PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Diaper Bag for Trip to Disney World with a 23 month old...

OctoberPrincess
02-12-2006, 12:50 PM
We just booked our trip to Walt Disney World in May. Our flight would be 3 hours and we will be staying at a Disney resort if that means anything. I would like to know what type of diaper bag I will need with me, I will be taking my Mac Texchno with me and currently own a black corduroy SH Duo, a Bumble Bag Jessican, and was considering purchasing and Silverline Swagg or Overlander Donner thanks to your reviews. I am wondering if any of these bags would be suitable for the trip or should I consider another more practical bag all together? Will I need 2 diaper bags (one for the plane trip and one for the theme parks)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Momof3Labs
02-12-2006, 01:41 PM
I like having two diaper bags in the theme parks. You are constantly leaving your stroller for shows and rides, but it really isn't necessary to carry every sippy cup or diaper on every ride, kwim? So we pack a small bag (like the LE Little Tripper) with camera, wallets, park passes, a small snack (like a box of raisins) and a sippy of water, and that goes on all the rides with us. We pack another bag (Skip Hop) with diapers, wipes, extra snacks, extra sippy, etc. and leave that with the stroller at all times. If anything disappeared from that bag, it wouldn't ruin our day, ya know?

Though with a tippy stroller like the Techno, the Skip Hop may not be the right bag for you in the parks. Try something that fits in the basket when it is packed, and only throw a bag over the handles if it comes off to go on every ride with you.

We usually take a bigger bag, like the Timbuk2 Medium or LE backpack on the airplane, but don't need a huge bag like that in the parks.

One thing - it will be HOT in May, so I wouldn't recommend a backpack for the parks. Pick something that will fit on your stroller handles or in the basket instead!

OctoberPrincess
02-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I think I will get a plain Duo for the Techno (I have Tip-Me-Nots so tipping is not an issue) and a Overland Donner or LT to take with me on rides.

Can I ask why everyone needs such a big bag for the airplane? It's only a 3 hour flight so I guess I'm just not sure why there is so much I would need to pack? I'm thinking 3 diapers, wipes, changing pad, hand sanitizer, bib, snacks, 2 sippy cups, and a travel doodle pro would be enough(along with a wallet and all paperwork we may need for the trip)???? Couldn't we get by with say the a skip hop for me to carry, carseat, and duffle for DH to carry?

Ami
02-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Rule of thumb, 1 diaper for every hour on the plane plus an extra 2 for contingency. I have been stuck on airstrip tarmacs for an extra 2 hours with a wet and hungry child you are glad that you overpacked! Extra toys, books and surprises are a godsend. A first aid kit - tylenol, infant gravol. Take an extra shirt for yourself in case baby pukes on you. I also carry my video and digital camera. Extra clothes for baby, her blankie, I also use to pack my daughter's CD player and headset so she could listen to her tunes in the plane.

I may overpack but it is worth it for the peace of mind and to ensure that your trip goes as smoothly as possible.

Ami

Momof3Labs
02-15-2006, 08:12 AM
You have to pack that diaper bag to cover you from the time you arrive at the airport until you get to your hotel, pretty much. That's a lot longer than 3 hours, even with no flight delays. So you're packing for more like 6-7 hours (in hopes that it won't be that long). For starters, bring more than 2 sippy cups (or have a plan on how to refill them) and a change of clothes for him. And a lot more than 3 diapers. You'll need a meal for him in there somewhere (planes don't serve much food these days). And more than just a doodle pro for entertainment.

I also put my valuables in there that I won't check - medications, camera, video camera, etc.

OctoberPrincess
02-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks again, you both gave me tons to think about....forgot about that fact that we have to be at the airport at least 1.5 hours before departure. Now I have to think of ideas to occupy DS's time while we are at the airport/on the plane. I'm thinking I will go with the Land's End Back Pack for the airport. I will definitely have to bring a change of clothes and extra diapers, a first aid kis, plus some extra drinks and toys.

Can you tell I'm very inexperienced when it comes to flying with DS???