH will be toting the backpack or T2 and I'm not sure he'd go for that (more of a backpack kinda guy).

That's a VERY good point about not having time to use our "regular" carryon stuff -- I hadn't thought about it that way.

Definitely going to re-think this now! ;)

Thanks!
Melissa

Maya Papaya!

Momof3Labs
02-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Yep, I think that the DIA, backpack and kids suitcase is 1-2 carry-ons too many for a relatively short flight. She probably can't be counted on to pull her suitcase through the airport, so you'll be juggling that in addition to your bags and all the gear. Imagine getting through security! And I'm not sure what you'd put in your own carry-ons that you would actually have time to pull out, except maybe a granola bar and a bottle of water. Also, she doesn't need a full suitcase of toys on the plane - that's just that much more to get put away at the end of the trip, and things get lost under the seat, rolling down the aisle, etc. Even though I don't pack a lot of activities for the plane for DS, we always end up not using 80% of them.

Go ahead and take advantage of her baggage allowance if you want, but do it through checked bags. But again, keep in mind that you may have to haul those all inside the airport depending on the airline, airport, and quirks you run into on your travel days - so again, keeping it to one, maybe two larger suitcases is a better way to go.

bubbaray
02-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Pulled out our suitcases to "test pack" and I will be able to fit all of DD's clothes/diapers/necessities into DH's and my suitcases. DH's & my suitcases clip together one person can handle the stroller/carseat/carryons & suitcases, while the other person has DD.

Still debating the carry on situation. NOw I'm thinking of perhaps skipping the true diaper bag and going with a regular carry-on -- bigger, but less organized.

I'm returning the Pooh suitcase I got DD for the trip. Her toys will have to be in our carryons.

If I buy a lot in PS, I can always buy another suitcase (or perhaps take an empty duffle bag with me) and use it for her checked baggage allowance on the way back.

I think your advice to take as few bags as possible is wise. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

Momof3Labs
02-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Stick with a carry-on that is easy to get into and fits at your feet, so you can pull things out as needed during the trip, and don't have to wait for the seatbelt light to go off to get into the bag.

bubbaray
02-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks, again, Lori. Gonna go with the DIA and the LE backpack for DH to carry.... Both will fit under the seat.

Thanks for all your help! :)

Melissa

Maya Papaya!